It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Leevi: As reward for GOG standing up to dictatorships (proving that they can do it if the dictator in question hits close enough home). I have broken my over year long boycott of GOG.

Went and bought Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight

Lots of tankies and russkies seem to be taking over this thread. Maybe I should ask my name to be removed from the list, so that I don't get grouped with that lot...
Yes, that’s what I did, asked for name to be removed and went and brought elex 2 and this war of mine. Unfortunately I think time4tea may have left due to the spamming of propaganda bots, as fast as you swat one, 10 more appear. At this point it may just be simpler to lock the thread and create another with the original purpose if things ever get back to normal.
Time4Tea: …snip
Ha, that’s timing! 1min before mine!
Post edited March 05, 2022 by nightcraw1er.488
low rated
Time4Tea: I don't think that GOG ceasing to do business in Russia falls under 'censorship'. Censorship usually involves some sort of selective blocking of media, because certain forms of media are deemed to be offensive or inconvenient. GOG has made a business decision to cease all business in Russia, in response to an active military conflict that is currently happening in Europe. It's not about the nature of the media - it's a broader business decision (CDPR is also not selling its own games). I am happy to hear differing views on it though.
If it were just a case of Polish company taking these measures because of past relations with Russia or because their government made official restrictions then it would be a different story but it's not just this company.

Their current decision on russian sales looks like it comes from the same line of thinking from their other actions like stopping people talking about the virus,promoting blm and others so it is within the scope of the boycott..

That makes the intent to change the boycott thread appear illegitimate.

10:40
Post edited March 05, 2022 by §pec†re
low rated
I think this thread should stay focus on the original issues.
It was really useful when gog tried to force Hitman with drm here, it's born because gog did not allowed the release of Devotion following the direction of a dictatorship like China, and it was born because of drm games and dlc like Gwent and Cyberpunk dlc and focus on Galaxy client.
Even though I only boycotted gog when they released hitman I'm still convinced that all the various original issues were right.

But I don't think the Ukrainan invasion and the decision to temporary alt new sales to russians got anything to do with this topic.
The decision made by gog is the same made by almost everybody else around the world because there is no other way to try to stop the invasion peacefully (by isolating russia).
Of course we all know that putin decision got nothing to do with most of the people out there that live in russia, but the only way to put an end to this is to stop funds for the war and that's why all companies and governments are making the same decision.
This is not a problem with gog, this is not gog following the decision of a dictatorship, this as nothing to do with drm.
Gog decision is soft compared to most companies (russians can still access gog.com and download their games), facebook and twitter cannot be access in russia right now for example.
You need to understand that this is a global problem, not a local one. If you really want to live free you cannot stay in russia.

Not just that I see here many russian say comments against NATO (the only reason why most europe is still safe from putin) and with no concern for Ukrainans... Even some propaganda against them. To them I can only say that this ban is made to hit you, friends of putin.
So I feel sorry for the Russians who did not want this war, but they should have already understood the gravity of the situation.
low rated
Time4Tea: ...
Something else to consider is letting people share a short, simple (keywords basically) list of reasons they're boycotting, next to their name on the list. "DRM, censorship, blocking Russians"

-----------------

I've already said this but what annoys me the most is, I think it's easy to see these same companies put their head in the sand if China was to invade Taiwan. I hope I'm proven wrong.
Post edited March 05, 2022 by tfishell
low rated
LiefLayer: Of course we all know that putin decision got nothing to do with most of the people out there that live in russia, but the only way to put an end to this is to stop funds for the war and that's why all companies and governments are making the same decision.
But they're buying games from GOG. That's money leaving Russia in exchange for a product that can't possibly be used by the war effort due to its digital nature. They are hardly funds for the war, and I daresay by preventing imports (of intangible goods or materials that cannot be used by the war machine) to Russia that would result in funds for the war as money used for those imports would go to the war effort.

We're not talking about selling steel to them that could be used to build tanks, we're talking about a product that has no material use. I'm pretty sure tanks are not made of Cyberpunkium.

