It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

trentonlf: Normally I would toss my name into the hat, but I will have to ask to not be considered as my time will be very limited for the foreseeable future.
cristigale: Congrats on the promotion!
Thanks cristi!
"Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game."

Ha. Hahahahahahahahaha! Yeah, I'm out. Simply reading 500+ posts in 5 minute intervals isn't doable, much less reading for content, and especially at my reading speed.

yogsloth: If handed a box full of tasty Bavarian creme doughnuts, I will not eat.
I will totally eat them. Gimme gimme.

medamiedo: to maybe learn how to play properly (:

But I don't know if I will play yet. For now just thinking about it.
Define "properly". Also, feel free to just hang out in the observer thread during games. Easy place to ask questions and get answers while you decide about whether to play.
Welcome, medamiedo! Stick around, follow a game or two, jump right in - you will soon enough discover there's no such thing as "playing properly" here. ;-D

I'm ok with sending anyone who's ready to commit to having as much fun as they can.

flubbucket: Agreed.
Make me have time, then send JMich? I can get behind this.
Lifthrasil: If yogs is out, I would vote to make HSL have time and sent him! Or JMich.
Agreed as well. Making HSL having time is an excellent choice. Not sure how I would be able to help him with that though.
And no, I'm not interested in such a plain setup, especially with people I don't know. If the setup had roles, I might have been interested, but no interest in a pure vanilla game.
I don't mean to distract from the Championship discussion, but before I forget, I do want to throw two topics out there for group consideration.

1) What are people's thoughts about a replacement that replaces in, but is killed before having a chance to do anything (basically JMich this game)? Obviously, if the replacement received PM data (like a role, or lack thereof) then they're out for good. I'm more talking about games similar to pure vanilla.

The simplest answer is "once your name is in the game, you're done when you're removed", with acknowledgement that modkills on people that suddenly can't play can disrupt or even change the momentum.

2) Forum bans are a thing now. How are we planning to deal with them?
Bookwyrm627: I don't mean to distract from the Championship discussion, but before I forget, I do want to throw two topics out there for group consideration.

1) What are people's thoughts about a replacement that replaces in, but is killed before having a chance to do anything (basically JMich this game)? Obviously, if the replacement received PM data (like a role, or lack thereof) then they're out for good. I'm more talking about games similar to pure vanilla.

The simplest answer is "once your name is in the game, you're done when you're removed", with acknowledgement that modkills on people that suddenly can't play can disrupt or even change the momentum.

1.) while I was initially okay with it, I think it can have unforseen issues and add complexities that detract from a quality game, and I say we just don't do it, ever

2.) burn the moderators - errrr, in seriousness, if there are replacements available, I think maybe it should warrant a force-replace, not fully decided on that, but to uphold the integrity of the game I think it might be the best choice? I mean, I don't really figure ANYONE here would do this at all, but, someone could purposefully get a forum ban to help their in-game situation, OR, at least, someone else could argue "they are scum and got forum-banned on purpose so they didn't have to deal with the immediate heat they were getting" or whatever. More likely the issue would be less heinous (like a stalled game or everyone waiting around until I get back to answer 1 simple question so things can move forward - that just potentially can really hurt the game.)
medamiedo: Hello mafia peoples. I am a newbie and I have thought to come here to maybe learn how to play properly (:

But I don't know if I will play yet. For now just thinking about it.
let us know if you need any help setting up the bit of script (soooo non-invasive or resource-using!) that allows you to ISO people

or how to do an avatar (which might take a while to show up)

or whatever else

also, if you want, I think ppl would be interested to hear where you come from and how you do "mafia" there (:
Post edited April 05, 2017 by drealmer7
Bookwyrm627: snip
My thought is to not announce the replacement until they actually can post. :)
So either while the day is going, or at day break. Of course if the replacement is scum, let them join night chat and announce there. Then announce also to the others outside.

Bans are a tricky topic. The most hardcore would be to enforce game breaks. I would hope we will not have many such sisutations though...
yogsloth: *ahem*

So...

Ah.

This is a thing.

You know.

If anybody...

You know.
FYI if I end up getting involved with this I'm playing for Starmen.net's community.
Brasas: Bans are a tricky topic. The most hardcore would be to enforce game breaks. I would hope we will not have many such sisutations though...
I really don't forsee any of our regulars getting a ban. I'm probably most likely for my tendancy to go off at the stupids, but, I'ma not do that (:
Bookwyrm627: I don't mean to distract from the Championship discussion, but before I forget, I do want to throw two topics out there for group consideration.

Question #1 - I already expressed my concerns regarding this within the context of the setup we had at hand, and the whole voting process. I haven't put any thought into it since, but it seems to me that the only setup lending itself to attempt this would be an all vanilla one. If I'm overlooking something, please point it out.

Question #2 - I'd expect those having committed to an active game to be sensible enough to refrain from breaking any of the forum rules, so that they don't get banned in the first place. This will probably sound blunt, but when one's in an active game, they do have to be considerate of the mod and the other players, and exhibit a tad more self-control when perusing the rest of the forum.

