It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

karnak1: Seven Dragon Saga, the kickstarter from the old SSI, now TSI guys is GO!

And Dungeons of Aledorn - Old School Hardcore RPG
Sadly, Dungeons of Aledorn developers are unsure if there will be a DRM-free version. From their FAQ:

"We get many questions about DRM and whether our game is going to be DRM free. Frankly, we have to admit we are not sure at this moment. We are planning to use Steam on open platforms, so the game will be using Steam default copy protection mechanics. Other options including GOG.com are being considered but can't be confirmed as of yet."

Ugh, I don't know what there is to consider. DRM doesn't prevent piracy. And I know I've heard claims from developers that Steam makes updating / patching so much easier for developers than other distribution methods, but if they polish the game and eliminate most bugs before release (as they should), then that shouldn't be too much of an issue... I'd be fine with Early Access on Steam, because I don't usually play Betas anyway, but if there's no DRM-free option I'll have to cancel my pledge. I'm fine with playing games on Steam if I get them as gifts, but not interested in supporting a Steam exclusive with my money.

I backed Seven Dragon Saga. Unfortunately they seem to be off to a pretty weak start. I think part of this may be due to having a relatively high point of entry ($25 for a digital copy, with no early bird tier). Most of the Kickstarter RPGs that raised half a million or more had digital tiers of $15 or $20... Only one I can think of with $25 tier was Divinity Original Sin, but Larian is probably actually more well known than these guys; SSI made some classic games, but I doubt many gamers under 30 are even aware of them.
Post edited March 12, 2015 by daveyd
daveyd: "We get many questions about DRM and whether our game is going to be DRM free. Frankly, we have to admit we are not sure at this moment. We are planning to use Steam on open platforms, so the game will be using Steam default copy protection mechanics. Other options including GOG.com are being considered but can't be confirmed as of yet."
I'm skeptical of devs who hedge about DRM-free like this. Basically all they are doing is keeping the door open that there is a very slim chance of a DRM-free release, but mostly just so that they don't lose funding chances. If they're not committed to it now, they are unlikely to be as release grows near. Especially if they are relying on the functionality of a DRM platform to do some of their work for them.
daveyd: "We get many questions about DRM and whether our game is going to be DRM free. Frankly, we have to admit we are not sure at this moment. We are planning to use Steam on open platforms, so the game will be using Steam default copy protection mechanics. Other options including GOG.com are being considered but can't be confirmed as of yet."
IAmSinistar: I'm skeptical of devs who hedge about DRM-free like this. Basically all they are doing is keeping the door open that there is a very slim chance of a DRM-free release, but mostly just so that they don't lose funding chances. If they're not committed to it now, they are unlikely to be as release grows near.
On this day and age it's completely stupid for an indie developper to forlorn a DRM-free release.
Specially because I suspect most indie games players are against DRM.
Incidentally, Orion Trail made funding, with some incredible raising in the last two days. I think it raised about a third of the total goal in that time. Now it's on to stretch goals in its last half-day.

I backed at the Villain level, so look for me as a bad guy when the game comes out. :3
daveyd: I backed Seven Dragon Saga. Unfortunately they seem to be off to a pretty weak start. I think part of this may be due to having a relatively high point of entry ($25 for a digital copy, with no early bird tier). Most of the Kickstarter RPGs that raised half a million or more had digital tiers of $15 or $20... Only one I can think of with $25 tier was Divinity Original Sin, but Larian is probably actually more well known than these guys; SSI made some classic games, but I doubt many gamers under 30 are even aware of them.
Yeah, the D&D rights entanglements are such that the Gold Box games are really only known and revered by people who were there at the time, which is really sad. I'm really pulling for this project but I'm skeptical about whether they'll make it, especially since the pitch seems a little rough.
daveyd: Ugh, I don't know what there is to consider. DRM doesn't prevent piracy. And I know I've heard claims from developers that Steam makes updating / patching so much easier for developers than other distribution methods, but if they polish the game and eliminate most bugs before release (as they should), then that shouldn't be too much of an issue...
And if wishes were fishes...

