It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

golden: Just bought it yesterday with the bundle, I have no problem running it.
Playing on Win 7.
Lebesgue: I think it works well on Windows 7 with older Nvidia cards. I had very few problems running it on my 6-years old laptop with Windows 7. But, some people do have problems running it on Windows 7.

But it would be great if you can post your system specification. It might help others figure out when the game works and when it does not.
Ooops, never saw I had an answer.

My spec:
Intel i5-2500
RAM: 4 Go
AMD Radeon HD 6800
W7 64
I just bought this game and it played no problem under Windows 10 on my PC. Intro video played, started and completed a few campaign missions with no issues. I did NOT experience the crashing at the "Prepare for Battle" screen as experienced by others. My PC specs are as follows:

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (v1511 - fully updated as of 30 July 2016)
Processor: Intel i7-875K overclocked to 3.85GHz
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 390 (Asus STRIX-R9390-DC3OC-8GD5-GAMING)
Graphics Driver: AMD Radeon Crimson v16.3.2 with GPU Scaling turned ON
Monitor: Dell U3415W
Screen Resolution: 3440 x 1440
Post edited July 31, 2016 by ikrananka
Just updated to AMD Radeon Crimson v16.7.3 and all is still working well.
ikrananka: Just updated to AMD Radeon Crimson v16.7.3 and all is still working well.
Thanks for letting us know that it works on w10!
Working well on 3 different machines in here: an xp one, w7 and w10.
Now, GOG's gotta update dem review page! :P
I am using Win10 and I have the Prepare for Battle Blocker
Is there meanwhile a known issue you can do a quick workaround?
Eisenkeil: I am using Win10 and I have the Prepare for Battle Blocker
Is there meanwhile a known issue you can do a quick workaround?
The most common issue is the game clashing with one of the background processes. People reported shutting down different processes worked for them. That would be my first step, other than trying to run with compatibility mode and maybe admin access.
Anybody figured this out? The game used to work for me on Windows 10 but not anymore.
That's kinda strange. I just set the .exe's ("Launch Warhammer: Shadow of The Horned Rat") compatibility settings to:
- Compatibility mode for Win 95
ticked:
- Reduced color mode
- Run in 640x480
- Disable display scaling
- Run as administrator

And it works like a charm for me. I have Windows 10 Home, 64 bit.
THIS GAME STILL HAS CRIPPLING PROBLEMS ON WINDOWS 10

And its mostly related to image scaling, quality and resolution, i Wish that SOMEONE from GoG team could show up here and explain which technique they used to update this game for modern machines.

Since this game uses WinG32 (GDI) as its primary render, why not hack it to use DDRAW.DLL or Windows HOMM1+2 WING32.DLL OpenGL fix from the folder itself?

thanks to Dege from VOGONS you now can play Dark Omen even in 4k thanks to his fix, SOTHR needs the same love from GoG, there were the proto Total war games, seeing them working fully would be a dream.

also, How long until Dark Omen is Added to GoG's Warhammer library?
duoranger: THIS GAME STILL HAS CRIPPLING PROBLEMS ON WINDOWS 10

And its mostly related to image scaling, quality and resolution, i Wish that SOMEONE from GoG team could show up here and explain which technique they used to update this game for modern machines.

Since this game uses WinG32 (GDI) as its primary render, why not hack it to use DDRAW.DLL or Windows HOMM1+2 WING32.DLL OpenGL fix from the folder itself?

thanks to Dege from VOGONS you now can play Dark Omen even in 4k thanks to his fix, SOTHR needs the same love from GoG, there were the proto Total war games, seeing them working fully would be a dream.

also, How long until Dark Omen is Added to GoG's Warhammer library?
Dege has not created a 4k mod for the horned rat. I think you are getting mixed up with the dark omen.
HOW TO MAKE THE GAME WORK ON WIN10:

Disable any overlays/hooks, as they make the game not work.

Disable any driver optimizations in the driverHQ(nv/ati)

Set language locale to english.
(might need to enable 98 compatability mode too)

Here is a way to check which program is causing the game to not work:

"When the game freezes, don't kill the process. Open the task manager and go to the "Details" tab. Scroll down to WHSHR.EXE, right click it and click "Analyze wait chain". A window will pop up with the culprit that's causing the game to stop. I'm on Windows 10, and I don't remember if older task managers have the same option, but this is what I did. "

cheers
planewalker_dk: HOW TO MAKE THE GAME WORK ON WIN10:

Disable any overlays/hooks, as they make the game not work.

Disable any driver optimizations in the driverHQ(nv/ati)

Set language locale to english.
(might need to enable 98 compatability mode too)

Here is a way to check which program is causing the game to not work:

"When the game freezes, don't kill the process. Open the task manager and go to the "Details" tab. Scroll down to WHSHR.EXE, right click it and click "Analyze wait chain". A window will pop up with the culprit that's causing the game to stop. I'm on Windows 10, and I don't remember if older task managers have the same option, but this is what I did. "

cheers
At this rate it would had been easier if GoG had distributed the DOS version
duoranger: At this rate it would had been easier if GoG had distributed the DOS version
There's no DOS version of Shadow of the Horned Rat though.
For me, it was enough to use the "Analyse wait chain" option in Task Manager, end the offending task, and the game went ahead without any trouble (Win 10).
RollinHellvis: That's kinda strange. I just set the .exe's ("Launch Warhammer: Shadow of The Horned Rat") compatibility settings to:
- Compatibility mode for Win 95
ticked:
- Reduced color mode
- Run in 640x480
- Disable display scaling
- Run as administrator

And it works like a charm for me. I have Windows 10 Home, 64 bit.
Thanks a lot - now it runs fine.
Best,
D
duoranger: At this rate it would had been easier if GoG had distributed the DOS version
RollinHellvis: There's no DOS version of Shadow of the Horned Rat though.
For me, it was enough to use the "Analyse wait chain" option in Task Manager, end the offending task, and the game went ahead without any trouble (Win 10).
Thanks it helped :)