It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Mplath1: Hi. Been ages since I was on here and I'm not into reading 100 pages of recent posts.

-Did GOG ever address the Devotion situation in any way? Obviously they aren't selling it but was there ever any clarification or further statements?

-Did we get a solid line on DRM? I know they tried to vaguely define it at one point (which I will admit is at least an effort) but have they started marking titles or features as DRM in page listings? I know there are endless discussions about what qualified as DRM but I'm asking if they're highlighting it using their own criteria?

As was mentioned many have moved on. The two listed subjects are the ones most important to me personally. I have other games I purchase physically (as well as a glut of games to get through), other hobbies, and career stuff to keep me busy so I don't truly "need" GOG. That's not intended as an insult honestly. I'll just check in every few months to see if the store is someplace I'd like to spend money again based on actions taken/not taken.

Boycotts tend to get a lot of attention in the early days but usually the issue gets resolved or it becomes a long quiet cycle as both sides attempt to wait the other out. I think we're solidly in that phase now. I'm not coming on here once a week to talk about all the stuff I'm not buying. Maybe one day some changes will happen to make me be a little more vocal again. In the meantime everyone take care, do whatever you feel is right for you, enjoy life, and I'll see you in a few months.
1. No.

2. No.

3. Yes. Me too.

4. You too man. You too.
Mplath1: -Did we get a solid line on DRM? I know they tried to vaguely define it at one point (which I will admit is at least an effort) but have they started marking titles or features as DRM in page listings? I know there are endless discussions about what qualified as DRM but I'm asking if they're highlighting it using their own criteria?
Longcat: 2. No.
That's not strictly the entire answer.

a) They did begin to mark some game pages with warnings (e.g. Absolver: "Some fighting techniques and boss fight rematches must be one-time unlocked in online mode. Once unlocked, they carry over to the single player game."). But it's partial (e.g. CP2077 has no warning) and I'm not sure they are continuing with it.

b) They did give a definition of sorts: "... video games continue to evolve with many titles offering online modes, cosmetics, and incentives for completing certain actions by players... as long as these additional features and rewards do not affect the single-player offline experience in a major way, we believe that the developers and publishers should be free to design and sell their games in a way they choose". We might not like it, but it's a definition of sorts.
Longcat: 2. No.
mrkgnao: That's not strictly the entire answer.

a) They did begin to mark some game pages with warnings (e.g. Absolver: "Some fighting techniques and boss fight rematches must be one-time unlocked in online mode. Once unlocked, they carry over to the single player game."). But it's partial (e.g. CP2077 has no warning) and I'm not sure they are continuing with it.

b) They did give a definition of sorts: "... video games continue to evolve with many titles offering online modes, cosmetics, and incentives for completing certain actions by players... as long as these additional features and rewards do not affect the single-player offline experience in a major way, we believe that the developers and publishers should be free to design and sell their games in a way they choose". We might not like it, but it's a definition of sorts.
Yes, it strictly is.

a) They did not mark titles or features as DRM in page listings, which is what he asked. And the remarks you mention (which are not "marking titles or features as DRM in page listings) were only done for a few games, as you said.

b) We did not get a solid line on DRM, which is what he asked. "A definition of sorts" that is so loose that basically anything can be considered not DRM is not a solid line on DRM, and he even mentions that he knows they tried to vaguely define it at one point.

Nothing has changed.
Post edited September 10, 2022 by Longcat
mrkgnao: That's not strictly the entire answer.

Longcat: Yes, it strictly is.

a) They did not mark titles or features as DRM in page listings, which is what he asked. And the remarks you mention (which are not "marking titles or features as DRM in page listings) were only done for a few games, as you said.

b) We did not get a solid line on DRM, which is what he asked. "A definition of sorts" that is so loose that basically anything can be considered not DRM is not a solid line on DRM, and he even mentions that he knows they tried to vaguely define it at one point.

