It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Good morning! Vault-Tec calling! You can't begin to know how happy I am to finally speak with you. I've been trying for days. It's a matter of utmost urgency, I assure you.

…Because Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition is now available on GOG with a -75% discount that lasts until August 31st, 2 PM UTC! That’s right, Bethesda Game Studios’ post-apocalyptic open-world RPG and another entry in their iconic franchise is ready to join your library!

We know you’ve waited and we couldn’t be happier that it is finally here. Moreover, if you want your locations enhanced and with ultra details, High Resolution Texture Pack is also available in our catalog, for free!

Make sure to also join our Twitch Stream on August 20th, 5 PM UTC and take our QUIZ to find out which main faction suits you best.

We believe that every Fallout game is a must-play title and Fallout 4 is no exception. With a unique blend of immersive storytelling, expansive exploration, and engaging gameplay mechanics, the game has captivated players' hearts and minds all over the world since its release.

At its core, Fallout 4 weaves a compelling narrative that captures the essence of survival in a world ravaged by nuclear devastation. You assume the role of the Sole Survivor, emerging from cryogenic stasis in the aftermath of the Great War, only to find yourself in a wasteland fraught with danger and mystery.

The Commonwealth, the wasteland's setting, is a sprawling expanse filled with unique locations, each with its own story to tell. From the decrepit remains of historic landmarks to the eerie beauty of irradiated forests, the world of Fallout 4 is a testament to the developers' attention to detail. Every nook and cranny holds surprises, and the exploration factor is enhanced by the inclusion of dynamic weather systems and a day-night cycle. The thrill of uncovering hidden treasures, unearthing lore, and encountering unexpected dangers is an adventure that never ceases.

Fallout 4 also introduced a revamped gameplay experience that seamlessly blends traditional RPG elements with modern mechanics. The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system, which governs character attributes, and the intricate crafting system provide a sense of progression and customization. You can modify weapons and armor, construct settlements, and even create intricate machines to aid in your survival. The introduction of the Power Armor as a formidable tool adds an element of power and excitement to battles against mutated creatures and hostile factions.

And of course, one of Fallout 4's strongest assets is its replayability. The choices you make during the game significantly impact the outcome of the story, encouraging multiple playthroughs to explore various story arcs and character interactions. The diverse range of playstyles, whether focusing on combat, diplomacy, or stealth, ensures that every experience is distinct. The Commonwealth is a canvas for limitless creativity.

We could go on and on about why we love Fallout 4 but the most important thing is that you can now enjoy it DRM-free on GOG. So enough talking. Grab your copy, make full use of the discount and embrace the Wasteland – Fallout 4 guarantees an unforgettable journey. Have a great one!
Uilos: I've never played any of the Fallout games, they're not the kind of games I go for normally, but I do love games that let you build bases and such, so I might buy it just for base building and survival if it's in the game :)
ssling: Sound like a perfect game for you then. You can focus almost entirely on base building in FO4 and it's the main reason why some people spend hundreds of hours with it.
Great! I'm going to buy it then :) Thank you!
Post edited August 18, 2023 by Uilos
Breja: And can you also entirely ignore it? Because if I play Fallout, it's to roam the wasteland as a lone gunslinger, not to manage a base/town.
Good thing is it's almost entirely optional. Unless you join one faction that focuses on settlements, you can ignore 99% of it. I think to finish the main quest it's always required to build something at one point but for that you can just put bare minimum into it and never look back. Same might be true for some side-quests.

Still I'd recommend at least to try build a personal base for yourself.
Tbh, I think Fallout 4's story would have been a lot better if they took inspiration from Kingmaker and made the story about trying to build civilization in the wasteland instead of just a rehash of Fallout 3.

Minutemen doesn't really fit Fallout 4's story as is to me, but in a story about actually building up the wasteland with settlement building being a focus rather than a diversion? That could be something nice.
Breja: And can you also entirely ignore it? Because if I play Fallout, it's to roam the wasteland as a lone gunslinger, not to manage a base/town.
That's pretty much me too. When I played the game, I never built a damn thing. :-)
Glad to know I wasn't alone.
Because at the time, I always felt like I must be playing the game wrong whenever I visited gaming forums and read about how other people were building things and I wasn't.
Post edited August 18, 2023 by GilesHabibula
ssling: Good thing is it's almost entirely optional. Unless you join one faction that focuses on settlements, you can ignore 99% of it. I think to finish the main quest it's always required to build something at one point but for that you can just put bare minimum into it and never look back. Same might be true for some side-quests..
I thought they wouldn't be daft enough to make it obligatory, but it's good to know for sure. Thanks.

GilesHabibula: That's pretty much me too. When I played the game, I never built a damn thing. :-)
Glad to know I wasn't alone.
Because at the time, I always felt like I must be playing the game wrong whenever I visited gaming forums and read about how other people were building things and I wasn't.
Lots of gamers seem to love menagerial time sinks and the like, I never got that. I refuse to even waste my time with crafting most of the time. That's what loot is for. I play such games to be a badass, not to do chores.
Uilos: In the video on the store page I thought I saw like a second of something that looked like it could be base building, is there any base building in this game, and is it just a tiny part of the game or can you focus a lot on it if you want?

