It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
JudasIscariot: We'll see how you feel in about 49 minutes, then :P
4 - D
9 - I
Di, like in The Dig.
LucasArse confirmed :)
Post edited February 25, 2014 by Novotnus
JohnnyDollar: Which is higher down there for a newly released game, boxed retail or digital, or about the same?
Varies a lot. For the worse offenders (2K) digital is more. For most it is a bit less. For those that don't do regional pricing digital is a lot less.
CarrionCrow: Tease.
No denying that :)
real.geizterfahr: Don't worry, I'm not going to hang you for some missing goodies ;) In fact I think you're doing a great job on the extras (STALKER coming to mind). It's just something I noticed recently.
I don't know what we'll get in ~45 minutes, but I highly query whether you will ever beat your release of Two Worlds 2. German language, German manuals, complete Soundtracks and even Official German Strategy guides (!) included - what could be better? Btw, would be great to see German language support for the first Two Worlds as well, GOG's the only place on the world where you can buy this nice RPG without the tremendous online activation.
Post edited February 25, 2014 by RS1978
real.geizterfahr: Don't worry, I'm not going to hang you for some missing goodies ;) In fact I think you're doing a great job on the extras (STALKER coming to mind). It's just something I noticed recently.
49minutes til..... ?
JohnnyDollar: Ok, I was wondering if GOG has to pay VAT on purchases. I'm assuming it's gotta be paid regardless of where the seller is.
My opinion is GOG charges VAT only for user located in countries where VAT exists. This is from their Terms of Use:
"All prices include VAT or Sales Tax (rate used at the date of purchase) which will be applied based on the Country chosen at the registration stage."

I asked them once about VAT, here is GOG answer:
"Our main policy is one price disregarding where user is from, it means that because of the inside country regulations about Vat our income from the same title will be higher or lower depending where from user is buying it as we have to cover a proper amount for country of residence. Answering simpler - yes all additional costs are covered by us and send the user country (it more depends from the IP address however then from the chosen location during registration)."
RS1978: I don't know what we'l get in ~45 minutes, but I highly query whether you will ever beat your release of Two Worlds 2. German language, German manuals, complete Soundtracks and even Official German Strategy guides (!) included - what could be better? Btw, would be great to see German language support for the first Two Worlds as well, GOG's the only place on the world where you can buy this nice RPG without the tremendous online activation.
You will get German language support and a German manual today :) Granted, it's not Two Worlds II all over again with a staggering amount of goodies but I think what we have is still nice on its own :) Also, do let us know either by PMing me or writing to us if there are any goodies we missed especially in different languages :) Not being native speakers of a given language really puts a damper on research and no, Google translate doesn't work in all cases :/
Niggles: 49minutes til..... ?
Til.......
Post edited February 25, 2014 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: You will get German language support and a German manual today :) Granted, it's not Two Worlds II all over again with a staggering amount of goodies but I think what we have is still nice on its own :) Also, do let us know either by PMing me or writing to us if there are any goodies we missed especially in different languages :) Not being native speakers of a given language really puts a damper on research and no, Google translate doesn't work in all cases :/
Please, don't get me wrong, I would never expect such an amount of goodies for every release. I see goodies as what they are: Goodies, very nice to have, but not a necessity.

I'm not sure what you mean if you're speaking of missing goodies in some languages? I know of many missing features for German versions, but of course I don't know how the concerned legal situation is.

Btw. I'm hoping for a really great release today, my last day 1 purchase on GOG was the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series (not exactly my favourite games, but it was such an awesome deal... ;) ).
Post edited February 25, 2014 by RS1978
JohnnyDollar: Ok, I was wondering if GOG has to pay VAT on purchases. I'm assuming it's gotta be paid regardless of where the seller is.
GabiMoro: My opinion is GOG charges VAT only for user located in countries where VAT exists. This is from their Terms of Use:
"All prices include VAT or Sales Tax (rate used at the date of purchase) which will be applied based on the Country chosen at the registration stage."

"Our main policy is one price disregarding where user is from, it means that because of the inside country regulations about Vat our income from the same title will be higher or lower depending where from user is buying it as we have to cover a proper amount for country of residence. Answering simpler - yes all additional costs are covered by us and send the user country (it more depends from the IP address however then from the chosen location during registration)."
Thanks. They've figured out about how much VAT would cost and that went into the breakdown of how much they charge for the game. Publisher wants x amount per sale for a game. GOG takes x and adds VAT estimate/other taxes estimate + GOG's cut and other stuff :P = $9.99

That's how I assume they've done it, and that takes care of as they say "additional costs are covered by us".
Ghorpm: Snip...