Nothing has changed.
Agreed.
Kool. I hope I did not seem overly hostile. If so, it was not my intention. Hope you have a nice weekend.
Mplath1: Hi. Been ages since I was on here and I'm not into reading 100 pages of recent posts. [...]
The boycott has completely failed. It hasn't achieved anything. The participants list turned out to be a joke because of fake accounts. And it turned out that is was part of an advertisement campaign for the ZOOM Platform. There is no reason to continue it. It is a farce.

I suggest to read this support article here:
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/212806525-How-can-I-delete-my-account-?product=gog
Mplath1: Hi. Been ages since I was on here and I'm not into reading 100 pages of recent posts. [...]
foad01: The boycott has completely failed. It hasn't achieved anything. The participants list turned out to be a joke because of fake accounts. And it turned out that is was part of an advertisement campaign for the ZOOM Platform. There is no reason to continue it. It is a farce.

I suggest to read this support article here:
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/212806525-How-can-I-delete-my-account-?product=gog
Lol. Why would he delete his account and lose the games he has already payed for? The desperation is ridiculously entertaining.

Nothing in your post is remotely true. But keep on trucking. Thanks for keeping this important topic alive. <3

And welcome, new person.
Post edited September 10, 2022 by Longcat
Longcat: Lol. Why would he delete his account and lose the games he has already payed for?
Deleting your account is an honest advice. Leave the bad things behind and go to a place which makes you happy.

Longcat: The desperation is ridiculously entertaining.
What desperation? This boycott is probably the most hilarious thing I've seen in this forum. I mean just read the past few pages. LOL.

Longcat: Nothing in your post is remotely true. But keep on trucking. Thanks for keeping this important topic alive. <3
Denial? It has been discussed in the past few pages and in locked threads. Mplath1 asked what happened. I answered it. That's all.
Longcat: Lol. Why would he delete his account and lose the games he has already payed for?
foad01: Deleting your account is an honest advice. Leave the bad things behind and go to a place which makes you happy.

Longcat: The desperation is ridiculously entertaining.
foad01: What desperation? This boycott is probably the most hilarious thing I've seen in this forum. I mean just read the past few pages. LOL.

Longcat: Nothing in your post is remotely true. But keep on trucking. Thanks for keeping this important topic alive. <3
foad01: Denial? It has been discussed in the past few pages and in locked threads. Mplath1 asked what happened. I answered it. That's all.
Your desperation :)

Throw away commercial products that people have payed a lot of money for under false pretences? Why? It may be your honest opinion, but it is first and foremost laughable. I don't really think you mean this tho, and would just like to get rid of users whose opinions differ from yours.

It seems this thread bothers you. Why don't you leave the bad things behind and go to a place which makes you happy?

Denial of what, exactly? No one has provided any evidence what so ever for your statements, including you, and so they remain unfounded.

And no, Mplath1 did *nowhere* in his post ask "what happened". He asked very clear and specific questions about Devotion and GOGs stance on DRM and labelling of games with DRM, none of which you gave an answer to. You then jumped in to regurgitate these unfounded statements instead.

<3
Longcat: Your desperation :)
Again. What desperation?

Longcat: Throw away commercial products that people have payed a lot of money for under false pretences? Why? It may be your honest opinion, but it is first and foremost laughable.
It is not laughable. What is the point in using a service which makes you unhappy? Deleting your account is closing a chapter in your life which makes you unhappy. By deleting your account you have it easier to leave this store behind. The chapter is closed once and for all.

Longcat: I don't really think you mean this tho, and would just like to get rid of users whose opinions differ from yours.
That is your assumption. I want every internet warrior to make use of their freedom of speech.

Longcat: It seems this thread bothers you. Why don't you leave the bad things behind and go to a place which makes you happy?
The thread is hilarious. Why should it bothering me? This dramedy should go on. LOL.

Longcat: Denial of what, exactly? No one has provided any evidence what so ever for your statements, including you, and so they remain unfounded.
Several people explained it and you obviously don't want to accept the reality check they gave you. You are not alone with this. So... LOL.