It seems to me that it's a matter of trust, and people putting their responsibility to the game before their desire to get into a forum-rules breaking spat with someone. drealmer7 suggests a forced replacement, but we have enough problems finding subs as it is, so not sure if it's even viable. Brasas mentions game-breaks; sounds a bit more realistic (provided that scum-chat is closed during the break), but could lead to games dragging on for ever - what if someone gets a week long ban? And what about repeat "offenders"? Either in the same game, or subsequent games?

Not sure what would be the best way to deal with this, would like to hear more views, and certainly those of the forum mafia administration.

Brasas: My thought is to not announce the replacement until they actually can post. :) [...]
Not sure I follow, what purpose does this serve? And isn't keeping town in the dark while scum makes use of night chat, etc. giving scum an advantage?
HypersomniacLive: Not sure I follow, what purpose does this serve? And isn't keeping town in the dark while scum makes use of night chat, etc. giving scum an advantage?
If JMich had not been announced as replacement to anyone before D2, the whole situation / dilemma would have been avoided? If Gamma would get the NK, whihc is unlikely, then JMich would still be in the replacement pool, not actually having entered the game. If someone else gets the NK, then JMich enters the game and situation normal follows. He will not be considered for a second sub, just like a normal player would not - because he has already interacted in game.

I don't see how announcing the replacement later gives anyone an advantage. The scum replacement scenario is only me thinking: "well scum could be announced at day end since obviously they won't get NKed" with the obvious oops ocurring immediately, therefore the idea they can be announced at day start like anyone else but allowed to have night chat to not cripple scum. Night chat is not a scum advantage, it's just the scum normal. I did not assume daychat.

And all this is an exception to a replacement in the middle of a day. So IMO just be careful with timing of replacements and there will be no dilemma about re-use of a sub. Never replace a player at end of day. Problem solved - well... avoided.

Not sure this wil merge, but it occurs to me to clarify, the sub would be given time to read. But he would only be given the PM upong announceement to ther players.

Also on the ban topic. A very simple approach would be to modkill a player that receives a ban. Drastic though...
Post edited April 05, 2017 by Brasas
On introducing replacements, I think ASAP they should be introduced. The reason why is that I replaced in for my first ever forum mafia game, and the host took a LONG time to get me into the main chat. Therefore, I prefer quick integration. I also think it would be weird if you have a replaced cop that wasn't announced at entry.
Brasas: If JMich had not been announced as replacement to anyone before D2, the whole situation / dilemma would have been avoided? If Gamma would get the NK, whihc is unlikely, then JMich would still be in the replacement pool, not actually having entered the game. If someone else gets the NK, then JMich enters the game and situation normal follows. He will not be considered for a second sub, just like a normal player would not - because he has already interacted in game. [...]
Eh... no, yikes! That's even worse than the whole voting thing that was considered later.

JMIch was on the public sub list. So, even if he weren't officially announced, the mere knowledge of GammaEmerald's replacement would allow everyone to put two and two together. The alternative would have been for the mod to conceal the fact that GammaEmerald would be replaced, but that would have been even worse - scum would have definitely made a different choice N1, fully expecting to have a walk in the park D2 mislynching GammaEmerald. And then at D2 break... surprise! That equals to the mod consciously putting the scum team into a disadvantage, imo.

Brasas: [...] I don't see how announcing the replacement later gives anyone an advantage. The scum replacement scenario is only me thinking: "well scum could be announced at day end since obviously they won't get NKed" with the obvious oops ocurring immediately, therefore the idea they can be announced at day start like anyone else but allowed to have night chat to not cripple scum. Night chat is not a scum advantage, it's just the scum normal. I did not assume daychat. [...].
I'm not assuming day-chat either. But look at it this way for the setup we had - knowing that JMich was going to step in, allowed me to go through scenarios for N1 and the following Day(s), taking into account that we'd no longer have GammaEmerald - GammaEmerald wasn't even among my potential N1 NK targets (for obvious reasons), while JMich was my #1; GammaEmerald's lynch was almost a certainty for D2, while JMich's was not. Because no matter how much most act as if who the player is plays no role, it does, imo.
So, if he were scum, the scum pair would be able to plan based on actuality, while town would try to strategise missing a critical piece of data. And then at D2 break.... surprise! That equals to the mod consciously putting town into a disadvantage, imo.

On a side note, knowing that GammaEmeral was out, spared me the trouble of rereading them and their interactions with others.
bler144: yeah, he crossed my mind, as did dedo, but realistically i just don't see them having the availability.
Alas, it's been quite hard to find time lately to enjoy playing with you, guys. At this point even considering playing at MU, tournament or not, is beyond imaginable...

So, let's see who is game first. The willing and able list should be a lot shorter.

Re replacement, can someone provide a bit of context, please, so I don't have to read everything to get the idea? Did JMich replace someone 1 minute before sundown and get NKed 2 minutes past? What exactly is the conundrum?
waves =)