It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Are you really going to pull this crap now that your relationship with gamers is on thin ice, GOG? REALLY? I'd seriously consider it.
high rated
john_hatcher: If everyone in this thread who is not ok with GOG‘s decission stops buying anything from GOG I think that will help them reconsider. But if you, as it‘s now winter sale, still buy games and just write some posts, GOG will surely not change their decission.
Yep. Talk is cheap. Expressions of outrage alone won't change anything, have never changed anything...
Money talks, bullshit walks. That's the language GOG understands. That's the language any business understands.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by elgonzo
high rated
I wonder where are the gamers that were against this game, it certainly sounds the opposite is right seeing the support for the game here, even though i am not into horror games much.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by Fonzer
toxicTom: Also, China doesn't have anything resembling "communism" as a form of rule or economy, it's a form of state capitalism and a bureaucratic dictatorship.

Real communism is absolutely democratic, because there is no central power (which is determined by ownership of stuff, which equals power). And that's why it doesn't work on larger scales, only in small, well... communities (where the term comes from).
Amen. I have been saying this since the dawn of times but nobody ever listens. :P

I any case, this is the famous straw that breaks the camel's back. CDProjekt in general has been spiraling downward faster than light, this last act was just vile.
First they announce they'll give space to unjustly marginalized devs (a stupid joke about China's current ruler isn't a big deal, and if God Emperor Xi can't take any kind of humor he should visit a psychiatrist for self esteem issues), then they just bend over because they could maybe lose a couple of Chinese sales.

And to think this place used to have principles; no restrictions by region, equal treatment, blah blah...
Just corporate bs now. I'm most definitely reducing my spending.
ScarletEmerald: I believe that's what's called being "more equal" than others.

And what has happened here is a State actor meddling in the free market. That is the opposite of Capitalism.
Free market is just a shark pond. And ultimately destructive. See Cyperpunk, that IS free market.

But yes, the "more equal" has been the downfall of any revolution. Irony of fate that Lenin recognised that on his death bed... and there are (plausible) stories that his last message was "prevent Stalin", which didn't get through because Stalin had his people already all around him.
high rated
NovusBogus: Weak ass move, GOG. I can sort of understand being blackmailed by Chicom--everyone knows who was responsible for baleeting Sony Pictures after all--but pretending it's some sort of popular grassroots movement is just insulting to those who know how the world works.

Relevant quote from Wikipedia:

"The moment we start becoming conservative [and] stop taking creative risks and business risks, and stop being true to what we're doing, that's when we should worry. And I am not worried. Our values and our care for what we are doing and – hopefully what gamers would agree with – care for gamers is what drives this company forward. It's my personal horror to become a faceless behemoth of game development or publishing or whatnot. As long as I am here I will be fighting for this not to happen."
— CD Projekt Red founder Marcin Iwiński, on maintaining independence[74]

Can someone find the castle where the real Marcin is being held prisoner? I think maybe he needs a rescue from the body snatchers.
What has happened is nothing more than pure greediness and all of them just cannot see the hypocrisy that they are engaging in.

Someone posted quotes recently from a few years back by Michal Kicinski the CEO of CDPR and he was quoted as saying:

“In my opinion, management spends way too much time in business discussions and not nearly enough listening to customers' comments."

Things have been bad around here for quite sometime, but are only going to get worse here on out. Your quote is just another bad string of hypocritical bullshit that you wonder if they ever believed to begin with or if it was just another sales gimmick to "get asses in seats" (sell product).
high rated
This is some absolute bullshit GOG. Weak.
Enebias: Just corporate bs now.
BUY CYBERPUNK!!
high rated
I think it's plain by looking back through my history I have been unhappy with the way GOG has conducted itself several times in the past. Each time, I have taken a long break before eventually realising nothing would change and coming back to support DRM free releases.

If anyone here actually thinks this thread and the comments on the Twitter post will change anything, you are very mistaken. They do not care about anything other than their bottom line, and that China money must sure sound good.

Devotion looks like a genuinely fantastic game, made by a developer who could genuinely use the financial support being on a big storefront would provide. Bowing down to the CCP bot mop is frankly reprehensible.

