It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Show off your (old) gear, win shiny new (ROCCAT) gear!

As you know, the GOG.com catalog spans many titles dating back as far as 1980 (, we're looking at you!), in times when computers kind of looked like modern-day [url=http://prepare.icttrends.com/images/2012/06/IBM_PC.jpg]microwaves sat on top of a console, and the first portable computer, the Osborne I, was put on the market in all the glory of its 24 pounds of weight and a steep $1,795 price tag.

We don't expect you to have gear that's quite as old, but we are curious as to what treasures you might be keeping in a box stored away in the basement or deep in an attic drawer. So show us your oldest gear and be greatly rewarded with the some of the newest on the market, courtesy of gaming gear creator and producer ROCCAT!

THE RULES:

- Your entry should consist of 1 or 2 pictures of your old gear and a description of up to 100 words telling us what it is, where you got it, what you used it for or any other fond memories you have with it. Maybe it was your first joystick? Maybe an old Atari controller you kept as a memento? We want to hear about it!
- You can only post one entry per person. If you post more, only the first one will be counted.
- You may not edit your post.
- Use your own photos of your own gear - we do know how to do a reverse image search!

Post your entry in the comments below before the deadline - you have a week, until March 6th, at 1:59 PM GMT. We aim to judge your entries and pick winners by Thursday, March 12th - we'll announce them in the contest forum thread and via PM to the winners themselves.

THE PRIZES:

1st place prize: a ROCCAT Isku, gaming keyboard with blue-tinted illumination, secondary programmable Shift function, and Thumbster Macro Keys below the spacebar to maximise gaming effectiveness

2nd place prize: a ROCCAT Savu, mid-size hybrid gaming mouse with an adjustable, 400-4000 DPI optical sensor, secondary programmable function, customizable illumination, and a powerful driver suite

3rd place prize: a ROCCAT Sense, mousepad with friction-reducing microcrystalline coating for greater mouse speed and precision

All winners will also get GOG.com gift codes to use on games of their choice to test out their new gear!

Honorable mentions: We expect there to be many great-quality entries, so we're reserving the right to give out honorable mentions to all those we find did a brilliant job, but didn't quite make the podium cut. They'll get GOG.com gift codes to use on titles available in our catalog.

Should you be one of our top three winners, we will need some mailing data (name, address, phone number) to ship your prize to you. If the ROCCAT Marketing Team ends up sending the prizes directly to you, we will need to share your mailing information with them. We will not share it with anyone that doesn't need it!

Please note that this contest is also being held on the French and German GOG.com forum - winners will be chosen, regardless of language, from across all three contest topics. :)
vicklemos: Hi!
Is it over?

Thanks! :)
Entries are over! So now I can post my actual old gear:

The nicest bit I have is a Northgate Omnikey keyboard, purchased slightly used back in, umm, 1990? Basically another version of the IBM unit that everyone loves but not quite as noisy. I should scare up a couple adapters to try it out with the laptop.

The rest come from machinery salvage, all in working order:

- A couple SCSI hard drives.
- Industrial PC, circa 1992 or so. I have two of these in my stock. The older machines need an ISA slot and serial port and it's getting tougher to spec those these days. And this makes for a drop-in solution so I keep them around. Note that the floppy drive sits behind a lockable door...
- The membrane keyboard that goes with the industrial PC. It's plain ol' AT style so it'll work with just about any PC that accepts AT or PS/2 keyboards. These hold up surprisingly well. Got a couple on the shelf.

I also have some mid-80s industrial controller hardware but they're single-purpose units that won't play games.
Attachments:
omnikey.jpg (444 Kb)
scuzzy.jpg (384 Kb)
membrane.jpg (450 Kb)
Dang, when it comes to esoteric hardware I just realized I have an Intel Itanium 2 in the basement collecting dust. That's not ancient but sure is something one wouldn't see every day, and probably something most people have never even heard of. I should have put that on the side of my photo entry also just for some "computer weirdo" rep points. hehe :)
vicklemos: Hi!
Is it over?

Thanks! :)
HereForTheBeer: Entries are over!
Thanks!
Curious to see who got the pot of gold! :)
HereForTheBeer: Entries are over!
vicklemos: Thanks!
Curious to see who got the pot of gold! :)
Yeah I am too! 6pm here in California.
I thought the results were gonna be posted by the 12th? Can we have a link or something?
Valka808: I thought the results were gonna be posted by the 12th? Can we have a link or something?
Technically they didn't say 2015... It could be March 12th, 2019... ;)
They also said they aim to judge the stuff by march 12th. There are a lot of entries so it`s going to take longer to decide who has won. It can`t be easy with all the excellent entries not only here but on the French and German sites.

To be honest I don`t think they have enough rewards ready.
They did said that will give honorable mentions, so they got things covered with gifts certificates. good luck to everyone!!
Hi, guys!

Sorry for the additional wait - there WERE a lot of entries to look through and picking even just the finalists was much more difficult than we thought. So first off, thanks to everyone that participated. After much reading, looking for details, and debating, we’ve finally managed to choose our winners!

Our first-place winner is ChristopherS and their epic set of old gear and gadgets, including the Digital Starion 910, ateway Destination, vintage games (including one dating back to 1960 Japan), and more. We're thoroughly impressed!

Second place goes to TalwynPup74 and their fully functional Commodore 64 that can still bring many an hour of gaming joy. Congrats for caring for that piece of gear so well.

Finally, in third place we have tounedeus and their Phillips VG 5000 - not everyone can brag about taking their very first steps into programming on one, and not everyone's still can function to this day!

However, we wouldn't be ourselves if we didn't include a number of honorable mentions. In this thread, we're rewarding:

- Veritas.378 and their Pong game,
- maestroruffy and their ZX Spectrum,
- DrakeFox and their Commodore 128,
- sikakraa and their 486 Compaq Contura laptop,
- rbale and their Zenith SuperPort 286,
- Solei, because that game IS rare,
- HereForTheBeer for originality,
- bezel666, microcomputer trainers included,
- mazegalious with their still functioning Osborne Executive.

We're also awarding honorable mentions in the French and German forums. If you'd like to see the international entries, check out:

- farvardin's old photo of their brand-new gear from 1987,
- mranubis and their rescue story of a 55kg-heavy old storage server, certified invulnerable to "the Year 2000 issue",
- 123Cobra and their Chaos Engine title, on their old Amiga 500 and on their GOG.com shelf,
- SvenEvil for their epic controller collection (and some Witcher in there as well!),
- FXHell and their collection of old hardware and gear,
- Logiker for their old computer and an awesome gaming shelf

A huge thank-you to all of you for participating - keep an eye out for future contests (and our PMs with codes and - in case of the three winners - shipping address requests) that will go out sometime over the next few hours!
Post edited March 13, 2015 by Ciris
Nevermind :D
Post edited March 13, 2015 by born3088
Congratulations to the winners.

Somehow I thought the honourable mentions would be a LOT more.
Congrats to the winners, some great stuff there!
Thanks for the consideration of our tongue-in-cheek entry! The wife was looking at me like I'm a colossal dork as I was explaining what I wanted to do, but she went along with it anyway. What a trooper!
Gutted I missed this, I have stuff that would make you lot drool! :(
Congratulations to the winners !!