It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
high rated
SCPM: Questions:
Can we still gift these games to gamers from different regions, and will each region still be getting the same versions of these games?
TheEnigmaticT: For releases of launch day stuff, I have no idea. [...]
If you allow gifting between different regions, you'll face the same problems as Steam... People will "sell" 35 Dollar games for 38 Dollar to people who live in 45 Dollar regions. You'll be forced to react, just as you were forced to react with the Fallout gifts...

I'm a bit torn inside, reading this announcement... On one hand I'm happy, because it means that GOG is going strong. You would't have to worry about regional pricing if you wouldn't have your hands on some good games. And I think there are some really great titles coming, because the sceptical reaction of the community was more than predictable. You don't piss off your fanbase for nothing. You only do this when something big is happening, like the website going out of Beta or something... Furthermore, there seem to be some big guys who would give their stuff DRM free under certain circumstances. That's good news. Really good news!

On the other hand... You lost another one of your principles (at least it was perceived as one of your principles). You stopped being "Good Old Games". No big deal, I'm happy with newer games (I even bought STALKER series and Blackguards). Then you said you'll stick with the 5.99 and 9.99 price points for old games, yet I see 7 years old games for 19.99 (STALKER SoC) or 29.99 (Sam & Max - and yes, I know those are "episodic" adventures...). Again, no big deal. And now this... All what's left from Good Old Games, is the "DRM free". I can see why people are a bit concerned...

The last changes were worth it (newer games and flexible prices). Hope this one will turn out good as well. But I really see a problem with "gifts". And I'm curious how big the differences will be...
trusteft: I agree with you, I just wanted to say, stop voting in office complete douches..
ReynardFox: Voting is mandatory and we only have a choice between a douche and a turd sandwich.
Sounds like America although voting is discouraged for some folks in various ways where it would not be in the best interests of those doing the discouraging. Pretty much our entire government is now corrupt and owned by the 1% in this nation. I sometimes wonder how long it is going to be before the rioting in the streets begins here too.
edit:
Double post... GOG bear incoming?
Post edited February 21, 2014 by real.geizterfahr
TheEnigmaticT: To my knowledge, there's no plans currently underweigh to change how gifting works.
IAmSinistar: Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Hope it remains the case, then.

TheEnigmaticT: We're from Europe after all (well, everyone in the company but me. w0rma, and TurnipSlayer)
IAmSinistar: Wait, Judas is from Europe? When did Hell join the EU?
He was born in Poland, I think. He just grew up in Hell. :P
WITCHER THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

AIAIAIAIAIAAAAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIIAIAIIAI!!!!

( I hope)
Really disappointed with gog over this decision about regional pricing. That was one of the best things about gog. Games were cheap.
I hope this won't become a trend for ALL your games, or I can't see myself continuing to buy things here tbh.
Well, let's wait and see and hope the benefits for GOG are bigger than the drawbacks of this decision
TheEnigmaticT: He was born in Poland, I think. He just grew up in Hell. :P
Sort of a lateral move, no? ;)
Is there a *wish* in the forums yet to get GOG to stop regional pricing? If so, I'd like to vote that up. I live in the US so I don't have to overpay, but I don't think it's fair anyone else should...
You would hope that negotiations would work here.

But GOG isn't the market leader. And when a publisher/developer can sell their game on that market leading platform, with all their requirements intact, then GOG can't really offer anything apart from slightly increased sales in their negotiations.

DRM free is enough of a force in the industry right now for GOG to be feasible. If GOG declined to sell these big titles without regional pricing, they would never appear here. You've got one group of people annoyed at regional pricing, and reasonably so. Then you've got another group of people annoyed that GOG only rarely sells new releases, or is missing certain releases, and reasonably so.

What can you do? Can one group of consumers really be ranked above the other?
Post edited February 21, 2014 by wizardtypething
Gydion: Care to comment on Japan and Japanese publishers in particular? They seem particularly keen on regional restrictions.
There's no plans to do treat with Japan differently than the rest of the world at the moment.
high rated
glumpot: Is there a *wish* in the forums yet to get GOG to stop regional pricing? If so, I'd like to vote that up. I live in the US so I don't have to overpay, but I don't think it's fair anyone else should...
There is now:
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/ban_all_regional_pricing_from_gog_stick_with_your_principles
Can't say I'm super happy with this annoucement either but as with all purchases people just need to determine if the price being offered is worth it or not. Even if its more than whats being offered to others. If its not just don't buy it until it drops/ goes on sale or not at all.
glumpot: Is there a *wish* in the forums yet to get GOG to stop regional pricing? If so, I'd like to vote that up. I live in the US so I don't have to overpay, but I don't think it's fair anyone else should...
jorlin: There is now:
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/ban_all_regional_pricing_from_gog_stick_with_your_principles
Thank you for this!
TheEnigmaticT: Divinity: Original Sin is an example of the kind of game we're talking about; it's already launched on Steam for early access with regional pricing, and it wouldn't be very fair of Larian to give our EU and UK users a better value for the game if they buy it from GOG.com later as opposed to Steam now.
RS1978: I was resolved to buy Divinity: Original Sin at its release here on GOG, but now I'm very undecided. Regional prices means usually that Germans have to pay the highest fees of all. If Larian believe they can offer an US buyer better conditions as a German one, then I'm not willing to reward such a policy.

I'm definitely not blaming GOG for this, it's clear that you have to make concessions and if that's the prize we have to pay for big DRM-free releases, then perhaps it has to be - but I always feel a little cheated with it. Regarding Steam prices: I would never consider to buy a game for standard price on Steam, due they are always much too high for German customers.

But I wonder what will be the next step? Censored games for Germany as it is usual on Steam?
EH??? same Here Buddy! Aussies slugged 50 percent more for tech products.

Australians are being forced to pay up to 50 percent more for technology hardware and software compared to the US, the parliamentary committee investigating IT price disparities has found.