It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

An ancient evil has returned to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out. The fate of Faerun lies in your hands. Alone, you may resist. But together, you can overcome.

Larian Studios have just announced that they are developing and publishing Baldur’s Gate III. Created in close collaboration with the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast, Baldur’s Gate III is based off current D&D mechanics and spells and is the official new chapter in the legendary series.

Baldur’s Gate III will push the boundaries of the RPG genre and offer a rich narrative with unparalleled player freedom, high-stakes decisions, unique companion characters and memorable combat. It is Larian Studios’ biggest production ever and will be playable together with friends or as a single-player adventure.

Prepare for the return of a malevolent presence to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out, corrupting everything that remains in the Forgotten Realms.

Alone you may resist, but together you can overcome. Gather your party.

Baldur’s Gate III Early Access coming to GOG.COM on October 6th!
dudalb: I read it will be coming out for the PS4. I just hope it's not ruined by "consolization" the way some games have been.
CMOT70: Divinity OS games are on consoles, they're still fine games. Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Torment, Wasteland 2 etc are all on consoles and I like all of them. The machine does not cause a game to be bad, it's choices made by developers.
In theory, but they are referring to some bad choices made in the past, where games were developed in high resolution with amazing textures for PC, but then when they were retrofitted for console, the resolution and textures were reduced not just on console, but on PC as well.

*That's* the kind of thing that is infamous as "bad consolization".
To all the people who are worried about the story. The Rock Paper Shotgun site has a pretty good interview with one of the devs where they talked about it. Long story short, it will not be a continuation of the Bhaalspawn story itself. It is completed. Period. The Wizards even recently released Tabletop RPG campaign (I think it was called Murder at Baldur's Gate) where the entire plot of it is kickstarted by the murder of the Bhaalspawn from Baldur's Gate games. So, canonically, protagonist from the games is dead. This game will follow and adapt an entirely new campaign that is no yet released (it's due in September) called Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus. This campaign also seems to be a pretty big deal too. That is to say, Larians will give something from themselves too (probably plenty of side quests and they also said that consequences of your choices matters and you can gain or be cut off from entire storylines because of it; they mentioned that they will show this in one of the first demos that they will show). Plus, they said that both Larian and Wizards are cooperating on this project and getting inspirations from one another.

That is said, it's not like they are erasing original story. There will be plenty of hints and this caused that which then resulted in this situation here. This type of stuff. So, it's safe to say that Baldur's Gate 3 is not gonna be about Bhaalspawn story, but about the story of the city itself, i.e. what happened to it after the Bhaalspawn had it's merry ride through it :D

The Larians also received carte blanche when it comes to the mechanics themselves. They can input any mechanics from DnD 5 E that strikes them fancy and Vincke said the people should look at the 5E rulebook if they want some inpiration as to what new systems may be. I guess the Wizards are really trusting them and, frankly, I'm ok with that since they've already shown that they can create very solid RPGs. I mean D:OS2 is one of the very best RPGs of a last decade :)
Post edited June 07, 2019 by Xerand
low rated
BeatriceElysia: I was disappointed at first, really wanted any kind of fantasy Divinity, but then I realized this also awesome since it's not sci-fi.
You do realize science fiction is superior to fantasy?
Eh, not overly thrilled, but at the same time I can't think of a current cRPG dev that'd be a better choice than Larian, and they have the low bar Beamdog set with Siege of Dragonspear going for them too.
If my RPG sites are anything to go by I'm going to catch hell for this, but I'm hoping for a Dragon Age Origins style game. We've had a lot of Infinity Engine style homage games recently, which I loved, but I could go for something like that but bigger scale. Dragon Age Origins is a flawed game but I loved it for being a nice middle-ground of old CRPGs and newer stuff, and it's the only one of its kind. I think it would work well for BG.
only critique I have is the Soon stamp :D (it probably won't be like, soon, as in, in a week..)
Yeah... Larian / Larian on the game card page does take away a lot of doubt for me too.
Original Sin 1 & 2 were among top 10 RPGs I've yet to play.
Though I'm sure there are always about a million gamers who will not like this one either, that's fine by me.
Post edited June 07, 2019 by superstande
Gonchi: Eh, not overly thrilled, but at the same time I can't think of a current cRPG dev that'd be a better choice than Larian, and they have the low bar Beamdog set with Siege of Dragonspear going for them too.
Not gonna lie, my first thought was "oh lawd, Beamdog is about to drag poor Baldur through the mud again" but then saw Larian and am feeling some hype. Say what you will about the fantasy-ness of their flagship Divinity series, but Larian is one of maybe four active companies that I implicitly trust to handle a story-driven RPG.
Xerand: The Wizards even recently released Tabletop RPG campaign (I think it was called Murder at Baldur's Gate) where the entire plot of it is kickstarted by the murder of the Bhaalspawn from Baldur's Gate games. So, canonically, protagonist from the games is dead.
That's really lame, I hate Wizards of the coast now.
I'm not sure how to feel about this. This trailer isn't really anything to go by, since it has nothing to do with the actual game really. Like, why bother getting Larian to do it if it's just going to look like your standard AAA RPG game?

