It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DubConqueror: What strikes me (in a negative way), is that the atmosphere of the game is much more cheerful than the Fallout 3 that I know: the landscape is sunnier, the trees more colourful, the whole mood of 'let's get out of the Vault, recolonize the world and make Virginia great again', the uptempo music.
I think it's supposed to feel like the kind of propaganda the residents of the vault would be fed.

DubConqueror: Actually, Fallout 3 looked too bleak, two centuries after a nuclear holocaust nature will be flourishing more than what can be seen in the Capitol Wasteland (look what happened in Chernobyl: nature does even better with nuclear fallout but without humans interfering than with humans around).
This. Much as I like wandering around Fallout's wastelands, I'd love those games to have more varied environments including places were nature thrives. Not only would that make sense, it would also make the games more fun to play in the long run.
KneeTheCap: All in all, sounds like a perfect game for me since I absolutely love crafting, base building and the Fallout setting :D
Unfortuantely for me, crafting and base building are the last things I want in an RPG. I downright despise crafting. I play those games for adventures and exploration, not to tinker with shit. I'll loot, buy or steal what I need, thank you very much.
Post edited June 11, 2018 by Breja
Breja: Unfortuantely for me, crafting and base building are the last things I want in an RPG. I downright despise crafting. I play those games for adventures and exploration, not to tinker with shit. I'll loot, buy or steal what I need, thank you very much.
It's a good thing that there are lots of games for every taste.
KneeTheCap: Any info on forced PvP? If PvP is optional, this game is totally for me. If not, then I have to carefully consider whether or not I'll get this one.

All in all, sounds like a perfect game for me since I absolutely love crafting, base building and the Fallout setting :D
The nukes, at least, are arbitrary, as described in the conference. They can't be precisely targeted amd can hit monster lairs, individuals, or "random players".

Building also appears to be done with coins, exactly like Fallout Shelter, which means there will be microtransactions, almost without a doubt.

So, no private servers, possibility of getting nuked at any time, pay-to-win mechanics ("you can move that building anywhere" will result in fortresses getting dropped with base defenses ready to go), and apparently no sensible lore at all (gameplay clearly included X-01 power armor, which shouldnt be invented for 200 more years). Also, no VATS, and no clear sense of what levelling up does for character progression.

It might be a fun game for a broad audience, but every detail they showed sure is a thumb in the eye for anyone who is a fan of Fallout. It's not quite as bad as the C&C reveal but it clearly was made with no regard for the fans, and rather by people who said, "Hey, ESO is making money. Do that again, but call it Fallout and make it smaller"
Breja: Unfortuantely for me, crafting and base building are the last things I want in an RPG. I downright despise crafting. I play those games for adventures and exploration, not to tinker with shit. I'll loot, buy or steal what I need, thank you very much.
KneeTheCap: It's a good thing that there are lots of games for every taste.
Most RPGs provide for a variety of play styles, and that's how it should be. I don't resent crafting and base building being an option, it absolutely should be an option wherever it makes sense. Part of the fun of proper RPGs is in choosing how to play - stealth, diplomacy, combat, crafting, stealing, trading etc. In a way every option I don't choose still contributes to a fun experience simply by being a possibility. What I don't like is when an RPG forces a focus on a particular aspect, which is why F76 doesn't sound all that good to me.
KneeTheCap: Any info on forced PvP? If PvP is optional, this game is totally for me. If not, then I have to carefully consider whether or not I'll get this one.

All in all, sounds like a perfect game for me since I absolutely love crafting, base building and the Fallout setting :D
OneFiercePuppy: The nukes, at least, are arbitrary, as described in the conference. They can't be precisely targeted amd can hit monster lairs, individuals, or "random players".

Building also appears to be done with coins, exactly like Fallout Shelter, which means there will be microtransactions, almost without a doubt.

So, no private servers, possibility of getting nuked at any time, pay-to-win mechanics ("you can move that building anywhere" will result in fortresses getting dropped with base defenses ready to go), and apparently no sensible lore at all (gameplay clearly included X-01 power armor, which shouldnt be invented for 200 more years). Also, no VATS, and no clear sense of what levelling up does for character progression.

It might be a fun game for a broad audience, but every detail they showed sure is a thumb in the eye for anyone who is a fan of Fallout. It's not quite as bad as the C&C reveal but it clearly was made with no regard for the fans, and rather by people who said, "Hey, ESO is making money. Do that again, but call it Fallout and make it smaller"
Hmm, good points. Still, I need more info before making any decisions :D

Gotta like though that Bethesda made the game available for pre-order before anything about the game was announced, only the name :D
DubConqueror: Actually, Fallout 3 looked too bleak, two centuries after a nuclear holocaust nature will be flourishing more than what can be seen in the Capitol Wasteland (look what happened in Chernobyl: nature does even better with nuclear fallout but without humans interfering than with humans around).
Breja: This. Much as I like wandering around Fallout's wastelands, I'd love those games to have more varied environments including places were nature thrives. Not only would that make sense, it would also make the games more fun to play in the long run.
Well, there was this place in Fallout 3, but it was pretty well hidden. I completely missed it on my first playthrough :P
Attachments:
fallout3.jpg (449 Kb)
Breja: This. Much as I like wandering around Fallout's wastelands, I'd love those games to have more varied environments including places were nature thrives. Not only would that make sense, it would also make the games more fun to play in the long run.
Matewis: Well, there was this place in Fallout 3, but it was pretty well hidden. I completely missed it on my first playthrough :P
I've only done one playthrough - and not encountered it. Where can it be found?
Matewis: Well, there was this place in Fallout 3, but it was pretty well hidden. I completely missed it on my first playthrough :P
DubConqueror: I've only done one playthrough - and not encountered it. Where can it be found?
Oh I can't remember exactly. I was exploring along the edge of the map, in what seemed like mountenous terrain, and just stumbled across it. It's called the Oasis: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Oasis

