It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Trilarion: GOG has its location in Cyprus, an offshore very low tax haven as we all know. Do they pay taxes at all?
For digital goods, being registered in Cyprus means prices include 19%VAT for EU customers. So, up to now, what was optimal for them was to attract non EU customers (hence use of USD rather than EUR ).

The VAT regime for digital goods will change as of 2015. The tax rate applicable will be that of the consumer's country of residence : http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/traders/e-commerce/ . This will make it difficult for smaller players, all of this because the large e-book platforms benefited from a very favourable 3% tax rate in Luxembourg ( typicall EU stupidity : one Member State plays against all others. rather than to have that MS play collectively and cancel this tax loop, one implements something that will annoy everyone and generate side-effects )
Post edited February 25, 2014 by Phc7006
Paradoks: "Extra Bonus Goodies Revolution"
[url=http://www.gog.com/game/dark_fall_3_lost_souls]do [url=http://www.gog.com/game/risk_of_rain]hide [url=http://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3]my goodies?

Not that I really care (I'm here for games, not for avatars), but "goodies" isn't exactly what GOG (Goodies Or GTFO) stands for... At least not when you look at the recent releases.
After skimming through this thread, it seems like some people here are too damning about this announcement, IMHO.
While regional pricing is not exactly fair - as long as it helps gog getting more big releases, then i'm for it.

The one thing that gog absolutely must keep its hands away from, is the 'drm free' part. Mess this thing up at your peril.
real.geizterfahr: [url=http://www.gog.com/game/dark_fall_3_lost_souls]do [url=http://www.gog.com/game/risk_of_rain]hide [url=http://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3]my goodies?

Not that I really care (I'm here for games, not for avatars), but "goodies" isn't exactly what GOG (Goodies Or GTFO) stands for... At least not when you look at the recent releases.
Well, we are working on getting one of those games some more goodies :)

I've already explained the whole goodies thing in this thread :)

My most recent posts
Solei: After skimming through this thread, it seems like some people here are too damning about this announcement, IMHO.
While regional pricing is not exactly fair - as long as it helps gog getting more big releases, then i'm for it.

The one thing that gog absolutely must keep its hands away from, is the 'drm free' part. Mess this thing up at your peril.
Many people rationalize allowing one thing by making clear how they are about never retreating behind the next thing. Hence all the people in this thread saying "Well the drm is the important thing. So long as we have that, gog is ok".
high rated
I'm first to admit that I feel disappointed by the recent announcement, especially because, as I often admitted, my knowledge about sales, taxes, region differences and economics is very limited and hence I couldn't judge by myself if regional pricing is fair or not. At the first glance it seemed to me that it's not but still I didn't want to form my own opinion because I was aware of my limited knowledge on that matter. But over the two years I'm here, GOG itself convinced me that regional pricing is unfair and trusted them. So It's really shocking for me to see they are about to introduce regional pricing on their site and I'm eagerly waiting for more explanations that should come here soon.

So yes, I'm very much against this action as many other users. But I'm also a bit shocked by "GOG is evil now" attitude. The world is not black and white, there are more then two categories of companies. I'm first to admit that regional pricing seems to be a huge step backwards but it doesn't nullify their previous achievements. GOG is greedy? Please, all evidence to the contrary! Do I have to remind you about charity promo? How about free and frequent updates? Including soundtracks, manuals, localizations and most important - expansions. Everything for free. I'm sorry but calling them greedy is just unfair.

Don't get me wrong, I too think that it was a terrible mistake. And most probably they won't be even able to fix it easily because their negotiations probably went to far already to cancel regional pricing. So yes, most probably we will have to deal with this mistake. But hey, mistakes happen. To everybody. So tell me, if somebody makes a mistake (in real life I mean) and hurts you, do you immediately say to him "go away, I don't want to deal with you anymore"? I would only do so if I was sure that somebody hurt me on purpose. Otherwise I'm always willing to give a second chance. I'm not saying it's easy and it's not that I'm trying to pretend that nothing happened. No, far from that.

