It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

grimwerk: Anyway, next pic. I drew it this afternoon, luckily. The first free time I've had for sketching in days. Like yours, it may be obscure. I didn't play the game much, though I'd like to.
Nice! I always like your crosshatching. I struggle with it, which might be why I like painting more. Are your drawings here usually pen or pencil?

No idea what the game is though.
Post edited October 02, 2014 by Exoanthrope
grimwerk: Aces!

I like the style of Wild Arms, though i don't have much patience for JRPGs, sadly. I don't think I've played a proper Wild West themed game since Outlaws. Maybe Steamworld Dig counts as Westernish. No gunslinging, though!

Anyway, next pic. I drew it this afternoon, luckily. The first free time I've had for sketching in days. Like yours, it may be obscure. I didn't play the game much, though I'd like to.

genkicolleen may know it.

edit:
Once again, forgot to attach pic.
Ok. Now after seeing the last 2 pistures I'm ashamed of my pictures.
Nicely drawn. I like the shading made of lines.
phandom: Ok. Now after seeing the last 2 pistures I'm ashamed of my pictures.
Nah, I like everyone in this thread's pictures, and that Gravity Gun you did was especially nice. I will admit I think Grimwerk tops us all in quality, though. I assume he's professional.
phandom: Ok. Now after seeing the last 2 pictures I'm ashamed of my pictures.
No need for that, your gun is excellent, and I'm grateful you revived the thread. (I should have said so at the time!) Plus, I recognize that those arms on the front of the gun are tricky to do well, and they seem correct to me.

Exoanthrope: Nice! I always like your crosshatching. I struggle with it, which might be why I like painting more. Are your drawings here usually pen or pencil?
I think all my drawings for this thread have been crappy 10-cent ball-point pen. That's why there are little thick blotches along some lines. (Probably more noticeable to me!) The bit I find tricksy about crosshatching is that it often looks wrong while I'm doing it. That is, til I've completed hatching a region, it can look like a new element rather than shading or coloring. I just have to trust (hope) that it's going to look right when I've finished scratching. This is especially true when the line weight of the hatching is similar to the outlines underneath.

I'm lazy about it, too! Really, I should be using the hatching to emphasize form. That is, if I'm drawing a leg, the hatch lines should curve to follow the shape of the flesh (as if they are edges of cross-sections through the leg). I just blunder 'em out at 45 degrees or whatever because I'm impatient and my hand happens to be oriented that way.

Anyway, I mostly do it to force myself to be rigid about my intent (for the sake of practice). When I start smudging, or shading using another method, my pics grow less distinct and wind up "this-is-how-it-turned-out" rather than "this-is-what-I'd-intended". If that makes any sense.

Also, I'm not professional. And happily, I think I can deflect your top quality comment towards chocolate girl, awalterj, or even yourself. And like you've said, I enjoy all the pics here. There have been lots of seemingly-simple colorful images that have made me surprisingly happy.
Post edited October 02, 2014 by grimwerk
The tree and the shrooms remind me of Don't Starve, but the fact that it is walking with a knife does not :P
grimwerk: I just have to trust (hope) that it's going to look right when I've finished scratching. This is especially true when the line weight of the hatching is similar to the outlines underneath.
Nice to know, and maybe I should invest 10 cents for a pen. All my non-digital stuff has mostly been mechanical pencil. I keep thinking about dusting off my old dip pen, but my ink is probably bad by now.
grimwerk: Really, I should be using the hatching to emphasize form. That is, if I'm drawing a leg, the hatch lines should curve to follow the shape of the flesh (as if they are edges of cross-sections through the leg). I just blunder 'em out at 45 degrees or whatever because I'm impatient and my hand happens to be oriented that way.
I see stuff like this and my head hurts just thinking about drawing like that. Though I never studied it, so I get the feeling it's not as hard as it looks. I like the angled lines you use though, gives off a comic book feel.
grimwerk: Also, I'm not professional. And happily, I think I can deflect your top quality comment towards chocolate girl, awalterj, or even yourself.
I thought for sure you were like a professional illustrator or something. And I forgot about awalterj, his stuff is phenomenal.

