It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

You don't have to "move" the files away from those directories, they actually need to stay there. They are the default files and are needed to restart the game. You just needed to "copy" them.

The game you started through the setup is stored in a different location.

WinXP: \documents and settings\%USER%\Local Settings\Application Data\inXile entertainment\Wasteland\XXXXXX

where XXXXXX is the 2-8 alphanumeric word you chose

http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Wasteland_1_-_The_Original_Classic
Oddly, when I moved all 16 files and made analogous folders, the game didn't run. When I put them all in one directory, it worked fine.

Not sure why the difference.

Anyway, I may as well paste in the game I started in Windows, since I seem to have rendered the characters I rolled for the Linux install rather unplayably dead, and I just don't have the patience to start anew.

Edit: Okay, I take it back. When it didn't work one way, I tried it both ways, which is very unscientific of me. So now I've a fair number (15) of redundant files.
Still, it doesn't look in /data for save games, it seems.
Post edited November 10, 2014 by MackieStingray
It installs the game and the default files to one directory, and all the "saves" are stored in another:
WinXP/ME : \documents and settings\%USER%\Local Settings\Application Data\inXile entertainment\Wasteland\XXXXXX

You do not want to run the game from the \data directory as those are the default files and will cause any new game created through the setup dialog box to just copy them.

In WL the "GAME1" and "GAME2" files are the maps AND they are also the saves.
GAME1 and GAME2. Good to know.

Other than that, I think we're talking at cross purposes here. One consideration is that I'm abusing my WINE install mostly, not my Windows install, and the file tree is a little different.