Call me naive anytime you want but I simply can't and won't believe that GOG decided to screw us. I'm more then sure that their intention was good, no doubts about it.

So yeah, that my attitude. I do feel deeply disappointed but I can't forget about every amazing things they've done so far. IMHO it's the first major screw-up so it's far too early to say they are evil now. If (and only if!) it turns out that it was not an isolated mistake then I'll change my opinion about them. At the moment I still regard them highly.
real.geizterfahr: [url=http://www.gog.com/game/dark_fall_3_lost_souls]do [url=http://www.gog.com/game/risk_of_rain]hide [url=http://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3]my goodies?

What is a bit funny, is that on Steam you at least get trading cards from for example Risk Of Rain, were the artwork of each card can be used as wallpapers...
Ghorpm: So yes, I'm very much against this action as many other users. But I'm also a bit shocked by "GOG is evil now" attitude. The world is not black and white, there are more then two categories of companies. I'm first to admit that regional pricing seems to be a huge step backwards but it doesn't nullify their previous achievements. GOG is greedy? Please, all evidence to the contrary! Do I have to remind you about charity promo? How about free and frequent updates? Including soundtracks, manuals, localizations and most important - expansions. Everything for free. I'm sorry but calling them greedy is just unfair.
+1 :)
JudasIscariot: I've already explained the whole goodies thing in this thread :)
Don't worry, I'm not going to hang you for some missing goodies ;) In fact I think you're doing a great job on the extras (STALKER coming to mind). It's just something I noticed recently.
Ghorpm: most probably they won't be even able to fix it easily because their negotiations probably went to far already to cancel regional pricing.
If they truly want to revert it they sure can, all it takes is just these three games to be regionally priced (only these).
But they probably wont do it.
Ghorpm: Snip...

So yeah, that my attitude. I do feel deeply disappointed but I can't forget about every amazing things they've done so far. IMHO it's the first major screw-up so it's far too early to say they are evil now. If (and only if!) it turns out that it was not an isolated mistake then I'll change my opinion about them. At the moment I still regard them highly.
+1 :)

Exactly my thoughts. Except for it being their first screw up.
Shutting down the site without a word when they moved out of beta was a big 'nono' too.
Post edited February 25, 2014 by Lactococcus
Ghorpm: most probably they won't be even able to fix it easily because their negotiations probably went to far already to cancel regional pricing.
mobutu: If they truly want to revert it they sure can, all it takes is just these three games to be regionally priced (only these).
But they probably wont do it.
But that's a pure speculation (and I mean both sentences - mine and yours) since we have no data whatsoever. Therefor I think it's better to discuss what we can be sure about. And my point is that one screw-up indeed damaged their image but it didn't (and shouldn't) destroy it completely
GabiMoro: I don't know how are things in Germany but in Romania the store (the seller) has the obligation to charge you VAT (except for the very small stores), even if the purchase is online or not.

If the seller is located in another country things get complicated but I guess he still has to charge you VAT and then to declare it and pay it to the Romanian state.
Ok, I was wondering if GOG has to pay VAT on purchases. I'm assuming it's gotta be paid regardless of where the seller is.
blotunga: Well here it's just 1$ = 1euros. On GMG it's 1GBP (so it's even worse). Some sites (indigala and bundlestars) do a proper conversion and then apply VAT. That I can consider ok (although it's semi-honest, as they display the VAT only at checkout).
I hate it when you can't get a shipping cost until you checkout.
Post edited February 25, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
JudasIscariot: I've already explained the whole goodies thing in this thread :)
real.geizterfahr: Don't worry, I'm not going to hang you for some missing goodies ;) In fact I think you're doing a great job on the extras (STALKER coming to mind). It's just something I noticed recently.
We'll see how you feel in about 49 minutes, then :P
real.geizterfahr: Don't worry, I'm not going to hang you for some missing goodies ;) In fact I think you're doing a great job on the extras (STALKER coming to mind). It's just something I noticed recently.
JudasIscariot: We'll see how you feel in about 49 minutes, then :P
Tease.