It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

UPDATE: We've temporarily disabled the 3-D Secure authentication protocol as the implementation of new regulations has been delayed in some countries and not all banks yet support it. This way you shouldn't experience any inconveniences during debit and credit card payments.

We'd like to inform you that since today all card payments made in the GOG.COM store will be subject to a new 3-D Secure authentication protocol.

3-D Secure authentication requires additional confirmation of the transaction via your Bank's website or mobile app to prevent fraud in online credit and debit card payments. Thanks to this additional security measure, your personal data and money will be even safer than before.

In case of issues with completing your purchases with cards, please contact our Support team.
low rated
Great. Could you not have provided some warning? I won't be making any purchases from gog any more. I guess I'll have to empty my cart.
timppu: E.g. my bank just changed from such plastic keycode card to a mobile app I have to use to approve transactions. They've informed that if one doesn't have a phone to use such app, the bank can provide them some electronic gadget that does the same as the app.
MarkoH01: Don't forget to mention that those "gadgets" don't come for free.
(Edit apparently it is free in the case of some banks - so this might be disregarded)
I have no idea because I don't need such a device... but I checked my bank's homepages, and to me it appears they will deliver it for free. Their price list mentioned a 10€ fee only to replace a broken or misplaced device, or delivering the device abroad.

For people who can't use even that device (like blind people), they offer a similar device that speaks to you.

However, if one is both deaf and blind, then I think they are screwed, they can't use either device. Then again, then they can't play GOG games either so there isn't any problem to begin with. All is good.

darktjm: Great. Could you not have provided some warning? I won't be making any purchases from gog any more. I guess I'll have to empty my cart.
As said, I am expecting all other digital stores following the same practice, at least if they want to operate in EU zone.
Post edited September 13, 2019 by timppu
timppu: As said, I am expecting all other digital stores following the same practice, at least if they want to operate in EU zone.
I don't buy from any other digital stores. Having to go thorough extra hoops with my piece of shit bank means no buy. Period. Thanks, EU.
I am now going to test how this works, by buying the two Call of Juarez games released today.

Wish me luck. If you don't hear from me anymore, PSD 2 probably blew on my face.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: That's PR spin. Your money is safe anyway, because if fraud is committed with your card, then you as the cardholder are not liable for that fraud, and you don't have to pay any of the money for debts on your card that were added via other people committing fraudulent transactions.

It stands to reason that GOG is doing this because lots of people have been defrauding them and causing them to lose money.
madjarov42: Your money is not safe. Online purchases use a CVV, which is plainly visible at the back of your card. Any teller can use this to make an online purchase.
"But I'm still not liable because it's not my fault!" - You are, and it is.
Maybe it's different in different countries, but this is NOT true. If some other individual defrauds the credit card company and the credit card company approved the purchase, you are NOT liable for the funds. The banks and credit card companies will often try and make it seem as if you are, but you are no more liable for these fraudulent purchases then you would be for a bank robbey if a car thief stole your car and robbed a bank using it.
Post edited September 13, 2019 by OldFatGuy
timppu: I am now going to test how this works, by buying the two Call of Juarez games released today.

Wish me luck. If you don't hear from me anymore, PSD 2 probably blew on my face.
What do you want to be written on your tombstone?
OldFatGuy: Maybe it's different in different countries, but this is NOT true. If some other individual defrauds the credit card company and the credit card company approved the purchase, you are NOT liable for the funds.
May be true, but then there is the thing that you have to detect first someone has made purchases with your card.

At least I don't go through all my (debit) card payments every week or month, far too many of them. I like the thought that there is extra security that prevents others even from trying that.
novumZ: It has nothing to do with *Security*
Everything to do with 4% tax on top of your purchase.
To support Elites lazy offspring wanting to live on our taxes. Driving luxury vehicles, flying on daddy's private jet on a whim; because they are serving exquisite steak at a given restaurant in a different continent.
MarkoH01: Could you please explain to me how an additional (if unnecessary) step of verification can be the reason for someone getting more money?
A lot of services like this are charged behind the scenes, eg I charge credit for a new jacket. The bank charges a 25 cent fee to the seller of said jacket for using the credit service. I would assume this is what novumZ is referring to. It's not noticed at all by the buyer.
timppu: I am now going to test how this works, by buying the two Call of Juarez games released today.

Maxvorstadt: What do you want to be written on your tombstone?
"So confused."

Because I really am now. I purchased the two games, and there were no extra checks, it went just like before (I just entered my debit card details and that's that).

The wording in the announcement doesn't make it clear if this new system is already in place, or only coming at some point.
Maxvorstadt: What do you want to be written on your tombstone?
timppu: "So confused."

Because I really am now. I purchased the two games, and there were no extra checks, it went just like before (I just entered my debit card details and that's that).

The wording in the announcement doesn't make it clear if this new system is already in place, or only coming at some point.
As far as I know, this authenticitation is only needed when you buy for more than 30 Euros.

Maxvorstadt: As far as I know, this authenticitation is only needed when you buy for more than 30 Euros.
I got it for first time today while buying both Call of Juarez games and that certainly wasn't 30 euros. It's strange.
fizzywiz: A lot of services like this are charged behind the scenes, eg I charge credit for a new jacket. The bank charges a 25 cent fee to the seller of said jacket for using the credit service. I would assume this is what novumZ is referring to. It's not noticed at all by the buyer.
It still has nothing to do with the new EU rule.
fizzywiz: A lot of services like this are charged behind the scenes, eg I charge credit for a new jacket. The bank charges a 25 cent fee to the seller of said jacket for using the credit service. I would assume this is what novumZ is referring to. It's not noticed at all by the buyer.
With 25 cents fee that would be quite a cheap jacket. ;)
And some shops here used to charge that fee to the customer.

Maxvorstadt: As far as I know, this authenticitation is only needed when you buy for more than 30 Euros.
That is correct but as I assumed m,ost stores won't even be aware about this fact. That's the reason I stated this in this thread adressing a blue. Maybe they will change it.
So, what you're saying is...

We're all going to be using PayPal from now on?