It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The time draws near to explore the classic adventure game in a new way! Cyan, the indie studio that created Myst is now reimagining this classic game. Built from the ground up to play in VR and flatscreen PC, with new art, sound, interactions, and even optional puzzle randomization.

To prepare you for this journey, we've decided to give you a set of discounts on the Myst series lasting on GOG.COM until 23rd September 2020, 6 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
Myst is a product of its time and the franchisee as a whole is one of the primary sources of revenue for Cyan. With each release, it servers as a chance to revisit an old friend, the puzzles all but memorized and the story and conclusion, known. A newer generation of gamers may play and not understand the point. The world is beautiful and immersive, but you can't build or craft things. There are no enemy soldiers or zombies hiding the buildings. And most importantly, no hand holding or way points for direction. A product of its time and for a specific type of gamer? Absolutely.
I don't see the point. Okay, it's in VR. The same old puzzles in VR, that'll be a great two and a half hours, I guess? If it was a seriously major, immersive graphics improvement as well then MAYBE I could understand, but the graphics (at least the book we see) looks very dated CGI and fake. It looks like a half-hearted cash grab for a game that's already been revisited more times than it ever deserved- and I'm saying that as someone for whom Myst has a special place in my heart. Yeah, it was a good game and all, but this is less nostalgia and more "all creativity and innovation in the universe is officially dead, so this is all we've got for ya."
GOG.com: ...
Will it replace M:ME and rM:ME? I hope these ones will not be delisted from store.
Or at least will they stay as bonus contents?
Post edited September 17, 2020 by erbello
high rated
I'm still waiting for Cyan to fix Obduction:-

- First the game came with the dumbest possible default key bindings (instead of mirroring WASD onto cursor keys, they rather bizarrely turned L/R into turn rather than strafe (like a primitive 1992 FPS), so left-handers using the cursor keys had two ways of turning (one in each hand) but no way of strafing).

- Then they refused to add in-game key-rebindings. Being an Unreal Engine game though, it was still possible to manually edit input.ini to change it...

- ...But after an update they then somehow broke the game so much that attempting to edit the input.ini file resulted in you being frozen in place and completely unable to move (this update was directly related to adding VR support)...

- Finally when it was reported key bindings can no longer be changed due to buggy VR code, the "solution" marked by the developer was "Go play something else then"...

So I won't be buying yet another version. But even for those that might, let's just hope they don't similarly add such badly coded VR support that they end breaking the ability to move around in Myst in the same way...
Post edited September 17, 2020 by AB2012
It's me or there are more Myst versions/revisions than sequels?
Gudadantza: It's me or there are more Myst versions/revisions than sequels?
There are as many if you count URU.

5 versions of Myst, 5 sequels.
tomimt: Myst is a really solid example of a game that has been milked bone dry. I think I'll wait for inevitable Holodeck Myst Masterpiece Edition.
And after that, either a neural implant or a Myst airspray to spruce up your home.
Dalswyn: a Myst airspray to spruce up your home.
We shall call it the Myst mist. ;)
Panaias: I guess now it will take more time to explain to today's kids what the different versions of Myst are than what Myst is all about.

(Imaginary scenario)

[Kid in the 2020s] So I played this cool new game called Myst on the PS5...
[Me] Here we go again...
The best thing to do is add to the confusion and mutter how Myst was quite a CD seller in its day.
Dalswyn: a Myst airspray to spruce up your home.
Mr.Mumbles: We shall call it the Myst mist. ;)
Ladies and gentlemen, meet Cyan's next head of marketing.;)
This whole thing makes me confused . Now which Myst version is the best from the series ?
Post edited September 17, 2020 by i_hope_you_rot
Again?
AB2012: I'm still waiting for Cyan to fix Obduction:-

- First the game came with the dumbest possible default key bindings (instead of mirroring WASD onto cursor keys, they rather bizarrely turned L/R into turn rather than strafe (like a primitive 1992 FPS), so left-handers using the cursor keys had two ways of turning (one in each hand) but no way of strafing).

- Then they refused to add in-game key-rebindings. Being an Unreal Engine game though, it was still possible to manually edit input.ini to change it...

- ...But after an update they then somehow broke the game so much that attempting to edit the input.ini file resulted in you being frozen in place and completely unable to move (this update was directly related to adding VR support)...
That's pretty funny. It shows us how PC gaming is becoming debased.
Yeah a bit too many versions, hard for a novice to decide which one to choose from.
Regarding the game itself, I tried it years ago, just to find out what all the fuss was about. Having played Lighthouse (Dark being) I kinda knew what I was in for. Well I didn't get far, to be truthful I didn't solve a single puzzle. I just don't have the patience for these kind of games nowadays, but I can understand why so many people appreciate it.
This looks very promising, call it milking, but I love the myst universe and will buy it for sure.

For those asking for Riven, it's also coming. Cyan is officially working on/with the former fan project 'the starry expanse'.