It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello there, due to COVID-19 qurantine I decided to run through some classics and I chose old Wolfenstein 3D. However I have forund some unpleasant bugs in the game that prevents me to get to some secret areas or to explore them thoroughly. Especially when "moving wall" behind which the secret area is located moves too far and blocks the only corridor leading to it, or covers the piece of jewelery preventig me to get 100% treasure after finishng the level. A textbook example is a secret in Level 2 of Episode 6 because all other secrets are accessible from the first secret area only. However the moving wall moves too far (it moves three blocks away instead of 2) and completely blocks the corridor leading to the secret area. Is there some way how to fix it? According to the index screen my game version is 1.4, is there a higher patch version or any fix which could potentially correct this issue?
Post edited May 01, 2020 by Ferdish
Try changing cycles=auto to cycles=12000 in your dosbox_wolf3d.conf file. It will also fix the jerky framerate.
Post edited May 05, 2020 by Mr.Whitney
I'd throw away dosbox and grab a source port.
I forgot to told you that I play it with cycles set to fixed 14000 from the beginning, jerky framerate was not the issue - but it was the salvation after all :-)

I looked for help on Steam as well and some guy told me that too high framerate (70 fps or something) is the problem actually. He recommended me to drop the cycles for that particular moment (opening a secret wall) as low as possible in order to reduce the framerate. I tried with the value of 1500 cycles and it worked perfectly.

Nevertheless thank you for your time and effort. I know that source port is much better, maybe I will try that later with some mods :-)
Post edited May 06, 2020 by Ferdish
Ferdish: snip
Try ECWolf to simplify your life.
It worked well, although I encountered one problem which might also happen in the original : sometimes, when you would try opening a secret wall and there happened to be an enemy behind, the wall would not move or stop moving when it "hits" the enemy, although you would hear the sliding wall sound and it would be counted as a secret found. But the enemy's presence would prevent the passage from opening correctly. I suppose it happened in the original as well but I'm not sure.
Post edited July 19, 2020 by Pouyou-pouyou
i kno some secrets have moving walls designed specifically to pause your progress if activated from the wrong side

i think there is even a secret you may get to after moving 1 wall then if you activate 1 block over after entering the secret area that will block off your exit as well.

just sayn. devs deff designed sum secrets to holt your progress if used wrongly