At the very least, I am taking yet another long break from giving you money. I am hopeful that will last long enough to be part of some change, I wish more DRM free storefronts existed that had the type of games i'm interested in so I could make it permanent.

Perhaps I should also be seeking a refund for 2077, since you had the nerve to release it in the state that it is. A good game under the mess for sure, but only a morally bankrupt company would dare release it in the absolute state that it is in right now.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by lmc2002
high rated
Mods in here be like "We only allow chinese "gamers" to bombard us with feedback on our decisions to release this game or not and those are the only "people" we have any interest in listening to, If everyone else could shut up about it and only talk about the game going forward, that would be great!"

Hypocrites.
high rated
john_hatcher: If everyone in this thread who is not ok with GOG‘s decission stops buying anything from GOG I think that will help them reconsider. But if you, as it‘s now winter sale, still buy games and just write some posts, GOG will surely not change their decission.
There are several games in my wishlist I was about to buy, but between this + the Cyberbug 2077 train wreck + the apparent complete brokenness of GOG support (so many people asking for Cyber2077 refunds claiming GOG staff has literally stopped talking to them), then those wishlisted games will stay there... "Vote with your wallet". You're right. It's pointless passively moaning in forums when the only way things will ever really change is to be part of that change in a more active manner (puts wallet back in pocket and closes wishlist page...)
high rated
None of this has to specifically be about China, as long as what happens in China stays in China. I don't have a problem with GOG taking into account their Chinese customers' sensitivities, and if they operate in China I agree they should follow the local laws and regulations (or shut up shop). GOG already does this in other markets (no dismembered limbs here, no hot coffee there, etc.).

However the majority of us who are not in that particular country should not have the restrictions from just a single foreign jurisdiction or cultural sphere GOG operates in imposed upon us. It is also easy to see where this is headed: next someone offended with the depiction of their religion will demand another game to be delisted, then somebody will take issue with, say, Leisure Suit Larry, and before long the French will be demanding The Witcher 3 be taken down for stereotyping them as baguette-eating bumblers in the Toussaint DLC. The endgame is that the only games safe to remain are going to be Solitaire and Tetris (if no Russians take offense with the soundtrack).

This of course would be a dead end for a platform attempting to make money from selling games, so it's best not to take this route at all. Instead, as long as it's legal and meets the quality criteria, any game should have its place on GOG. So it's perhaps Cyberpunk 2077 that deserves more to be delisted instead until the developers address the DRM issues.

On a separate note, the GOG statement that the decision was reversed due to "messages from gamers" is a piece of work as well. As if covering up for the quite obvious reasons beyond this decision wasn't shameless enough, it is extremely patronizing and condensceding to come up with such a contrived excuse and present it to us as an explanation. After all, as demonstrated on these message boards, everybody can clearly see that GOG as of late could not care less about any feedback from any "gamers." And these are the people who actually, for the most part, spend money here on GOG, as opposed to some randoms on social media.

It appears GOG has no problem with a tiny if vocal minority of people unlikely to buy anything anyway enforcing their own culture of censorship upon GOG's actual paying customers worldwide. In other words, GOG cares more about social media nobodies than actual customers. Good luck running your business this way, if this is not resolved I'm certainly done buying from you.

(Edit: apparently posted twice.)
Post edited December 17, 2020 by Turbo-Beaver
high rated
This is disgusting behavior, together with the recent Cyberpunk problems GoG and CDPR are losing my good faith quickly I like to buy my games here and often at a higher price than steam but I won't have this sort of thing, I changed my buying habits before I will do it again.
high rated
FallenHeroX1: Mods in here be like "We only allow chinese "gamers" to bombard us with feedback on our decisions to release this game or not and those are the only "people" we have any interest in listening to, If everyone else could shut up about it and only talk about the game going forward, that would be great!"

Hypocrites.
To be fair, I think the emphasis was more on the "be civil" part. Some people have been issuing death wishes. But sure, I agree, the "keep the discussion about the game" part was probably an attempt at containing the fiasco and was bound to receive more backlash.
high rated
Spineless cowards. Disgusting.