It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Gydion: Hmm, does it work with a xbox 360 controller? Can you run SecuROM in a window?
Har har! :P

But when it comes to FEAR, yes the game can be run in a window with a " +windowed 1" command in a shortcut! But I don't know why anyone would want to play an FPS game with a controller. Use keyboard and mouse!
IronArcturus: But I don't know why anyone would want to play an FPS game with a controller. Use keyboard and mouse!
I played the Riddick games with a gamepad/controller...
rtcvb32: I played the Riddick games with a gamepad/controller...
I've tried to play FPS games with a controller on consoles, but it just isn't the same for me. One gets more control with the mouse and more functions to use with the "WASD" setup on the keyboard. Have you tried that way before?
rtcvb32: I played the Riddick games with a gamepad/controller...
IronArcturus: I've tried to play FPS games with a controller on consoles, but it just isn't the same for me. One gets more control with the mouse and more functions to use with the "WASD" setup on the keyboard. Have you tried that way before?
I've played with controller, but only on an Xbox. I would never choose to use a controller for FPS games on PC.
I also use the WASD setup, but ESDF gives you even more buttons within easy reach for various functions. WASD is just too embedded for me now though.
Kristian: Isn't the case that Valve's account blocking in connection with þeople disagreeing with TOS changes only applies to buying new games and NOT accessing already bought games?
rtcvb32: Amazon kindle had a controversy when books that were bought disappeared on their next hookup online. What were they? Animal house and 1984?
To be fair, Amazon had little choice but to delete the books since they were sold in violation of the copy right laws.
But agree that Amazon handled it very badly. Should have notified the purchasers and refunded the money and.or give the buyers free copies of the legal versions, with Amazon footing the bill. Amazon should never have let the illegal copies be sold.
Kristian: Isn't the case that Valve's account blocking in connection with þeople disagreeing with TOS changes only applies to buying new games and NOT accessing already bought games?
rtcvb32: Amazon kindle had a controversy when books that were bought disappeared on their next hookup online. What were they? Animal house and 1984?
So? How is what a completely different company in a completely different market did in a completely different situation relevant to how Valve does things?
dudalb: To be fair, Amazon had little choice but to delete the books since they were sold in violation of the copy right laws.
But agree that Amazon handled it very badly. Should have notified the purchasers and refunded the money and.or give the buyers free copies of the legal versions, with Amazon footing the bill. Amazon should never have let the illegal copies be sold.
Amazon can delete their ebooks from your devices at a distance because of the enforced DRM.
rtcvb32:
+1 for being so helpful (and patient!), and for being the main voice of reason (and patience!), in this thread.

Gydion: Hmm, does it work with a xbox 360 controller? Can you run SecuROM in a window?
+1 for making me LOL over a post I wish I'd thought to make.
darthspudius: So then it isn't as big a deal as everyone make it out to be then? Unless you have a certian set up of course. :P
So what should be the number of affected people/setups when we can consider it "a big deal"? ... 100? 1000? 10000? 1000000?
In my opinion, such anti-consumer/customer things should never exist.
In yours, you are ok with stepping on dead bodies to justify "the greater good".
Securom can be a big deal for other reasons since it is often used to implement hardware based DRM/ limited activation.
IronArcturus: Har har! :P
I'm curious: why is running games in a window important to you? Do you like to multitask? (I assume the controller just has to do with ease of use.)
Kristian: So? How is what a completely different company in a completely different market did in a completely different situation relevant to how Valve does things?
With software that you didn't write, do you really think there isn't a back door in steam's client? Sure as long as you're never on the internet such a tactic can't be duplicated by steam, but then again steam doesn't have to. Just give a simple order to revoke all digital licenses and your games don't work...

And delete the ones that are don't use steamworks...

HunchBluntley: +1 for being so helpful (and patient!), and for being the main voice of reason (and patience!), in this thread.
I mostly don't want to see this blow up without getting confirmation of what is and isn't really going on.

Besides the screenshots both shown in post 1 weren't executable and were too small and the wrong type to actually be the full SecuRom's binary. I guess you could say, things just aren't adding up just yet.
tfishell: I'm curious: why is running games in a window important to you? Do you like to multitask? (I assume the controller just has to do with ease of use.)
I like to run PC games in a window so if the game crashes it more-than-likely won't take down the entire OS. In the '90s and early 2000s, most Windows games only ran in fullscreen mode. So if a game crashed while in fullscreen, there was a much higher chance it would freeze the OS and then one would be forced to do a hard reboot. Not even Ctrl+Alt+Del would work in that case. But if a game crashed while running in windowed mode, the OS would usually be fine.

Also, running games in a window is beneficial to those who use multiple monitors. Sometimes a fullscreen game will only want to run on the wrong monitor. But a windowed game can easily be moved from monitor to monitor.
rtcvb32: I mostly don't want to see this blow up without getting confirmation of what is and isn't really going on.

Besides the screenshots both shown in post 1 weren't executable and were too small and the wrong type to actually be the full SecuRom's binary. I guess you could say, things just aren't adding up just yet.
Actually I did get an email back from Support, and they confirmed it was the "FEARMP.exe" file that was installing SecuROM on people's computers. They said this was missed during the testing phase. So the GOG devs are aware of the DRM issue with FEAR, and they said they're working to release another version that should have this problem fixed.
Post edited February 20, 2015 by IronArcturus
I think this may just be some left over components of SecuROM, not the actual protection itself. Some games may still require it to function properly. As has already been mentioned, some GOG games have the file "steam_api.dll" in the game's folder but that doesn't mean they require Steam, Divinity: Original Sin is one of these.

Since it's GOG distributing the game this can be quite alarming, but not necessarily dangerous and it doesn't mean that GOG is distributing games with DRM either.

I trust GOG and they wouldn't sell games with DRM, probably they haven't replied yet because they need to investigate this.

Do Note:

If I'm not mistaken SecuROM runs as a Service at startup, check the Services list in your PC and see if any SecuROM stuff comes up. If there's none then chances are the game only has dummy files.
Post edited February 20, 2015 by Ganni1987
Ganni1987: I trust GOG and they wouldn't sell games with DRM, probably they haven't replied yet because they need to investigate this.
They did and confirmed, FEARMP.exe installs SecuROM.
I'm happy to not have installed it yet.
Post edited February 20, 2015 by Klumpen0815