It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I love the game as a whole. It is one of those games that makes me think old games are better than new ones, and XCOM should be a mod on this game not a 40K mod for XCOM. I have a limited amount of issues/changes I would like to adhere to namely being:

Squad loadout memory: I hate the fact that I have to re-equip my squad every time, even if I decided I like a certain default loadout. I usually remove one of the ammo clips, add a blind grenade, and trade one of my marine's weapons. The Assault squads are even wierder because I love Powerswords and I want to use a variety of weapons anyway. Although this adds to my second point.

Squad customisation: Okay, I know people are thinking I just want to be OP, but it's more a fact that I want to use more weapons than just my preferred ones. I'd like to give tacticals probably 1 heavy and 2 special weapons, and devestators 3 heavy weapons.

Squad Cohesian: So I used the multiple characters at once mechanic, it's great for shooting and a lot for melee but is totally useless at movement. Probably an AI mapping problem not being coordinated with other AIs but that's okay, but I would like to know a way to determine tactical squad members from squad 2 to squad 4, and stuff like that, so I can keep squads together.

Replacements: It's rather difficult to face losses and I don't know if they're replacable, I would have hopped you get new and fresh marines at the start of each system you go into. At least they're fresh so it's not like I'm not feeling punishment when a guy dies, especially if they've levelled up already.

I love the mechanics otherwise. It's boxxy which I like and rather simple to get your head around the battlefield, but it is still a tactically challenging game even on the lowest difficulty. Not to mention killing cultists is fun when they just come in on you en masse. The Frag rockets, the heavy bolter tearing away, the covering the flanks against the even greater swaths of them. They're fun, useless, and please stop using those pathetic little grenades all of the time you little buggers.
Commander_Grizzk: ....
First off, thrilled you posted. Every few months someone does and it gives me something to do for an hour on a game i have loved for decades. Some comments!!!

Wait... Xcom has a 40k Mod?!??!!? Explain.

Squad Loadout Mem - Great idea and would love to have this as well. But one of the many things we sacrifice for playing a 20 year old game.

Squad Customization - So I will assume you are not particularly familiar with the 40k table top game at the time. This was a raging debate many moons ago as the TT allowed Tac Squads to have what you suggest and squads were 10 men. The general explanation was around balance and making tac squads distinct in some way. What that really resulted in was no one using Tac squads the moment they had other options. But, what can you do? There is a bug that still exists that allows you to equip a Devastator squad with all heavies instead of just one. If you are interested, easy to search up, in this forum even.

Squad Cohesion - Personally, i always move individuals so I dont feel your pain here. I can say once you get deeper in the game, the squads you bring will be much more visually distinct and easier to pick out at least.

Replacements - I love this mechanic! One of the first games I recall using it and still on of the only games were I think losses really matter. Todays games (like XCOM EU, EW, 2) you can squad wipe after squad wipe but there are always fresh guys if you really want to go through the pain of leveling new ones. Even Darkest Dungeon can still be played if you lose all your heros. This is the only game of this type I know of where thats it. Likely another hold over from the source material, Space Marines are not easy to replace and are no where near them if they were. Its not uncommon in canon to simply have SM Chapters dissolve due to attrition.

You will learn to hate the grenades more as you advance as it knocks you out of overwatch. Cultists are there until the end for just that mechanic I imagine. Though I think they finally go away the final mission and are just replaced by krack throwing CSMs... ouch.
Commander_Grizzk: ....
muttly13: First off, thrilled you posted. Every few months someone does and it gives me something to do for an hour on a game i have loved for decades. Some comments!!!

Wait... Xcom has a 40k Mod?!??!!? Explain.
I saw somewhere a comment about this game should be made into a XCOM mod, but honestly I think this is the better game. Also you're welcome about the post, glad to hear it's of benifit. Sad to hear some of the mechanics cannot be/easily be added or rectorfied. Although it does look like the game of game that can be given a lot of mods, including new campaign packs, new missions, and new races. I personally love Tau.

I do not play the tabletop game of 40K. However, I first played Space Crusade, followed by some other titles like Dawn of War. I have played just about anything but the tabletop game that has taken all of the 40K glory.
Commander_Grizzk: I love the game as a whole. It is one of those games that makes me think old games are better than new ones
I love it too; it certainly shows its age in several respects, but I find it a prime example of a game you can enjoy without worrying too much about how old it is.
Commander_Grizzk: Squad loadout memory: I hate the fact that I have to re-equip my squad every time, even if I decided I like a certain default loadout.
Yes, a function to set and recall a default loadout would help, even if reviewing equipment, choosing the right men, rearranging squads etc. make for a great preparation to battle!
Commander_Grizzk: Replacements: It's rather difficult to face losses and I don't know if they're replacable, I would have hopped you get new and fresh marines at the start of each system you go into.
Well, to be honest, I think this is one of the main points of the game. Sure, it makes it harder, but it adds immensely to the tension and atmosphere, besides being consistent with lore. You feel like you're in a real war; it makes you care for every soldier; every loss is a tragedy. Towards the end, when you're left with just a bunch of marines, you could even start to despair about the final outcome; it takes a strong resolve to move on, but you know you can rely upon your elite men. When you finally pull it off, it's immensely satisfying.
Commander_Grizzk: However, I first played Space Crusade, followed by some other titles like Dawn of War. I have played just about anything but the tabletop game that has taken all of the 40K glory.
Same for me. Space Crusade on the Amiga (which I have finished twice) was my first encounter with WH40K even though I knew nothing about it at the time; I've never played the tabletop game. I tried the expansion disk, "The Voyage Beyond" once, but somehow I found it very off-putting and have never revisited it since.
Now I'm a bit undecided about Final Liberation.
Will definitely try Dawn of War and all the others...
cose_vecchie: Will definitely try Dawn of War and all the others...
Dawn of War truly is a fantastic series. Each iteration is a totally different game. Which can be off putting is you really like one over another, but what can you do. DoW 1 is a pure old school RTS, my personal favorite. DoW 2 is more individual mechanics, similar to Xcom. DoW 3 I personally have not invested a lot of time in as it didnt appeal to me at all. Its an attempt at a combination of the two prior with a heavy emphasis on the HeroHammer theory.

HeroHammer - being the tabletop communities pet name for Games workshops forsaking any sense of numbers having value and single hero models being capable of herculean feats.