Pheace: Nothing beyond 'You can absolutely play it solo' I think. But there's a sea of possible differences in that definition still. If that just means I can go solo, have a tougher time, and still get griefed by anyone that feels like doing so then I'm going to be disappointed :(
I was discussing exactly this at the Dutch Tweakers forum. There's at least two interpretations possible:

1. separate modes for single-player and multiplayer (though both are online): one that's purely focussed on the single-player story and where you don't meet any other players (and other humans are bots), the other multiplayer where every human encountered is another player.

2. there's only one mode, but you can follow the story for yourself without focussing on other players but they are there and can choose to interact with you (and like the video says: encounter might be not friendly).

If the correct interpretation is 2, it's a definite no for me.

DubConqueror: I've only done one playthrough - and not encountered it. Where can it be found?
Matewis: Oh I can't remember exactly. I was exploring along the edge of the map, in what seemed like mountenous terrain, and just stumbled across it. It's called the Oasis: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Oasis
Neat!
Post edited June 11, 2018 by DubConqueror
As did I. Regrettable, but I won't do a second playthrough just for that. I liked F3 just fine, but not enough to play it all over again.

Sometimes it's almost scary to think of all the stuff I probably missed in all those huge RPGs.
Breja: As did I. Regrettable, but I won't do a second playthrough just for that. I liked F3 just fine, but not enough to play it all over again.

Sometimes it's almost scary to think of all the stuff I probably missed in all those huge RPGs.
When I stepped out of the vault in F3 and looked at the world map for the first time I completely underestimated its size, to the point that I was actually upset that it was so small :P Another big area I missed on my first playthrough was the junkyard where you could find a possible descendant of dogmeat. That was reason enough for me to give the game another playthrough. I just had to meet dogmeat's great-great-great- ... -great-grandson!

But I don't think I'll play F3's base campaign again any time soon either. It had some tasty looking dlcs I want to check out instead, before I make my way to NV
Tauto: Online only.Not here,another bites the dust.
It's a side-project done by their Austin or Montreal studio. Normal Bethesda in Maryland is doing their normal singleplayer thing with Starfield and TES6, then presumably they'll do Fallout 5. I think that's just fine, Starfield could be amazing. I don't need a new Fallout every 2 years.

Only bummer is that, like with Elder Scrolls Online, there will be a lot of lore and such established that I read in a wiki rather than play myself.
LiquidOxygen80: 7. Fallout: BoS (The only reason this is higher than Shelter is because I liked Dark Alliance style games. This was terrible.)
darktjm: I absolutely loved all of the BGDA games that came out around that time, except for one. That "Fallout" game was the first game I ever returned to the store simply because I was downright offended by it. I guess it shows what we could've expected from Interplay, had they kept the franchise. In retrospect, though, they only pissed me off by doing the same thing every other Fallout-named game seemed intent on doing: nerfing my favorite weapon. Turing the turbo plasma rifle into some sort of multibeam laser weapon was a little over the top, though. Plus disrespecting The Bomb: making radiation just a form of poison (probably due to the fantasy roots of the engine), and all things that glow, and only things that glow are radioactive (a mistake made by Tactics as well, although to be fair 2 was heading in that direction). Of course disrespecting The Bomb is one of my main gripes against 3 as well, given that the destruction of DC looks more like WW2 conventional damage than the aftermath of even a single nuclear strike (and don't get me started on Megaton's pathetic bomb). In fact, the sort of fighting that was going on in the capital at the time of the game could easily have produced the damage we see; it's almost as if DC completely avoided the nukes.
So, how do you feel about Beth's disrespect for The Bomb now? I cringed pretty hard when Todd mentioned it for 76.
What last night's show really hit home for me was just how badly Todd misunderstands, (or frankly just doesn't care about,) Fallout and what constitutes a Fallout game's core elements. Far more than the online elements, because I'm guessing like Ark, etc, you can still start, maintain and play, your own servers and operate them privately, so you can simply limit randos effing with your setup.

Was it enough to keep me from buying it? Yes and no. I'll probably pick it up, but it will not be a day one buy. It'll be a buy after patching and a deep discount.
tinyE: GR00T makes a solid point.
GR00T: And don't get me wrong: I had a blast with FO3 and thought it was a great, fun game. But I found NV to be much better.
But seriously, if I have to hear Johnny Guitar one more time...

Even for brand new players I suggest getting a more music mod for NV. On my first playthrough I had to disable the music in order to keep playing.
LiquidOxygen80: Far more than the online elements, because I'm guessing like Ark, etc, you can still start, maintain and play, your own servers and operate them privately, so you can simply limit randos effing with your setup.
From what they said they're using dedicated servers and you won't even see anything like a server selection. I'm guessing you can simply join friends area's or something like that and appear on their map. Assuming that a spot on that map is potentially a players base (or not).

Also gives the impression areas change post-nuke into tougher more rewarding areas.