Modern software needs post-release support. There's no way around it with the level of complexity it has unless you want to do multiple years of nothing but pre-release bug squashing. And even then you'll miss a lot because releasing a game out gives you several orders of magnitude more test hours (through the public playing it) than you can generate internally and they will find things you miss.
daveyd: Ugh, I don't know what there is to consider. DRM doesn't prevent piracy. And I know I've heard claims from developers that Steam makes updating / patching so much easier for developers than other distribution methods, but if they polish the game and eliminate most bugs before release (as they should), then that shouldn't be too much of an issue...
MrPopo: And if wishes were fishes...

Modern software needs post-release support. There's no way around it with the level of complexity it has unless you want to do multiple years of nothing but pre-release bug squashing. And even then you'll miss a lot because releasing a game out gives you several orders of magnitude more test hours (through the public playing it) than you can generate internally and they will find things you miss.
That's one of the reasons GOG is creating Galaxy for.
IAmSinistar: Mentions a DRM-free version. Looks like a gorier version of a Sega Genesis game, which is a good thing.
Take a look at the Physical Tier 1:

"Copy of Slain on ANY PLATFORM (Xbox One, PS4/Vita, WiiU, PC - Steam or GOG code or Android console)"
IAmSinistar: Slain!

Mentions a DRM-free version. Looks like a gorier version of a Sega Genesis game, which is a good thing.
To expand on what Grargar said above me, Slain! has made its initial funding and is currently working on stretch goals. Some new donation tiers were added to the game once the initial goal was passed as well. Among the new rewards are mentions of the game coming to GOG. I am currently awaiting a reply from the devs to get clarification on that, but as this game is being published by the same company that brought Paranautical Activity to GOG, chances are good that this game will indeed be gracing our shelves, too.
Post edited March 12, 2015 by Tekkaman-James
IAmSinistar: I'm skeptical of devs who hedge about DRM-free like this. Basically all they are doing is keeping the door open that there is a very slim chance of a DRM-free release, but mostly just so that they don't lose funding chances. If they're not committed to it now, they are unlikely to be as release grows near. Especially if they are relying on the functionality of a DRM platform to do some of their work for them.
It's confirmed!

Dungeons of Aledorn will be DRM-Free and they want to release it on GOG.
Post edited March 13, 2015 by karnak1
Grargar: Take a look at the Physical Tier 1:

"Copy of Slain on ANY PLATFORM (Xbox One, PS4/Vita, WiiU, PC - Steam or GOG code or Android console)"
Coming to GOG would indeed be a bonus! I've pledged at the DRM-free key level, so if I could get a GOG code, that would be sweet.
IAmSinistar: Looks good, but no mention of DRM-free. If they can't be arsed to say, I can't be arsed to ask anymore. The answers any almost invariably equivocating anyway.
The game will be DRM-free too.
karnak1: The game will be DRM-free too.
That's good to hear. Perhaps it will come to GOG then and round out the Descent collection. Though really we'd need Descent to Undermountain to do that properly, in my opinion.
IAmSinistar: I'm skeptical of devs who hedge about DRM-free like this. Basically all they are doing is keeping the door open that there is a very slim chance of a DRM-free release, but mostly just so that they don't lose funding chances. If they're not committed to it now, they are unlikely to be as release grows near. Especially if they are relying on the functionality of a DRM platform to do some of their work for them.
karnak1: It's confirmed!

Dungeons of Aledorn will be DRM-Free and they want to release it on GOG.
Glad they have realized that waffling on the issue was a poor idea. Game seems very promising. Btw, there is a GOG wishlist entry for DoA: everyone please be sure to vote for it.
Post edited March 13, 2015 by daveyd
karnak1: The game will be DRM-free too.
IAmSinistar: That's good to hear. Perhaps it will come to GOG then and round out the Descent collection. Though really we'd need Descent to Undermountain to do that properly, in my opinion.
Considering that we have Daikatana here, there's not much to loose. :P