It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Too bad I'm not a sugar person :-P
Niggles: Been wondering about that myself.
scampywiak: Well, how did they do it with Witcher 2? Because that game was DRM free.
Cant remember how it worked.
There cant be that many AAA games willing to go DRM free i would *guess*......
TheEnigmaticT: You are correct about this (for the EU, at least), but after 5 years of not charging more in Europe, it's hardly a main motivator for us at the moment.
blotunga: Can GOG afford its European userbase? Most of us were fans of the "One world, one price" thing. Now GOG will become just another online store.
I think the most important point in possibly losing EU customers, is considering whether they would be willing to pay regional prices or not. And seeing the sales chart for Steam this month I'd say we're absolutely fine with doing so.

Steam's sales are 41% US, 40% EU, and the rest spread among the others (with Brazil and RU as growing markets, for various reasons, one being local currency implementation, the more obvious one being the resale of games from those markets to people from EU/US/AU etc with the ingame trading system)

Yet, despite the above mentioned possibility to get games for less through Steam trading, EU is still a massive part of the sales percentage. Clearly we're buying the regionally priced games anyway.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Pheace
Wishbone: You may as well just drop the pretense and start selling only Steam keys.
I sure hope those suits feel good.
^This...
TheEnigmaticT: ...
Elenarie: Do you intend to give Russia special discounts similar to how Steam does it, even though the other countries in the EE region are far, far poorer?
That's out of our hands, as I already indicated; regional pricing for publishers or devs is in their hands.
high rated
GOG.com: That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are.
I don't think I share your view of what constitutes "good news". I'm also damned sure I won't be excited by your new regionally priced games.

"Welcome to GOG.com, where $1 = €1, just like on Steam!"
I don't mind regional pricings, not even region locks (someone who travels a lot might have problems with it for sure though), but please don't allow that abysmal retroactive region locking that Steam did recently. That thing is essentially a scam; I don't think I need to go into detail about why it is. Their support will love me for having possibly 2 games that they need to remove thanks to this arsehattery.
blotunga: I'm willing to bet that after regional pricing DRM will come into play.
Vestin: Oh really? How much are you willing to bet, hotshot?
I cant see DRM happening to GOG, i mean TeT basically said there was no compromise on drm free (that and most of GOG's customer base would say thanks and goodbye - commercial suicide)
Vestin: Oh really? How much are you willing to bet, hotshot?
Explain to me how do you enforce regional pricing without DRM?
Wishbone: You may as well just drop the pretense and start selling only Steam keys.
blotunga: ^This...
Yeah, I'm sure DRM is just around the corner....

Jesus christ you guys. They've offered so much over the years and the second something goes awry you're at their heels like rabid dogs.
TheEnigmaticT: That's out of our hands, as I already indicated; regional pricing for publishers or devs is in their hands.
Are there any of your so-called "principles" you didn't throw out the window today?
scampywiak: Until all online stores are DRM free, this isn't exactly the case.
blotunga: As I said before. How can they enforce regional pricing without DRM? Else I can always use a proxy.
You're conflating two different things. DRM and regional pricing aren't exactly related.
Niggles: Banner Saga had a region lock at one point? got to be kidding me...
Pheace: Still reading the thread but this was a temporary flag change in the database that affected 10 or so games and was reverted a few hours later. Probably a mistake
Whats the deal with Rust?. I thought they were Indie?
Wishbone: Wow.

Really, GOG?

Just, wow.

I have no words.

No wait, I do have some words, actually. The reason I have spent so much time here since you started this fantastic business is that you were NOT like all the other DD sites out there. You had principles and you stuck by them. You truly cared about your customers in a way that no other digital retailer did. Every other service appeared to be run by corporate suits, but not yours. Well, those days are obviously over. You may as well just drop the pretense and start selling only Steam keys.

Yes, never mind all the good things GOG has introduced within the last year. Who cares that the games are DRM free, that they've brought us a lot of good old, modern, and indie games, the fantastic sales, the 30-day money back policy? No, fuck them. Clearly, this compromise they've made to bring us more games they couldn't bring us before due to legal agreements (which, believe it or not, kids, they have to comply with) was just them gearing up to completely screw us over. Exactly.

Gamers have got to be the most fickle customers on the planet.
brunosiffredi: Maybe if GOG.com presented more information about how pricing will change for these new titles, which regions or countries will actually see some change, etc., people wouldn't be freaking out so much.

Is this regional pricing going to be different for each country or just some countries? I hope regional pricing does not mean overcharging customers in regions that are already economically disadvantaged, like South America, Africa, eastern Europe, etc.
TheEnigmaticT: Due to NDAs and due to the fact that we don't have contracts signed for a lot of the games that we're working on bringing to GOG, we can't go into more detail because we ourselves do not know all of the relevant details.
Thank you for the reply. In any case, it's great to see that GOG.com is addressing customer concerns over this issue.