It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

BlueMooner: I read one of the threads here when I first learned of it, the one where everyone was an appliance in an house. IIRC it had a 48 hour window.
I was in that game and I don't remember there being anywhere as near as strict a deadline. Are you sure you're not thinking of nights? Nights are when people do things, the only people discussing things at night are the mafia (unless the town has some roles that allow it). It makes sense to have a shorter window for that since most people just need to submit an action or just wait for the day.
This is the first forum I've played mafia in...on...at....whatever, where the day/night phase was as long. Other game sites I've been involved in have been more typical of what Krypsyn spoke about (hence all my whining early on).

I'm fortunate to be able to log on at my job and check things so that may give me something others don't have. However, I think a week would be quite sufficient to fill a day with spam and intrigue....coupled with a 48 hour nighty night.
Seem to remember Zchinque tried to run a quick game that would only last several hours. But weren't enough people online at the time. Would be interesting to see a game with short deadlines.

Though personally I like a leisurely pace as gives game chance to evolve and unexpected things to happen. Of course the problem comes when not all players are posting and then active ones stop posting as well. As waiting for less active ones to post.

Can't seem to find a sign up thread for next game, does that mean gog mafia is on holiday?
SirPrimalform: I was in that game and I don't remember there being anywhere as near as strict a deadline.
I could well be wrong. I read the thread after it was all over and spent time reading the posts, not the dates. Perhaps I just remember people mentioning "48" and me thinking it applied to the days.

pazzer: Can't seem to find a sign up thread for next game, does that mean gog mafia is on holiday?
Oh Noez!!! The sign-up thread is the first victim!
Vitek:
Vitek, you are called upon to host GOG Forum Mafia #16. Do you accept this duty?
TheGOGfather: .........

Do you accept this duty?
giggle............dooty

I am way to muhchoore for this place!!
BlueMooner: I read one of the threads here when I first learned of it, the one where everyone was an appliance in an house. IIRC it had a 48 hour window.
Day 1 there lasted 7 days. Day 1 is almost always the longest. and days get shorter and shorter as there is less players left and less things to discuss.
Day 1 in last game lasted 44 days! It's more than 6 times longer. I certainly know what I prefer and what I enjoyed more. There was no deadline in game 4 (appliances) and yet we were able to end it in seven days, so it's entirely our fault that it takes so long. If I am going to really mod game, I am going to make it closer to the game 4 than Game 15 in length. But 44 days long day is more excemption than rule. And don't worry, even if it takes long, it doesn't mean it consumes all that time. It is quite sufficent to post once per day, although more is optimal for game to proceed faster.
But even when some says it is time consuming, you can succeed even with more laidback approach. As long as you post and share your thoughts, but you don't need to spend hours on game daily.

My personal thought is that 12-players game shouldn't last more than 2 months. That Game 4 was even over in 1 month. Worst so far was Game 11 (16 players) which lasted almost 6 months! I think no one wants to repeat this one.
This one wasn't actually too bad except day 1. Whole game lasted 88 days and 44 of this was day 1. If day 1 was half in length, then the game would have optimal length.
I think bazilišek's deadlines are quite appropriate. How was it? Number of players+7?

pazzer: Seem to remember Zchinque tried to run a quick game that would only last several hours. But weren't enough people online at the time. Would be interesting to see a game with short deadlines.

Though personally I like a leisurely pace as gives game chance to evolve and unexpected things to happen. Of course the problem comes when not all players are posting and then active ones stop posting as well. As waiting for less active ones to post.

Can't seem to find a sign up thread for next game, does that mean gog mafia is on holiday?
Yeah, only few of us signed for it.
Active people stop to post after while because the are either waiting for inactive, they run out of topics to discuss or because there simple isn't enough of them to achieve lynch and they end in deadlock until some of missing players gets replaced and join some side.

TheGOGfather: Vitek, you are called upon to host GOG Forum Mafia #16. Do you accept this duty?
Don't know yet. I need to think about it a bit. I need to finish the setup anyway, so it would take few days before I could launch it.

I want to emphasise that I really mean my words about activity and I will enforce my rules by force. If players are obliged to post at least once each 36 or 48 hours, they must post. If they don't post and don't notify me about their absence in advance, they will be prodded. 3 prods and you are out. If I have to kill 6 town players or all mafias, because of this, I will do it.
I'd still like to do a couple of blitz games, so if five+ of you can get together... woohey!

Also, GOGfather, you suck at contacting people. I ain't been contacted for nothing.
I'd be up for a blitz game on an evening when I'm free. I guess we'd need most players to be in (or in the rough area of) the mod's timezone though. A cross-atlantic game might be difficult for some.
SirPrimalform: I'd be up for a blitz game on an evening when I'm free. I guess we'd need most players to be in (or in the rough area of) the mod's timezone though. A cross-atlantic game might be difficult for some.
Since I work the graveyard shift I'm awake at odd hours and would be available at unusual hours. I would be up for anything ....contrary to what the snooty brits might say... ;-)
Post edited May 30, 2013 by flubbucket
Well I think our evening would be your midday-afternoon (depending on how far west you live). Alternatively, your evening would be my early hours of the morning, a time when I am sometimes awake if I'm not doing anything the next day, so I might be up for one in US timezones.
Vitek: I think bazilišek's deadlines are quite appropriate. How was it? Number of players+7?
Ugh, so it would be nearly 3 weeks for a 12 player game?! Divide that by two with (NumberOfPlayers+7)/2 and I am with ya... barely.

Vitek: I want to emphasise that I really mean my words about activity and I will enforce my rules by force. If players are obliged to post at least once each 36 or 48 hours, they must post. If they don't post and don't notify me about their absence in advance, they will be prodded. 3 prods and you are out. If I have to kill 6 town players or all mafias, because of this, I will do it.
I do like this. This is actually what I was accustomed to on other forums. One request though... modkilled players do not have their role or affiliation stated. Let night actions uncover it, if need be, but don't just give it out for free. It is a judgment call with that one, but I find letting players know that multiple power roles have died from modkills can really unbalance a game.
Krypsyn: Ugh, so it would be nearly 3 weeks for a 12 player game?! Divide that by two with (NumberOfPlayers+7)/2 and I am with ya... barely. .
Reality is, it should still NEVER get that long. RVS tends to be the leading cause of a lot of Day 1 'planned time', since as a mod you have little control over when or how it ends. I sorta think that the group as a whole has had a habit of an overly cautious town, using all of the time and abusing the harder to read (And thus harder to lynch anyone on the wagon if a bad lynch goes through) wagons. I do like the decisiveness in the earlier games overall, it made things more interesting.
TwilightBard: RVS tends to be the leading cause of a lot of Day 1 'planned time', since as a mod you have little control over when or how it ends.
Kryp hate RVS. Kryp SMASH!

In all seriousness, I do my darnedest in every game I play, regardless of role or affiliation, to exit RVS with great haste. One or two RVS posts per person is really all it should take, in my opinion.
SirPrimalform: Well I think our evening would be your midday-afternoon (depending on how far west you live). Alternatively, your evening would be my early hours of the morning, a time when I am sometimes awake if I'm not doing anything the next day, so I might be up for one in US timezones.
So you're saying this week is next week's last week...

I'm drunk here are you drunk there??