It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I've recently installed through GOG's Galaxy the latest revision of this game (fresh new install since I'd never installed this game before), and starting a new game in the very first mission against a crash landed UFO I noticed aliens are invisible. They move, I can see their shadws, also I can shoot and kill them, and even recover their corpses (alien corpses are perfectly visible in inventory screen only, not on tactical view). So they are there, but their "sprites" are not...

Is anyone experiencing this?? Some fix???

NOTE: I've already checked the installation with Galaxy's Verify/Repair option and everything seems to be right.
Same problem here. Affects old saves as well as new games.
What a mess this Galaxy thingy, same problems as with Witcher 3...

I finally "fixed" the issue by completly uninstalling the game, shut off Galaxy, download the usual GOG install files and installing the game as usually with the setup.exe

Bye, bye Galaxy...

PS: And don't run Galaxy again after that, since it will autodetect Xenonauts has been installed and automatically will try to "update" it to the bugged version...
Post edited September 17, 2016 by Lobuno
Lobuno: What a mess this Galaxy thingy, same problems as with Witcher 3...

I finally "fixed" the issue by completly uninstalling the game, shut off Galaxy, download the usual GOG install files and installing the game as usually with the setup.exe

Bye, bye Galaxy...

PS: And don't run Galaxy again after that, since it will autodetect Xenonauts has been installed and automatically will try to "update" it to the bugged version...
Confirmed. This fixed my issue as well. Wasn't enough to just reinstall it from scratch under galaxy, had to do the standalone install from GOG's web site.
you can just open game options page (click on game than in «more» dropdown select options) and set «install updates» = manual, «rollback to version» = 36765396 (a year ago).
turgot: you can just open game options page (click on game than in «more» dropdown select options) and set «install updates» = manual, «rollback to version» = 36765396 (a year ago).
Why would you want the outdated game when you can just install the latest and perfectly working release (v1.65) with the GOG installer files ??
Lobuno: PS: And don't run Galaxy again after that, since it will autodetect Xenonauts has been installed and automatically will try to "update" it to the bugged version...
i.e. you don't need to turn off galaxy. You can either turn off autoupdate and/or also roll back updates
^^ I'm perfectly aware of that, I warned people because in this game THAT WON'T WORK.

The moment you run Galaxy it will try to update the game (even if you installed with setup.exe) and won't give you the chance to change the "settings" options (since you installed with installer they are greyed off in Galaxy).

In any case, if you could revert to an older release thru Galaxy (I insist you can't with this game IF you installed with installer) you would get an outdated game, while with the installers you get the latest v1.65 release and working fine, so again WHY???

Oh, I get it... STOP TROLLING!!!
Post edited September 18, 2016 by Lobuno
Lobuno: I've recently installed through GOG's Galaxy the latest revision of this game (fresh new install since I'd never installed this game before), and starting a new game in the very first mission against a crash landed UFO I noticed aliens are invisible. They move, I can see their shadws, also I can shoot and kill them, and even recover their corpses (alien corpses are perfectly visible in inventory screen only, not on tactical view). So they are there, but their "sprites" are not...

NOTE: I've already checked the installation with Galaxy's Verify/Repair option and everything seems to be right.
Are you able to reproduce this problem by uninstalling the game, then downloading the standalone installer and/or patch to the same version and installing that? In order for this to be a problem induced by Galaxy itself, it would have to be a problem that does not occur for people who are not using Galaxy at all to install the game, otherwise it is most likely just a bug in the actual game itself new to the 1.65 version, and casting blame on Galaxy for it is potentially premature.

I haven't seen anyone clarify this 100% in the thread so far, but in the interest of trying to help find solutions rather than casting blame, I am installing this game right now through Galaxy myself and will try to reproduce and troubleshoot if I discover any problems. I'd recommend people who are having the problem to make the assumption that it is a bug in the game's newest patch and not something caused by Galaxy, and only after trying to rule that out by installing the game standalone would I consider that Galaxy is doing something wrong if the problem is not reproducible from standalone.

For standalone installation, make sure Galaxy is not running to prevent any auto-update mechanism from occurring during the manual installation and/or patching process. If you later launch Galaxy it will attempt to verify the game, however before it can do that there is time to click on the game, go to settings and disable auto-update anyway. A bit inconvenient but it is a workaround that works. Just do not leave Galaxy running while installing from standalone installers as that is problematic with a number of games due to auto-update by default.

I'll report back my results once the game is installed and I've had time to test it, but in the mean time for those who are experiencing the problems described, if you could please provide as much detail as possible on the problem, more of us might be able to try to reproduce it and help narrow it down, etc. so that whatever the problem is, GOG and/or the developer may be able to fix it sooner.

Hope this helps. (also gives me a good excuse to finally try out this game <grin>)
Ok, I believe I have reproduced the problem via installation through Galaxy. I'm archiving the files from the installation and uninstalling to attempt to reproduce with the standalone installer now.
Ok, the files present in the Galaxy installed version of the game are indeed not the same as what is installed via the standalone installers. I do not have a comprehensive list, however I visually notice the following differences:

Galaxy version has an additional folder "assets/alien" which is not present in the standalone installed version of the game. Since aliens are impacted by the problem being reported, it is highly likely that this is relevant. Deleting this directory might be something to try with the galaxy installed version of the game.
Hey fellas, I've filed a bug report in GOG's mantis bug tracker for this along with my details. You can log in and click on [Monitor] to keep track of the status of this problem if you like, and add your own relevant details if necessary. If anyone has submitted any support tickets to GOG about this issue, delete the form letter they send back to you and forward them the URL to my bug report with the word: "THIS!" instead. LOL

http://mantis.gog.com/view.php?id=4582

Go easy on them though. :) They'll likely get it sorted out before aliens get a chance to attack the earth.
Lobuno: I've recently installed through GOG's Galaxy the latest revision of this game (fresh new install since I'd never installed this game before), and starting a new game in the very first mission against a crash landed UFO I noticed aliens are invisible. They move, I can see their shadws, also I can shoot and kill them, and even recover their corpses (alien corpses are perfectly visible in inventory screen only, not on tactical view). So they are there, but their "sprites" are not...

Hi,

This issue is now fixed.

JudasIscariot: Hi,

This issue is now fixed.
Trying to test it, but needed to blow away former installations first. The previous installation that was uninstalled left behind a directory turd "assets" subdir, and trying to delete it is asking me to click the mouse once per file for like 10000 files. Argh... :)

Firing up cygwin terminal and hitting it up with an "rm -rf" instead, but GOG might want to confirm that when the game is uninstalled that all of the files get removed that should, as many games leave behind a big mess. Not just savegames or character data, but DLLs and all sorts of other stuff.

Should we file bug reports for such observations perhaps? I don't mind doing that if it would be helpful to GOG and eventually acted upon in future builds etc.

Update: yeah, the "rm -rf" of the dir via cygwin got past the "you need administrator privileges to delete each file one at a time for the next 20 years" problem if anyone else encounters it. :)
Post edited September 19, 2016 by skeletonbow
Lobuno:
JudasIscariot: Hi,

This issue is now fixed.
Fix confirmed.