Longcat: And no, Mplath1 did *nowhere* in his post ask "what happened". He asked very clear and specific questions about Devotion and GOGs stance on DRM and labelling of games with DRM, none of which you gave an answer to. You then jumped in to regurgitate these unfounded statements instead.
His post asked about specific parts of the boycott. The entire boycott failed. So I answered it.

*takes out popcorn*
Post edited September 11, 2022 by foad01
foad01: The boycott has completely failed. It hasn't achieved anything.
Not true. Thanks to this boycott I have learned that there are thousands of DRM-free client-free games on steam, which are usually immensely cheaper than GOG (if bought through bundles) and utterly more likely to be up to date.
foad01: The boycott has completely failed. It hasn't achieved anything.
mrkgnao: Not true. Thanks to this boycott I have learned that there are thousands of DRM-free client-free games on steam, which are usually immensely cheaper than GOG (if bought through bundles) and utterly more likely to be up to date.
Wasn't the premise of the boycott to make GOG better or great again? At least this something you can read in some of the posts here. Buying games on Steam shows how much this boycott failed in your case. GOG still makes you unhappy and you are now buying your games on Steam because the boycott failed. Nope. I don't buy it. A success of this boycott means that GOG addressed all points under DRM and Censorship in the first post and the boycotters are buying their games on GOG again. After 20 months it didn't happen.
foad01: A success of this boycott means that GOG addressed all points under DRM and Censorship in the first post
That's actually not true, because a few months ago, the OP of this thread retconned the purpose of the boycott, edited the OP, and changed the thread title, and in so doing, retroactively tried to change the meaning of the hundreds/thousands of posts of this thread that occurred before the point when he did that.

To be sure DRM and censorship were some of the initial issues of the boycott, and big ones, but they were never the only ones.

So GOG addressing those two particular points would not actually solve the boycott, but rather, only part of it.

Although I do agree with you that in general the boycott has indeed failed, but it has made some gains as well before it failed overall, as I described in my lengthy previous post in this thread.
Post edited September 11, 2022 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Ancient-Red-Dragon: So GOG addressing those two particular points would not actually solve the boycott, but rather, only part of it.
I noticed it that boycotters or former boycotters were disagreeing with parts of the current version of the boycott. This alone is the best indicator why the boycott failed.
mrkgnao: Not true. Thanks to this boycott I have learned that there are thousands of DRM-free client-free games on steam, which are usually immensely cheaper than GOG (if bought through bundles) and utterly more likely to be up to date.
foad01: Wasn't the premise of the boycott to make GOG better or great again? At least this something you can read in some of the posts here. Buying games on Steam shows how much this boycott failed in your case. GOG still makes you unhappy and you are now buying your games on Steam because the boycott failed. Nope. I don't buy it. A success of this boycott means that GOG addressed all points under DRM and Censorship in the first post and the boycotters are buying their games on GOG again. After 20 months it didn't happen.
From day one, different people boycotted for different reasons. At some point, the OP decided that the boycott was only about two things (around which time the title was changed and some people, including myself, decided to disassociate themselves from this thread). If you check my posts, you will see that my reasons were never about censorship or DRM-freedom. What I cared about is that offline installers be kept in line with galaxy builds (improved greatly, at least partly due to the boycott), that game pages be somehow marked for the presence of single-player content locked behind online or client walls (half-heartedly implemented, perhaps as a result of the boycott), and that games be kept up to date compared to steam (not much improvement there).

Unfortunately for GOG, thanks to the boycott, I have learned that steam is a much better source --- for me --- from which to obtain DRM-free and client-free games. Prior to the boycott I had never bought a single steam game. I didn't even know that you could play steam games without their client. Now I have more than 100 steam games and I have never installed their client. I am not buying games on steam because the boycott failed --- I am buying games on steam because it is a better store for me.

So, accordingly, I no longer boycott GOG, I simply rarely buy here, since there is little incentive for me to do so.

If you read my early posts, you will see that I never thought that the boycott will make GOG listen to its customers. See for example here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021/post47.
Post edited September 11, 2022 by mrkgnao