It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi to everyone.

I just wanted to post some results of comparing:
- GOG setup_wings_remastered_2.1.0.2.exe vs.
- STEAM current version (installed today, as posted in subject),
regarding the (missing) voice over of the ingame journal.

As it stands the two versions are totally different - despite the same version numbers in options menu.

GOG's Wings_Data folder: total size 779 MB (817.171.705 Bytes), 126 files, 10 folders
STEAM's Wings_Data folder: 888 MB (931.469.251 Bytes), 131 files, 10 folders

Most of all, the (main storage?) file resources.assets difference:
GOG version: 225 MB (236.538.900 Bytes),
STEAM version: 297 MB (312.189.548 Bytes).

Nearly all other *.assets file are different in size and name too, but this could be due to different compiling etc.

I also looked for differences in the Config.xml file, there are (almost) none, so the voice acting differences are definitely file-based.

The problem about simple file replacing / upload etc.: Both versions are (of course...) totally incompatible towards each other:
- I tried to replace the above mentioned GOG-file (and some others linked to it) with Steam's file - GOG's Wings.exe would only start with an error exception.
- I tried to replace all GOG-files with Steam's files - GOG's Wings.exe has started with two error exceptions...

To summarize: The current GOG-version has NO voice acting, the STEAM version has it. Unfortunately you can't simply replace/add the files to make it work.
Possible Reasons: Only GOG knows why it's not included (anymore as it seems reading some comment on the shop page).

Conclusion: If you want voice acting in Wings then you have to buy the STEAM version...

I hope this clears matters a bit for us Wings veterans.
Why did they never fix this? So many of these companies get their money and run, like they hate the players so much that they never bother fixing even simple problems like this. Give us a half-baked product, and yet they patch the Steam version.
Post edited January 25, 2020 by r0cko
I did buy this game from GoG I think two years ago and gave it back afterwards due to the broken patch.
And it is still not patched?