It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
high rated
Don't worry guys, it's still DRM-free. Well, at least until some too-big-to-lose publishers decide that they don't like that either.
Why do I have the feeling that this is all Bethesda / Zenimax's doing...
TheEnigmaticT: Sure, game is 35 euro. Since we aren't set up to process euro, we charge ~$45 in USD (the USD equivalent) for it and explain why.
Since you seem to ignore the last one - how come you do not manage to charge in the currency for each region? This means that if gOg's conversion on the value of the game is comparable to other stores (for example Steam, Humble and GamersGate) it means that the gOg games becomes more expensive as the bank/PayPal adds the conversion charges.

All other stores I use manages to charge me in £ when there is regional pricing, even Humble who did the same thing a couple of days ago. What is so special about gOg's payment system?
Post edited February 21, 2014 by amok
Foxhack: Why do I have the feeling that this is all Bethesda / Zenimax's doing...
I wish. The more likely scenario is something like Deep Silver. :P
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Leroux
TheEnigmaticT: <My question and TET's response>
wpegg: I appreciate your response, and it does go some way to answering many questions here. I was hoping you'd address some of the "inner" questions there, the bits with question marks after them. I know that right now you're fighting the PR war and it would be silly to fan flames, but perhaps later you will address the questions I asked?
They're pretty in-depth and I'm answering you guys in the fora from a poker game I'm currently losing, but I'll try to get back to you. Some of them aren't questions I can answer, and some of them aren't questions I *should* answer, but I'll respond to the ones I can.
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: We hope that you guys, the people who've brought us to where we are, will agree with this choice once you get the chance to see it in action.
So you're asking the people "who brought you here" because you're not like steam to support your decision to become more like steam? Makes sense...

You know, people will get used to it. You get a lot of flame for that but it will pass. You know it, I know it, everyone here knows it. But that's only up to a certain point. You're putting drm here, your business is gone. And I know you're repeating that it's all for "drm-free revolution (lol)" so I should not be even pointing this out but for me, every PR person is just spewing time convenient bullshit. No offense.
DAlancole: And people whinging about not being able to get cheap games isn't about the money?
rmuchall: This isn't at all about wanting to get cheap games. It's about the desire to have an open and fair marketplace for digital products.

Here is a good example of the absolute farce that is regional pricing:
http://www.steamprices.com/eu/app/2280/ultimate-doom

Ultimate Doom
Buy it from the USA and it costs $4.99 USD (€3.63 EURO)
Buy it from Germany and it costs $13.72 USD (€9.99 EURO)

That's a 64 percent markup on a purely digital item simply because your IP address is different.

This is simply because publishers are greedy and in order to sell new titles GOG are abandoning one of their founding (core?) principles and caving to outside pressure.
I don't think anyone here would say that's right but rather that it should be consumers making the smart decision and deciding if something is to expensive or is worth the extra cost because of regional pricing... those complaining would much rather all of us miss out on new DRM free games and keep GOG in the niche area of old games, in which case you wouldn't have gotten the game anyway. GOG can't force publishers to change. While all the other stores continue to do the same thing with DRM for old/new games regardless of how you feel about it.

GOG like any company must expand... and they should. GOG's main principle has always been DRM free... not anything else.
TheEnigmaticT: I'm answering you guys in the fora from a poker game I'm currently losing
Ah, now this whole story makes a lot more sense to me. ;)
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Leroux
Yay!

time to stop bickering and start ordering!
Guys, if regional pricing is all it takes to bring some exciting new titles here, then by all means do it! And I for one do not mind paying a bit more either - at least I am getting a product that is not crippled like in other stores.

Did I mention to say "yay"? :-)
amok: ...
Yea, "lets do regional pricing, but charge you in a foreign currency, because why the hell not!"

If you're doing something, at least do it right, there is 0 reason for an European citizen to pay for a product in $ when the price is advertised in EUR.
wpegg: I appreciate your response, and it does go some way to answering many questions here. I was hoping you'd address some of the "inner" questions there, the bits with question marks after them. I know that right now you're fighting the PR war and it would be silly to fan flames, but perhaps later you will address the questions I asked?
TheEnigmaticT: They're pretty in-depth and I'm answering you guys in the fora from a poker game I'm currently losing, but I'll try to get back to you. Some of them aren't questions I can answer, and some of them aren't questions I *should* answer, but I'll respond to the ones I can.
How are these changes going to affect customers in South America and Brazil? Will we be getting US prices or specific prices for the region (or something else)?
Tinwhistle: Yay!

time to stop bickering and start ordering!
Guys, if regional pricing is all it takes to bring some exciting new titles here, then by all means do it! And I for one do not mind paying a bit more either - at least I am getting a product that is not crippled like in other stores.

Did I mention to say "yay"? :-)
That's the big question, my dear fellow. Perhaps you and I and all German customers will get here a whole bunch of crippled games very soon. Ask the Australian buyers of The Witcher 2 how GOG is handling that matter...
Post edited February 21, 2014 by RS1978
TheEnigmaticT: ...
Here's an interesting question. I am originally from Macedonia where the average salary is about 300 EUR. We pay the same price like western European countries that have average salary of 3000+ EUR.

So, with this regional pricing, will we see price reduction to 90% of the original price, since hey, its a regional price now? (Its a rhetorical question, I know that we will be paying the same price as rich European countries)
amok: ...
Elenarie: Yea, "lets do regional pricing, but charge you in a foreign currency, because why the hell not!"

If you're doing something, at least do it right, there is 0 reason for an European citizen to pay for a product in $ when the price is advertised in EUR.
That's the tax for being DRM-free.
makr3la: Important question to TheEnigmaticT:
Will you change your Privacy Policy now?
RadonGOG: This is really an interesting question, would love to hear the answer on that one!

And still, there´s another non-answered question left: Why don´t you just raise prices for everybody on this planet instead of dividing the world again? I just don´t get the point why we shouldn´t accept higher prices---ATM you are so incredibly cheap that this would possible with ease!
Oh, and please fill the gap at this "What is GOG"-line! It feels so disappointing!
The short answer is that your suggestion is non-competitive to the point where we'd be shooting ourselves in the face commercially.