Larian is sometimes a little all over the place, but they have their own way of doing things that works out overall most of the time. I just don't know if they're going to straightjacket themselves into making something dead on the inside because of how pre-defined the expectations are. Like, are they just going to shoot them down until some committee decides for them, lather-rinse-repeat, until they don't even know what fun is anymore?

I hope I'm wrong and it's not like I'm there in the room or actually know anything. I just wouldn't have guessed in 1000 years that this trailer had anything to do with Larian whatsoever, and it makes me feel weird. My gut tells me that too many cooks might be a problem here, but I wouldn't mind being wrong. No question, Larian loves Baldur's Gate, but is the feeling mutual coming from Wizards of the Coast? We'll see...
Xerand: To all the people who are worried about the story. The Rock Paper Shotgun site has a pretty good interview with one of the devs where they talked about it. Long story short, it will not be a continuation of the Bhaalspawn story itself. It is completed. Period. The Wizards even recently released Tabletop RPG campaign (I think it was called Murder at Baldur's Gate) where the entire plot of it is kickstarted by the murder of the Bhaalspawn from Baldur's Gate games. So, canonically, protagonist from the games is dead. This game will follow and adapt an entirely new campaign that is no yet released (it's due in September) called Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus. This campaign also seems to be a pretty big deal too. That is to say, Larians will give something from themselves too (probably plenty of side quests and they also said that consequences of your choices matters and you can gain or be cut off from entire storylines because of it; they mentioned that they will show this in one of the first demos that they will show). Plus, they said that both Larian and Wizards are cooperating on this project and getting inspirations from one another.

That is said, it's not like they are erasing original story. There will be plenty of hints and this caused that which then resulted in this situation here. This type of stuff. So, it's safe to say that Baldur's Gate 3 is not gonna be about Bhaalspawn story, but about the story of the city itself, i.e. what happened to it after the Bhaalspawn had it's merry ride through it :D

The Larians also received carte blanche when it comes to the mechanics themselves. They can input any mechanics from DnD 5 E that strikes them fancy and Vincke said the people should look at the 5E rulebook if they want some inpiration as to what new systems may be. I guess the Wizards are really trusting them and, frankly, I'm ok with that since they've already shown that they can create very solid RPGs. I mean D:OS2 is one of the very best RPGs of a last decade :)
Hi, thanks for that. I feel a little better. This is the first I've heard about any of it at all. Got any links?
Post edited June 07, 2019 by mothwentbad
mothwentbad: Hi, thanks for that. I feel a little better. This is the first I've heard about any of it at all. Got any links?
I'm too lazy to look this up on RPS, but here's a Gamespot interview in which the head honcho says most of the same things: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-aims-to-do-what-no-other-rpg-has/1100-6467440/?comment_page=1
mothwentbad: Hi, thanks for that. I feel a little better. This is the first I've heard about any of it at all. Got any links?
NovusBogus: I'm too lazy to look this up on RPS, but here's a Gamespot interview in which the head honcho says most of the same things: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-aims-to-do-what-no-other-rpg-has/1100-6467440/?comment_page=1
That basically covers it, thanks. Hope it works out.
SamyMerchi: So no Black Hound? I remember drooling on the old Black Isle forums for any tidbits regarding Jefferson (or was it Van Buren that Black Hound was codenamed as). All of that ideation has been dropped?
I am pretty sure Van Buren was a Fallout that has been cancelled.

Link: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Van_Buren
Well, at least Beamdog don't seem to be involved, so that's already a selling point?
Great news indeed. But I really should finish addons for BG1 and BG2 first
OldOldGamer: And D&D has AC, that I can't stand.
If you mean armor class and have an issue with "Lower AC = Better", then you might be happy to hear than in D&D 5e, that's no longer the case. Now higher AC is better, so it's pretty much just a stat where each point gives you 5% extra dodge.