It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ghostbreed: I must see it
It's awesome. It's a B movie but it's still awesome.

Braundo, it's got what the plants crave! It's got electrolytes!
"People wrote books and movies, movies that had stories so you cared whose ass it was and why it was farting, and I believe that time can come again!"

It's almost physically painful to watch that movie...
The way German tv is going we'll soon reach Idiocracy-levels of awful. There's actually a show now which does nothing but show youtube videos of people hurting themselves.
I prefer manual saving over checkpoints or automatic saving. Although it is nice to have both options.
WildHobgoblin: It's almost physically painful to watch that movie...
The way German tv is going we'll soon reach Idiocracy-levels of awful. There's actually a show now which does nothing but show youtube videos of people hurting themselves.
Even National Geographic now has a program like that ("Science of stupid" or something like that). But they try to disguise it as "science" trying to explain the physical reasons why people got hurt.
Juts a lame attempt to justify posting videos of people doing idiotic things really.
karnak1: Even National Geographic now has a program like that ("Science of stupid" or something like that). But they try to disguise it as "science" trying to explain the physical reasons why people got hurt.
Juts a lame attempt to justify posting videos of people doing idiotic things really.
Oh my... That's just... wrong.
You really have to wonder who watches that sort of thing. Apparently enough people find this appealing to still make it profitable to broadcast this kind of tripe. Plus, it must be laughably cheap to produce.
WildHobgoblin: Oh my... That's just... wrong.
You really have to wonder who watches that sort of thing. Apparently enough people find this appealing to still make it profitable to broadcast this kind of tripe. Plus, it must be laughably cheap to produce.
http://natgeotv.com/uk/science-of-stupid

:(
IwubCheeze: Halo was just a generic "me too" overrated FPS. Entirely forgettable
Finally someone who shares my opinion about Halo.
When I mentioned this after finishing it, everyone said I should have played it when it was new to get the greatness...
Imho it can't be so great when it's so important in which year you play it.

WildHobgoblin: "People wrote books and movies, movies that had stories so you cared whose ass it was and why it was farting, and I believe that time can come again!"

It's almost physically painful to watch that movie...
I haven't watched TV since about 2008 if you don't count Southpark at their own site and the recordings of Simpsons and Futurama my gf made, but even those series got "meh" over the years...
German TV? No.
I never even had a TV set in my current appartment.

You can imagine my reaction when our television mafia introduced this new tax of about 18€ per month for every appartment and every workplace because people might watch or listen to the states own propaganda crap there while not even the common TV watchers do it (only the private channels). Arte was nice, but it's co founded by the French and if I want to watch documentary, I can go to the public library and get a DVD or BD (which I actually did a few times).

Ever since mr alcoholic, analphabet, aggrees to everything for money G.W. Bush Jr. people know, that idiocracy is already existing anyway and Obama isn't anything more than a showmaster either. The EU is using this concept too now.
Post edited February 25, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: I haven't watched TV since about 2008 if you don't count Southpark at their own site and the recordings of Simpsons and Futurama my gf made, but even those series got "meh" over the years...
German TV? No.
I never even had a TV set in my current appartment.

You can imagine my reaction when our television mafia introduced this new tax of about 18€ per month for every appartment and every workplace because people might watch or listen to the states own propaganda crap there while not even the common TV watchers do it (only the private channels).
The system used to be really terrible before though, too.
When my tv broke 3 years ago I decided not to get another one, for obvious reasons ;) So I sent them a letter asking to be "downgraded" to the radio/internet rate, which was a bit cheaper.

They replied that they won't do it, since I could secretly get my tv fixed! I was thinking about smashing the old thing and sending them a picture as proof, but then decided to let the matter rest since as a student I get to dodge the "tv tax" now.

"As far as treeclimbing goes, the higher you climb, the harder you fall."
Yep, that's science alright. Oh, the sadness...
Post edited February 25, 2015 by WildHobgoblin
WildHobgoblin: They replied that they won't do it, since I could secretly get my tv fixed! I was thinking about smashing the old thing and sending them a picture as proof, but then decided to let the matter rest since as a student I get to dodge the "tv tax" now.
By this logic, you could secretly go out and kill someone so just in case you do decide to do this, we better throw you in prison first.

If you smashed the TV, you might secretly buy a new one, so I doubt that would work either :)
Breja: I really don't like being the guy who calls modern games stupid and todays gamers idiots and all that "back in my day..." crap, but saint Joseph on a wheelbarrow with a flaming donut and mariachi band, are people today really too stupid TO SAVE THEIR GAME? Is manual save system so strange and mysterious to them? I thought most strategy, adventure and RPG games still use it. And now a reviewer on a website devoted to adventure games seems to be amazed with it.
I'd take a good smart automated save feature over manual saving everyday. Being able to save a game at the right time while playing it doesn't really rate as real intelligence for me.