So yeah, that my attitude. I do feel deeply disappointed but I can't forget about every amazing things they've done so far. IMHO it's the first major screw-up so it's far too early to say they are evil now. If (and only if!) it turns out that it was not an isolated mistake then I'll change my opinion about them. At the moment I still regard them highly.
Lactococcus: +1 :)

Exactly my thoughts. Except for it being their first screw up.
Shutting down the site without a word when they moved out of beta was a big 'nono' too.
Sure, you are right about it. But I registered here January 2012 so it happened before my time. I was mostly evaluating those two years I'm here. Anyway, my attitude is still valid even though it wasn't the first screw-up ;)
JudasIscariot: You will get German language support and a German manual today :) Granted, it's not Two Worlds II all over again with a staggering amount of goodies but I think what we have is still nice on its own :) Also, do let us know either by PMing me or writing to us if there are any goodies we missed especially in different languages :) Not being native speakers of a given language really puts a damper on research and no, Google translate doesn't work in all cases :/
RS1978: Please, don't get me wrong, I would never expect such an amount of goodies for every release. I see goodies as what they are: Goodies, very nice to have, but not a necessity.

I'm not sure what you mean if you're speaking of missing goodies in some languages? I know of many missing features for German versions, but of course I don't know how the concerned legal situation is.
Manuals, strategy guides, etc. Basically, I'd like to synchronize the available languages for a game with the goodies so it would be like this:

Game X available in English, German
goodies: goodie1 (English) goodie1(German)

Right now, it's

Game X available in English, German
goodies: goodie1 (English) no German-language goodie

See what I mean? :)
Over 3,400 posts. Did you think that GOG would generate so much excitement over preorders for 3 new launch day releases? It's fantastic isn't it?

:P
Post edited February 25, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
JohnnyDollar: Thanks. They've figured out about how much VAT would cost and that went into the breakdown of how much they charge for the game. Publisher wants x amount per sale for a game. GOG takes x and adds VAT estimate/other taxes estimate + GOG's cut and other stuff :P = $9.99

That's how I assume they've done it, and that takes care of as they say "additional costs are covered by us".
GOG sells a 9,99$ game to an american:
Developer gets 7$ and GOG gets 2,99$ (no sale tax).

GOG sells a 9,99$ game to an european:
Developer gets 7$, GOG gets 1,32$ and 1,67$ represents VAT (goes to the country the buyer resides, I choose a 20% VAT but that could be lower or larger depending on country).

JohnnyDollar: Over 3,400 posts. Did you think that GOG would generate so much excitement over preorders for 3 new launch day releases? It's fantastic isn't it?

:P
Nothing could beat the Insomnia Sale! :)
Post edited February 25, 2014 by GabiMoro
GabiMoro: GOG sells a 9,99$ game to an european:
Developer gets 7$, GOG gets 1,32$ and 1,67$ represents VAT (goes to the country the buyer resides, I choose a 20% VAT but that could be lower or larger depending on country).
We dont know that, maybe they have negociated that the developer/publisher also supports some percentage of the vat, like 50-50 or something
GabiMoro: My opinion is GOG charges VAT only for user located in countries where VAT exists. This is from their Terms of Use:

My opinion is that GOG applies the EU law on this. Based on the Directive on the sale of digital goods, theyhave to charge VAT on digital services to EU customers and they don't have to charge it to non EU customers. However, as VAT also exists in most other countries, it is possible that some non EU countries consider that the supply of digital services to their residents is located at the place of estblishment of the consumer ( that would mean that GOG would then collect a non EU VAT ) . As there is now a tendency to tax these serices at the rate applicable in the Consumer's country of residence ( as of 1.1.2015 is EU, considered in Japan ,...), one should expect VAT to become an heavier burden for digital services providers

GabiMoro: GOG sells a 9,99$ game to an american:
Developer gets 7$ and GOG gets 2,99$ (no sale tax).

GOG sells a 9,99$ game to an european:
Might be wrong, but I don't think that it should be like that. VAT applies at all stages of the transaction :

When a non EU publisher charges licences @7USD to a EU distribution portal, the portal cy has to apply reverse charge, irrespective of wherever the final consumer is. At this stage , the publisher gets 7 $ and the state 1.33$ (assuming a tax 19%, for Cyprus f.i.) /licence. The portal then invoices its EU and non EU customers 10$ , but on the sales it will pay 1.6 to the state for the EU customers. But will deduct from that what he already paid as part of the reverse charge

so if publisher sells 200 licences and portal sell 100 within EU and 100 outside :

publisher gets 1400
state gets (200x1.33) + (100x.1.6) but allows a deduction of (200x1.33) : netto 160
Portal get in total 440
Post edited February 25, 2014 by Phc7006