It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
IAmSinistar: Apology for the very select quoting, and I hope I'm not reading too much into this out of context. But does this mean that lawyers are involved right now? Is GOG's whole business model under scrutiny and you are being pressured to implement these broad changes in an extended version of what happened during The Witcher 2?

I can understand if you can't comment on this. Speech is to lawyers what sunlight is to vampires.
TheEnigmaticT: In the business world, lawyers are always involved. :)
Yes in the business world Professional Liars are always involved!
Ugh. Ended 1:5. What a day to be an abstainer.

Well, the terrible spin-doctor way this announcement came out surely doesn't win You any favours.

TheEnigmaticT: The problem for us is looking at the future of GOG.com and DRM-free gaming. We could, I suppose, settle into our niche as "that place that sells old games", and let it be.

We have bigger dreams than that.
Can't say I care much for Your "bigger dreams", the focus of this place has shifted pretty dramatically from what got me interested in the first place. I'd be much more inclined to cheer on the Tommos and Night Dives (and IAmSinistars and tfishells ;)) of the world, that are doing the job I'd hoped You'd be putting more focus on.

I liked the (often illusory, but sometimes real) feeling of supporting the creators of the classics I'd been buying from here, but I think Kickstarter is now the better place for that. So I guess I can go back to saving up and slowly pulling out the oldies of ebay again.
The only thing still giving me that pleasant, warm feeling here is the lovely game shelf, so please, don't burn it!
Hopefully, one day, the real-life shelf will be as impressive as the gog one ;)
Post edited February 21, 2014 by MoP
HGiles: snip

They might if they believe the new EU rules require that, but I can't see another sound business reason to do so.
What are these new EU rules that are repeatedly brought up? I've yet to hear of anything being changed regarding e-commerce, VAT and/ or taxes.

amok: because there is no single worldwide income level.
And current regional pricing addresses that?

dirtyharry50: What is unfortunate for those negatively affected and upset by this in my opinion is that ultimately most might be unhappy with this but most will vote to tolerate it by purchasing anyway. I guess i cannot blame them either when given the choice of games or no games. I'd probably pay up too because I want to play even while cursing the bastards raping me on price.

The entire reason regional pricing continues to exist is because consumers tolerate it. They buy the stuff anyway. If they refused to purchase in large numbers and sales took a real and unmistakable, painful nosedive, regional pricing would at the minimum improve if not go away entirely. Whatever the market will bear is what something is worth and sometimes it can be pretty frustrating what the market as a whole will bear.

snip
And that’s the sad, sad truth unfortunately.

Tpiom: snip

It's easier to change their afterwards... I guess it's the next revolution after drm.
I’m afraid only if regional priced sales stink.

Avogadro6: Now that I think of it, have you considered that people might just be tempted get their games through their russian buddies or whatever countries will have lower pricing, and pay them back with paypal or something?
Other stores counter key reselling with regional activation, but what about GOG that have DRM-free installers?
Maybe this is the good news?

mesjarch: snip

They will give a free game to those that paid more so how is that a bad deal?

snip
I’m sorry to say that you don’t get what people are concerned and talking about if you keep bringing up that promised free game – which, btw, is there to boost pre-orders.
> regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe

Non standard is the new standard?
high rated
Elenarie: Here's an interesting question. I am originally from Macedonia where the average salary is about 300 EUR. We pay the same price like western European countries that have average salary of 3000+ EUR.

So, with this regional pricing, will we see price reduction to 90% of the original price, since hey, its a regional price now? (Its a rhetorical question, I know that we will be paying the same price as rich European countries)
TheEnigmaticT: Regional pricing is developer or publisher determined; if they want to do it, then we'd be happy to go along with them on it.
Give you an example of the pricing involved for certain existing games (courtesy of steamprices.com)

Civilization V (2K games)
69.99 USD (for aussies)
29.99 USD
19.99 GBP
44.99 real (Brazil)
249 roubles (Russia)
14.99 (Ukraine)

Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning (Electronic Arts)
59.99 USD (for aussies)
19.99 USD
19.99 GBP
19.99 euro (germany)
299 roubles (russia)
39.99 real (brazil)
13.99 (ukraine)

I realise these aren't exactly new games - both AAA rated games at launch
Regional pricing is one thing - but these are examples of it on a whole different level.
Have a check of the current exchange rates and you will see what i mean :/
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Niggles
TheEnigmaticT: There's no plans to do treat with Japan differently than the rest of the world at the moment.
Gydion: Hmm, at the moment. Am I reading too much into your responses or is region locking on the table for future releases?
In any case, it doesn't seem to be out of the question, if publishers apply enough pressure:

RS1978: That sounds nice in theory, but a DRM-free game I can't buy as a German is of no avail for me. Steam has many games which are not available or only censored available for German market. What you describe is exactly such a situation for further releases.
TheEnigmaticT: True enough. And I hope that will never happen, but if it does, then there's still a game that's DRM-free in 195 other countries in the world, which seems a lot better to me than a game which is DRM-free in 0 countries.
Is one of those new games Cyberpunk 2077, honest to God I'll give away my first born for the chance :)

Disclaimer: This response should in absolutely in no way be interrupted that the author is capable of producing a "1st Born".
high rated
Vainamoinen: At least they DID announce it, loudly and clearly.
Not exactly - it was disguised as "good news" (please, read it again) and thus more of an attempt to appease the - surely expected - negativity and opposition with the carrot of big "day-1" releases.
high rated
I have to say I am extremely disappointed, one price for all was one of the major reasons I like to support GoG over other platforms. It was even in your list of major selling points (I notice it is gone now).

You have to realise that a lot of us buy from GoG to support the principles of region free pricing and DRM free. As you erode the principles there becomes less reason to not just buy wherever is most convenient.
Gydion: Hmm, at the moment. Am I reading too much into your responses or is region locking on the table for future releases?
It's likely just a manner of speaking - "we're not planning X at this time" doesn't mean "we were/will be planning X". It means: "We're not planning X, but are smart enough not to make definite statements you can call us out on if something were to happen in the future that would cause us to change our minds in this regard, in spite of no obvious reasons for doing so earlier".
One world, one price is now gone. So when are you going to ditch drm-free?

Well, good luck to you. Loyalty is hard to earn but easy to lose.
Darvond: Hey, I realize this may be against policy, but can we get a list of the partners who are being whiny babies about this?
Garret02: Try everyone.
I somehow doubt indies and all publishers are clamoring for this. :B
Vainamoinen: At least they DID announce it, loudly and clearly.
HypersomniacLive: Not exactly - it was disguised as "good news" (please, read it again) and thus more of an attempt to appease the - surely expected - negativity and opposition with the carrot of big "day-1" releases.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnoR9cBP3o
Darvond: I somehow doubt indies and all publishers are clamoring for this. :B
Indies, maybe not. Publisher, definitely.
Darvond: I somehow doubt indies and all publishers are clamoring for this. :B
Sadly this opens the door since once one see's they can get away with it, most of rest think they can as well - who is to say it wont classic game prices at some point (cant see indies getting away with it though)