People often get up in arm about silly shit that matters to them, but is not really that important in the grand scheme of things and in the meantime, they'll fail to pay attention to stuff that will really byte them in the ass.

For example, they'll berate you for tucking your t-shirt in your pants when you're under 40, but they won't be able tell you why the first-past-the-post voting system that we have is terrible.

For me, this is, perhaps, the single greatest source of human stupidity.

kalirion: You know what breaks immersion in a great story? Having to remember to keep pressing the Quicksave key every few minutes. Or worse, exiting to the main menu to save when there's no quicksave functionality.
Exactly. This is such a meta-gaming consideration. Just play the game.
Post edited February 25, 2015 by Magnitus
karnak1: Even National Geographic now has a program like that ("Science of stupid" or something like that). But they try to disguise it as "science" trying to explain the physical reasons why people got hurt.
WildHobgoblin: Oh my... That's just... wrong.
i watched it once ONCE

it felt like braniac only even more insipid and stupid
and that takes some beating
kalirion: You know what breaks immersion in a great story? Having to remember to keep pressing the Quicksave key every few minutes. Or worse, exiting to the main menu to save when there's no quicksave functionality.
Magnitus: Exactly. This is such a meta-gaming consideration. Just play the game.
Honestly, is the task of pressing F5 so hard it requires enough of your attention to take you out of the game? It's like saying turning a page brakes your immersion when reading a book.

Then again today there are people who probably have that problem and thats why they need someone else to read the book for them as audiobook.
Magnitus: Exactly. This is such a meta-gaming consideration. Just play the game.
Breja: Honestly, is the task of pressing F5 so hard it requires enough of your attention to take you out of the game? It's like saying turning a page brakes your immersion when reading a book.

Then again today there are people who probably have that problem and thats why they need someone else to read the book for them as audiobook.
Exactly. There are for sure people who like to hear audiobooks while driving long distances to have no disturbings in the story... I repeat: No disturbings when hearing the story while driving the car in traffic. Ahem. That's what I call immersion! ;) Luckily the cars will drive automatically soon.
Could some kind and rich goglodyte gift me such car, so I can send it at work doing my shit there? Work is such an immersion-breaker of my spare time ;P
Post edited February 26, 2015 by gamefood
Breja: Honestly, is the task of pressing F5 so hard it requires enough of your attention to take you out of the game? It's like saying turning a page brakes your immersion when reading a book.
It's a meta-detail you have to remember that takes away from the immersion.

It's not a big deal, but if that part is auto-managed, it's an improvement.

I'm a software developper so I'm definitely on the camp of "having computer taking care of inane details allows me to focus on the stuff that demands real human intellect" and I do consider managing your save games to be an inane detail (far from the worst offender I'll grand you that).

Some people are of the opinion that things should be more manual, but what those people often fail to realize is that if that were the case, a lot of the technical and scientific progress we are experiencing would not be possible.

Yes, we need computers and automation if we are to achieve all that we can achieve. Let's not fear automation, still plenty of stuff that only a human can do.
Post edited February 26, 2015 by Magnitus
Breja: Honestly, is the task of pressing F5 so hard it requires enough of your attention to take you out of the game?
It's unnecessary, that's the consntatly repeated argument around the discussion. It would be like criticizing Grim Fandango for not having the old 'look at', 'talk to', 'pick' etc. buttons - and even those have more utility and can be used for immersion more than having to constantly think outside the game about saving.

Breja: It's like saying turning a page brakes your immersion when reading a book.
Turning a page in a book is comparable to the necessity of launching a game, going trough main menu and loading save state, not with continuous saving. It's a technical limitation without which you can't read a book / play a game. In fact, there's nothing comparable to constant saving while reading a book, which is just another argument against forced manual saves - getting to the end of a page automatically prompts your brain to turn the page, just as necessity to leave or launch the game prompts you to do so. There's no such thing with quicksaving, you don't hit a limitation or end of page - you just have to keep thinking outside the game that 'Boy, now I need to save'.

Breja: Then again today there are people who probably have that problem and thats why they need someone else to read the book for them as audiobook.
*sigh* I'll just let you figure out what's wrong with this statement in a serious discussion.

gamefood: Could some kind and rich goglodyte gift me such car
It goes by several names: Tram, bus, train, subway, take your pick. I read ALL THE BOOKS there!
Post edited February 26, 2015 by Fenixp