What you wrote does not seem logical to me given the context.

What GOG should be doing is remove games from Russian companies and developers from the store. That would be more consistent with the sanctions, not preventing customers from buying from them.
Post edited March 05, 2022 by CthuluIsSpy
low rated
LiefLayer: But I don't think the Ukrainan invasion and the decision to temporary alt new sales to russians got anything to do with this topic.
Don't care what you think on the matter.

The title is and I quote "Boycotting GOG 2021-22"

And one of the reasons was:

"Lastly, the recent debacle with Devotion. I won't repeat everything that has been said about this in other threads, but GOG's decision to be complicit in imposing Chinese censorship on non-Chinese users is simply unacceptable. The game needs to be released on GOG immediately."

And the question was:

"Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?"

While TimeforTeas reasoning was:

"I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021. This is in response to several decisions the site has made over the past year that I believe have been deeply misguided:"

Which in no way shape or form means we had to agree with his reasons only to announce a boycott.

And because I take a position, along with a few others that make you uncomfortable, you not only want us out of the boycott, you guys actually break your own boycott (either by withdrawing or still active) to buy even though your reasons to boycott has not been placated.
Post edited March 05, 2022 by lumengloriosum
low rated
Time4Tea:
BroscienceEngineer: Gotta give credit where it's due even if I disagree with your movement. Props.

kbnrylaec: As long as Russian can't buy games here, I won't spend any penny here.
GOG think they can ban any people? Fine, I can ban GOG.
BroscienceEngineer: Thanks for the inspiration. I'll try to stand up for Chinese GOG gamers when their payments get blocked off by GOG when the Chinese PLA invades Taiwan. Gotta make sure we prioritize innocent gamers of invading countries, with a roof over their heads and food to eat, than uplift innocent non-gaming civilians suffering one of the worst humanitarian crisis this century of course. Because games should unite people and gamers should look out for one another first!

Do you also invite burglers out for dinners after they've robbed one of your neighbours' homes?
I second this. Ukrainians are getting killed in airstrikes because terrorist putin is mad that Ukraine didn't panic and surrender.
~90% of russians support their terrorist #1 president as evident in their speeches here. They deserve all the sanctions they're getting. They deserve to be ostracized from the world.
low rated
LiefLayer: Of course we all know that putin decision got nothing to do with most of the people out there that live in russia, but the only way to put an end to this is to stop funds for the war and that's why all companies and governments are making the same decision.
CthuluIsSpy: But they're buying games from GOG. That's money leaving Russia in exchange for a product that can't possibly be used by the war effort due to its digital nature. They are hardly funds for the war, and I daresay by preventing imports (of intangible goods or materials that cannot be used by the war machine) to Russia that would result in funds for the war as money used for those imports would go to the war effort.

We're not talking about selling steel to them that could be used to build tanks, we're talking about a product that has no material use. I'm pretty sure tanks are not made of Cyberpunkium.

What GOG should be doing is remove games from Russian companies and developers from the store. That would be more consistent with the sanctions, not preventing customers from buying from them.
It's about isolating their economy from every point of view. That's why I shut down my gas and I don't use my car anymore. I don't want my money to fund this war. Isolating their economy is the only way to avoid a real WW3 right now.
low rated
CthuluIsSpy: But they're buying games from GOG. That's money leaving Russia in exchange for a product that can't possibly be used by the war effort due to its digital nature. They are hardly funds for the war, and I daresay by preventing imports (of intangible goods or materials that cannot be used by the war machine) to Russia that would result in funds for the war as money used for those imports would go to the war effort.

LiefLayer: It's about isolating their economy from every point of view. That's why I shut down my gas and I don't use my car anymore. I don't want my money to fund this war. Isolating their economy is the only way to avoid a real WW3 right now.
Yes, that's fair, but I still don't see how refusing Russians to give their money to a foreign company is going to stop the war from being funded. You know that money that stays in Russia can be used for the war, right?

