It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

UPDATE: We've temporarily disabled the 3-D Secure authentication protocol as the implementation of new regulations has been delayed in some countries and not all banks yet support it. This way you shouldn't experience any inconveniences during debit and credit card payments.

We'd like to inform you that since today all card payments made in the GOG.COM store will be subject to a new 3-D Secure authentication protocol.

3-D Secure authentication requires additional confirmation of the transaction via your Bank's website or mobile app to prevent fraud in online credit and debit card payments. Thanks to this additional security measure, your personal data and money will be even safer than before.

In case of issues with completing your purchases with cards, please contact our Support team.
Maxvorstadt: Thing is, Paysafecard is only a code, like the cards you use to load money on your prepaid phone. So it is simply not possible to authenticitate/verify your Paysafecard, other then typing in the code on it.
emter_pl: This new authentication protocol is for debit and credit cards issued by Banks only.

Paysafecard is neither - it's a different payment method with its own flow.
Yay, that`s nice to read. No need to bother with such rdiculous authenticitation blablabla, Paysafecard ftw!!!
Thanx
On a side note: We should have known that something weird would happen, since today is friday the 13th! :-D
Post edited September 13, 2019 by Maxvorstadt
MarkoH01: I doubt it but today is the 13th of Sepember and not the 14th of September ;).
PaterAlf: So I'll try it again tomorrow. I already have an app on my phone that will let me do one-click-conformation of credit card purchases or let me create confirmation codes while offline. Bank said I'll need it some months ago, but so far it never was the case.
My bank implemented these stupid rules even before. Only possibility for me to access my credit card bill is getting an additional mtan. It is so ridiculous.
I don't have a mobile phone, nor do I plan on ever having one.

As long as Paypal remains as a payment option, though, I will come through this unscathed. And avoiding the use of my credit card here will eliminate the temptation of buying games that I can't really afford.
Post edited September 13, 2019 by MarianFA
GOG.com: Thanks to this additional security measure, your personal data and money will be even safer than before.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: That's PR spin. Your money is safe anyway, because if fraud is committed with your card, then you as the cardholder are not liable for that fraud, and you don't have to pay any of the money for debts on your card that were added via other people committing fraudulent transactions.

It stands to reason that GOG is doing this because lots of people have been defrauding them and causing them to lose money.
It has nothing to do with *Security*
Everything to do with 4% tax on top of your purchase.
To support Elites lazy offspring wanting to live on our taxes. Driving luxury vehicles, flying on daddy's private jet on a whim; because they are serving exquisite steak at a given restaurant in a different continent.
Post edited September 13, 2019 by novumZ
Zoidberg: Doesn't change anything for paypal, right?
emter_pl: The change is being made for debit and credit cards to abide with latest EU legislation. Authentication process depends from your Bank.

It doesn't affect the way other payment methods, like PayPal or Paysafecard, works.
I suppose it also doesn't affect local payment options (even if they might include card), like the one we use in Brazil (payments through 'BoaCompra')...?
As people are worried about not using or not having smartphones, here's my experience :

"3D-Secure" has been implemented by my bank for years now and I can decide on the website of my Bank options, on which phone (number) I prefer to receive such codes : EITHER in a SMS sent to my mobile phone, EITHER spelled out by a talking robot on my fixed phone.
MarkoH01: 1) Is it really already online?
To me "since today" very much sounds like it is already online:

We'd like to inform you that since today all card payments made in the GOG.COM store will be subject to a new 3-D Secure authentication protocol.
And even when it's not, I do not consider one day in "advance" a proper period of time to announce such an essential change.

MarkoH01: 2) You should have been informed by your bank about it.
I'm not living in the EU, most of my time, so I've not been informed by my bank yet.
MarkoH01: 1) Is it really already online?
eiii: To me "since today" very much sounds like it is already online:
Ah - sorry, correct. Did not see this.

MarkoH01: 2) You should have been informed by your bank about it.
eiii: I'm not living in the EU, most of my time, so I've not been informed by my bank yet.
Also understandable. Yes, I agree - for people not even living in the EU this might come completely as a surprise - especially since they should not even be concerned.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: It stands to reason that GOG is doing this because lots of people have been defrauding them and causing them to lose money.
No, they are doing this because EU requires it nowadays. Google for PSD 2. In a way it makes sense because it always felt odd to me that anyone could buy stuff with my credit/debit card online as long as they knew the card number, CCV, expiration date and my name.

It is the same directive why banks in EU can't no more provide the security check with changing codes on a card that you enter upon transactions, because such keycode lists should not be easily copied (like you can take someone's keycode card from their wallet and take a photo of it with a phone).

E.g. my bank just changed from such plastic keycode card to a mobile app I have to use to approve transactions. They've informed that if one doesn't have a phone to use such app, the bank can provide them some electronic gadget that does the same as the app.
Post edited September 13, 2019 by timppu
novumZ: It has nothing to do with *Security*
Everything to do with 4% tax on top of your purchase.
To support Elites lazy offspring wanting to live on our taxes. Driving luxury vehicles, flying on daddy's private jet on a whim; because they are serving exquisite steak at a given restaurant in a different continent.
Could you please explain to me how an additional (if unnecessary) step of verification can be the reason for someone getting more money?
tinyE: So basically, I have to got get all of my games at Steam now?
I DON'T HAVE A MOBILE PHONE! I DON'T HAVE APPS.
I'd be very surprised if Steam wouldn't require 2-factor authentication for purchases as well. Otherwise they can't operate in EU.
timppu: E.g. my bank just changed from such plastic keycode card to a mobile app I have to use to approve transactions. They've informed that if one doesn't have a phone to use such app, the bank can provide them some electronic gadget that does the same as the app.
Don't forget to mention that those "gadgets" don't come for free.
(Edit apparently it is free in the case of some banks - so this might be disregarded)
Post edited September 13, 2019 by MarkoH01
timppu: E.g. my bank just changed from such plastic keycode card to a mobile app I have to use to approve transactions. They've informed that if one doesn't have a phone to use such app, the bank can provide them some electronic gadget that does the same as the app.
MarkoH01: Don't forget to mention that those "gadgets" don't come for free.
Actually it is free with my bank
MarkoH01: Don't forget to mention that those "gadgets" don't come for free.
Cusith: Actually it is free with my bank
Oops - then I withdraw my post. Did not know this will be handled different in different banks.
Nice link. Thanks!

Maxvorstadt: Bad Link, has an AdBlock Blocker, so not readable by people with an Ad-Blocker!
Strange, I'm reading it with activated uBock Origin. Perhaps they use scripts from some Google server, which I also block, to detect the ad-blocker. :P
Post edited September 13, 2019 by eiii