I've never played any of the Fallout games, they're not the kind of games I go for normally, but I do love games that let you build bases and such, so I might buy it just for base building and survival if it's in the game :)
You can build quite a lot of bases. One of the DLC even allows you to build a huge vault (bunker).
high rated
I don't know if this has already been shared, but from the Nexus mods article regarding the Next Gen update:

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14871

"While Bethesda has continued to be very tight-lipped on the subject since announcing that Fallout 4 will get a Next-gen update during the Fallout 25th Anniversary celebration, we can confirm that this update is planned to be available on all platforms, including GOG. While it doesn't seem likely that we'll see this updated in 2023 as originally announced, it does give us something to look forward to in 2024."
tfishell: I don't know if this has already been shared, but from the Nexus mods article regarding the Next Gen update:

"While Bethesda has continued to be very tight-lipped on the subject since announcing that Fallout 4 will get a Next-gen update during the Fallout 25th Anniversary celebration , we can confirm that this update is planned to be available on all platforms, including GOG. While it doesn't seem likely that we'll see this updated in 2023 as originally announced, it does give us something to look forward to in 2024."
"Next gen" like tacked on raytracing and AI upscaled textures?
ssling: Sound like a perfect game for you then. You can focus almost entirely on base building in FO4 and it's the main reason why some people spend hundreds of hours with it.
As far as I can remember there's only one time when you really have to do build in order to proceed to the end of the story in in Fallout 4. And it's only possible if you try to completely ignore the Minutemen. This is how it works in the base game.

As for the DLC: they will try to force you to mess with the settlements, especially in Far Harbor.
Breja: Lots of gamers seem to love menagerial time sinks and the like, I never got that. I refuse to even waste my time with crafting most of the time. That's what loot is for. I play such games to be a badass, not to do chores.
Playing videogames is kinda antithesis to being a badass, especially casual stuff like Bethesda titles. If it were FromSoft title or competitive fighting games, then it might even have something with badassery!

My trolling aside, I don't think this game is good thing for lone gunslinger fantasy considering guns are hideous, and gameplay bad for a shooter. It's not Trepang for sure.
tfishell: I don't know if this has already been shared, but from the Nexus mods article regarding the Next Gen update:

"While Bethesda has continued to be very tight-lipped on the subject since announcing that Fallout 4 will get a Next-gen update during the Fallout 25th Anniversary celebration , we can confirm that this update is planned to be available on all platforms, including GOG. While it doesn't seem likely that we'll see this updated in 2023 as originally announced, it does give us something to look forward to in 2024."
Will this be an Upgrade/Update?
Or will it be a NEW ENTRY separately on Steam, GOG, etc. for digital stores?
Uilos: In the video on the store page I thought I saw like a second of something that looked like it could be base building, is there any base building in this game, and is it just a tiny part of the game or can you focus a lot on it if you want?

I've never played any of the Fallout games, they're not the kind of games I go for normally, but I do love games that let you build bases and such, so I might buy it just for base building and survival if it's in the game :)
You can build settlements almost as much as you want or don't build any at all. As others will point out, part of the main quest requires building one settlement. Building almost as much as you want is because the base game with DLCs only allows building settlements in certain places, although there are quite a few valid places.

When you get tired of building settlements, look for "Sim Settlements 2" (SS2) on Nexus.com for ways where your settlers can build their own settlements (after a little nudge by your character). SS2 can also be used by your character to help build settlements quickly.
J Lo: I prefer it without mods, with the exception of better textures. Some mods mess with game balance or the art style too much.
Mafwek: Yeah, who could forget all time classic Enchanting and Alchemy balance of vanilla Skyrim. Elden Ring never managed to achieve that level of balance and interesting gameplay!
I haven't encountered anything game breaking with enchanting and alchemy. Spamming any skills, including those two, will level up the PC - and most of the enemies in the game will be upscaled accordingly. There's still a general sense equilibrium. Many Creation Club items and third party mods were not designed with the game's ecosystem in mind. The only item I use that wasn't part of the original game is the backpack. I don't use the crusader items, but keep it on display for nostalgia's sake.

Never played Elden Ring and have zero interest in the game ATM. The comparison to that title is moot.
This is a surprise, I honestly didn't expect to see this here. But I'm glad.
Sachys: You can build quite a lot of bases. One of the DLC even allows you to build a huge vault (bunker).
Oh nice! Great to be able to build in several places instead of having to pick only one :) Thanks!

drrhodes: You can build settlements almost as much as you want or don't build any at all. As others will point out, part of the main quest requires building one settlement. Building almost as much as you want is because the base game with DLCs only allows building settlements in certain places, although there are quite a few valid places.

When you get tired of building settlements, look for "Sim Settlements 2" (SS2) on Nexus.com for ways where your settlers can build their own settlements (after a little nudge by your character). SS2 can also be used by your character to help build settlements quickly.
Thank you for the tip! :)