It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
If everyone in this thread who is not ok with GOG‘s decission stops buying anything from GOG I think that will help them reconsider. But if you, as it‘s now winter sale, still buy games and just write some posts, GOG will surely not change their decission.
You know. Surely GOG knows what their demographics are like and where the customer base is. I sincerely doubt customer from China makes up even a tiny portion of the customers. This is a weakass move and really no pro customer friendly. Lets all hit the high seas and look for this game. Got me curious now
EasyGamer: Here's how GoG should have dealt with this matter:

1) Add Detention to the store (Red Candle Games' first work - the developer of Devotion). This would introduce the dev to GoG costumers without alienating anyone - Detention is still on Steam and Netflix even has a show based on it;

2) Allow a few weeks to pass;

3) Then, without any warning or fanfare, add Devotion to the store, as GoG usually does with the new games it adds every week;

4) Keep Devotion on the store regardless of presumable external influence.

Just my two cents...
sunshinecorp: The problem was that Tencents are more than two cents. :D
Why does Tencents have any influence over the release of this game?
Post edited December 17, 2020 by Niggles
john_hatcher: If everyone in this thread who is not ok with GOG‘s decission stops buying anything from GOG I think that will help them reconsider. But if you, as it‘s now winter sale, still buy games and just write some posts, GOG will surely not change their decission.
Join Green Man Gaming. They have AMAZING sales.

Also, yes. Take the stand. I mentioned GMG as an alternative for those looking.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by WeirdoGeek
Niggles: You know. Surely GOG knows what their demographics are like and where the customer base is. I sincerely doubt customer from China makes up even a tiny portion of the customers. This is a weakass move and really no pro customer friendly. Lets all hit the high seas and look for this game. Got me curious now
sunshinecorp: The problem was that Tencents are more than two cents. :D
Niggles: Why does Tencents have any influence over the release of this game?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent#Video_games
high rated
SmollestLight: We welcome civil discussions as long as they are that, civil. Refrain from using vulgar language and keep the discussion about the game.
Knock, knock. Anybody there?

This thread isn't about the game, it's about a company who listens to the most dangerous and dystopian dictatorships and doesn't listen to its customers. And this company even can't acknowledge its allegiance with the dictatorship, instead talking about imaginary messages from imaginary gamers in its public statement.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by deesklo
So how many games would it affect on GOG?. Lets start some anti Tencent protests then
Niggles: You know. Surely GOG knows what their demographics are like and where the customer base is. I sincerely doubt customer from China makes up even a tiny portion of the customers.
You might be surprised by the numbers. I think this is the real reason for what we're seeing.
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1337442173424459782
Niggles: So how many games would it affect on GOG?. Lets start some anti Tencent protests then
I have developed a conspiracy theory that Tencent is already thinking about buying out CDP. Subscribe to learn more.

:P
high rated
SmollestLight: We welcome civil discussions as long as they are that, civil. Refrain from using vulgar language and keep the discussion about the game.
You quite literally can't discuss this game without the drama attached to it. That's the entire damn reason it was a big deal that GOG was supporting it's rerelease and now they aren't and that is what this discussion will be about. Your post be damned. Keep cleaning those chinese boots,
low rated
CityDPRED: Communism has how many deaths linked to it, so many great leaps that fail to even get off of the floor, it is ok though, I'm sure they can use the "people's" corpses to get to the high places.
But, no you're right, damn those capitalist dogs.
Capitalism walk across millions of corpsed too, without ever blinking an eye. 2000 children starving every day, that could easily be saved, but it's not profitable, so it's not a problem? Destroy the planet out of greed (which has cost millions and will cost billions of lives, in a few decades), not a problem?

Also, China doesn't have anything resembling "communism" as a form of rule or economy, it's a form of state capitalism and a bureaucratic dictatorship.

Real communism is absolutely democratic, because there is no central power (which is determined by ownership of stuff, which equals power). And that's why it doesn't work on larger scales, only in small, well... communities (where the term comes from).

I absolutely think that Devotion should be released here. This place is (or used to be) about DRM-free, so ultimately about freedom (from the schemes of Western capitalist greed no less). And I don't get why the Chinese are so upset about comparing their "leader" to Winnie (jokes about mothers are not ok though, IMO), the original pre-Disney Winnie was pretty wise...

But bashing China and the Chinese people won't help with that in any way.
lace_gardenia: china is capitalism with communist aesthetics

they have billionaires
I believe that's what's called being "more equal" than others.

And what has happened here is a State actor meddling in the free market. That is the opposite of Capitalism.
deesklo: This thread isn't about the game, it's about a company who listens to the most dangerous and dystopian dictatorships and doesn't listen to its customers. And this company even can't acknowledge its allegiance with the dictatorship, instead talking about imaginary messages from imaginary gamers in its public statement.
I don't think allegiance, I think fear, for whatever reasons...
It's a big market for sure... so it's probably just about $$$
high rated
I've requested a refund for every GOG game I've bought within the refund period (a decent bit due to the last sale) and will not be using my account until they overturn this decision. If they overturn it, I'll promptly buy Devotion and continue using GOG as previously planned before they pulled this scumbag move.
high rated
john_hatcher: If everyone in this thread who is not ok with GOG‘s decission stops buying anything from GOG I think that will help them reconsider. But if you, as it‘s now winter sale, still buy games and just write some posts, GOG will surely not change their decission.
I have almost 1200 games from GOG and will not be buying more.
high rated
aez101: Perhaps you'd be happier living in China then?
lace_gardenia: china is capitalism with communist aesthetics

they have billionaires
The government of China is communism with weaponized capitalism that merely profits its top government officials who also run the major corporations out of China. Their goal has always been to subvert Western powers and capitalism is the way to the heart of the West. It's certainly been effective. Barely anyone bats an eye anymore over the giant human rights violations communism commits on a regular basis, with concentration camps, organ harvesting on unwilling "volunteers", disappearance of critics and activists, the untold deaths of thousands to millions throughout history.

However, capitalism is all about the independent person being able to start a business and make it in life, whether they remain comfortable living off of a small amount of business, or push to become a major player by fulfilling important niches that bring consumers in. Anyone who ever trades in anything is working through capitalism.

Using the GOG service to buy games is partaking of capitalism, as they fulfill a niche service, providing DRM-free games people enjoy, old and new, with good customer support.

The point, however, is GOG is NOT providing good customer support by supporting a tyrannical communist government's attempts to hide media that, in its own mind or otherwise, undermines its appearance as the most powerful and rightful government in the universe.

And that is the focus of everyone's displeasure here. Capitalism works if GOG users use their consumer powers to influence GOG's behavior over this issue. The problem is if they continue to believe that it's "gamers", that is CCP-sponsored internet agitators, that are supporting this attempt at censorship.

I love GOG's services, but this is wrong. If the game does well or not, that's up to the power of capitalism to decide through each potential consumer, not because of a dictatorship that hates criticism in the least.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by GalacticKnight