Furthermore, since Russians are not allowed to give donations to Ukraine (it was made illegal), wouldn't permitting them to buy foreign products and redirecting the proceeds to there be the best way for opponents to the war and Putin to help? If Putin puts a ban on imports it would be on the regime, not on the West.
Post edited March 05, 2022 by CthuluIsSpy
low rated
LiefLayer: But I don't think the Ukrainan invasion and the decision to temporary alt new sales to russians got anything to do with this topic.
lumengloriosum: Don't care what you think on the matter.

The title is and I quote "Boycotting GOG 2021-22"

And one of the reasons was:

"Lastly, the recent debacle with Devotion. I won't repeat everything that has been said about this in other threads, but GOG's decision to be complicit in imposing Chinese censorship on non-Chinese users is simply unacceptable. The game needs to be released on GOG immediately."

And the question was:

"Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?"
As I said in my post above, the title of the thread will be changing in the near future to be more clear. This thread is about boycotting GOG over issues specifically relating to DRM and censorship. I apologize for any confusion.
low rated
OK, if you change the name of this Thread you can REMOVE ME from the list on your first post!

I am not boycotting GOG only because of creeping DRM infestation and censorship, but mainly because of GOG Galaxy and was boycotting before and will boycott it in the future even after this thread is long gone; and by now it's already buried in SPAM and unnecessary and/or unrelated discussions.

Thank you and have a nice day!
low rated
SangreMuertos: People, thanks for support (it's for normal people, not freaks like itchy01ca01). And for you, freaks, remember your idiom
"People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones"
Just read wiki pages about NATO bombing of Yugoslavia, List of NATO operations and just remember what countries at NATO (Member states of NATO)

Maybe World should boycott all european and american? Or you just two-faced hypocrites?
Try to hear me. We have an idiom "If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off."
All european countries, Canada, USA have exported different weapon to Ukraine. It was just before special operation at Ukraine. And now think, just think, for what? Why they have exported a huge amount of weapons? There are 2 scenarios.
1. Ukraine is going to attack and bomb LPR and DPR. and Russia, of course, will answer by helping them. And such european line of arguments will be the same
2. Ukraine is going to attack Russia with help of NATO. Ukraine has territorial claims to Russia. And I say not about Crimea
oleksiihoncharenko/9506 - it's telegram of ukrainian deputy. They have territorial claims of 2 subjects of Russia

And, how do you think, what USA will do, if at Cuba and Venezuela, for example, there will be Russian weapons and Russian military bases? They will just stand by? I have doubt)

you're such piss-ant
itchy01ca01: Again, you need to cry more. And bleed more.
You two fantasy cybersoldiers need to be banned or at least moderate your one-sided bully rants down to brief political parentheses *on a gaming forum*. There's a lot of forums specifically about geopolitics and realpolitik in the stricter sense. Or some MMA local championship, maybe..
low rated
GlorFindel: OK, if you change the name of this Thread you can REMOVE ME from the list on your first post!

I am not boycotting GOG only because of creeping DRM infestation and censorship, but mainly because of GOG Galaxy and was boycotting before and will boycott it in the future even after this thread is long gone; and by now it's already buried in SPAM and unnecessary and/or unrelated discussions.

Thank you and have a nice day!
Same goes for me. I seldomly post here, but read many of the posts (and in recent times, there are many posts that do not controbute to this thread, just spam). Narrowing the boycott down to specific themes like drm is not the solution and I don‘t want to stand for that. There are many problems with GOG that cannot be addressed if you just male it about drm and censorship. What about missing update for example?
low rated
Shall we ask to delete this messy behemoth of a thread and open a new/two new ones?
low rated
So GOG is supporting racists now? another reason to boycott GOG:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/5/thats-poland-now-walk-arab-students-plight-out-of-ukraine
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/how-we-rise/2022/03/03/the-russian-invasion-of-ukraine-shows-racism-has-no-boundaries/