Anyway, I think this thread has sufficiently rekindled my drawing spirit and given me something to strive for, so I thank you all for that. My son is old enough and started preschool, so now that I have more free time I think I might start studying new techniques and get back to more serious stuff.

And now I feel I've gotten really off topic, and I still have no idea what the game is.
Post edited October 02, 2014 by Exoanthrope
Exoanthrope: All my non-digital stuff has mostly been mechanical pencil.
Mine, too. My digital stuff is in mechanical pencil, also! I haven't developed the patience for drawing digitally, so I draw in pencil, ink the lines when I'm certain, erase the pencil underneath, and scan in black and white. So all my digital pictures look a bit like coloring book pages. (e.g., monkeyscroll300.jpg)

Exoanthrope: I see stuff like this and my head hurts just thinking about drawing like that.
You've understood exactly. It seems to me I'd need to be incredibly patient to do that well.

Exoanthrope: My son is old enough and started preschool, so now that I have more free time I think I might start studying new techniques and get back to more serious stuff.
Same boat, sort of! My son is 4, and he's at school 3 times a week. But all that would-be free time is spent with my 12-month-old daughter. If you have any insights about getting your kid excited about drawing, please holler. Mine's not really keen. It's likely I'm too serious about the subject!

---

Anyway, next pic, unfinished as I expect it'd take a lot more attempts to get right! (excitebike.jpg)
Attachments:
Attachments:
grimwerk: Anyway, next pic, unfinished as I expect it'd take a lot more attempts to get right!
Both pics have reminded me of Heroes of Might and Magic, but I don't recall the treant's having swords or the centaurs having... whatever that is.

Edit: Ninja'd by third pic, now I'm even more confused.
Post edited October 03, 2014 by Exoanthrope
Exoanthrope: Both pics have reminded me of Heroes of Might and Magic, but I don't recall the treant's having swords or the centaurs having... whatever that is.

The centaur isn't a strict representation. I was never that keen on her look in the game. The other two images are reasonably accurate, I think.

Exoanthrope: ... whatever that is.
You may need to watch more American Gladiators.

edit:
New pic I didn't feel like shading properly.
Attachments:
Post edited October 03, 2014 by grimwerk
Exoanthrope: Both pics have reminded me of Heroes of Might and Magic, but I don't recall the treant's having swords or the centaurs having... whatever that is.

grimwerk: The centaur isn't a strict representation. I was never that keen on her look in the game. The other two images are reasonably accurate, I think.

Exoanthrope: ... whatever that is.
grimwerk: You may need to watch more American Gladiators.

edit:
New pic I didn't feel like shading properly.
You were the only one looking at the big cotton swabs, I just remember big bottoms :P
LoboBlanco: You were the only one looking at the big cotton swabs, I just remember big bottoms :P
Now it sounds like I may need to watch more American Gladiators.
Guys, I'll leave you a small HINT ;)
But it's up to you to figure out which of grimwerk's masterpieces I had in mind.
LoboBlanco: You were the only one looking at the big cotton swabs, I just remember big bottoms :P
grimwerk: Now it sounds like I may need to watch more American Gladiators.
I remember really liking that show when I was little, but haven't seen it since. I think it's still going, isn't it?

Anyway, thanks to Natamysza's hint, I think I finally tracked it down.

Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder? I feel bad for never knowing of this game, I love the Golden Axe series, but this one never got a home release! There's not too many good arcades around me without driving about 40 miles, either. Would it be bad of me to emulate it?
Post edited October 03, 2014 by Exoanthrope
Natamysza: Guys, I'll leave you a small HINT ;)
Rock on, Natamysza!

Exoanthrope: Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder? I feel bad for never knowing of this game, I love the Golden Axe series, but this one never got a home release! There's not too many good arcades around me without driving about 40 miles, either. Would it be bad of me to emulate it?
That's the one. I've only played it once or twice myself, as I was never much for arcades. But it's been kicking around in my head for a long time. I know the tree-man (whatever he's called) was cryptic to start, but I'd hoped centaur + pugil stick would give quick google results. Then again, it's hard to know what google actually returns now, as the results seem to be customized to individuals, and I'd definitely been searching for reference material.

I expect I'll emulate it, too!

edit:
Your turn, of course!
Post edited October 03, 2014 by grimwerk