It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I doubt anyone checks this forum anymore, but i want to know if its possible to play multiplayer or not.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
QuanChuloo: I doubt anyone checks this forum anymore, but i want to know if its possible to play multiplayer or not.
Last time I checked - which was years ago, but still... -, it worked just fine through the TCP/IP old method, using a direct cable connection. It was on a rig configured with Windows 7, if that helps...
QuanChuloo: I doubt anyone checks this forum anymore, but i want to know if its possible to play multiplayer or not.
Zaephir-Moth: Last time I checked - which was years ago, but still... -, it worked just fine through the TCP/IP old method, using a direct cable connection. It was on a rig configured with Windows 7, if that helps...
What kind of cable? also, how did they manage to get tcp/ip to work, whenever i try, it just says that it failed to start the game. and lastly, is there any way to connect via a virtual version of that cable. if you cant answer any of these questions, a link to the post talking about this would work too
Zaephir-Moth: Last time I checked - which was years ago, but still... -, it worked just fine through the TCP/IP old method, using a direct cable connection. It was on a rig configured with Windows 7, if that helps...
QuanChuloo: What kind of cable? also, how did they manage to get tcp/ip to work, whenever i try, it just says that it failed to start the game. and lastly, is there any way to connect via a virtual version of that cable. if you cant answer any of these questions, a link to the post talking about this would work too
RJ 45 standard ethernet cable : nothing fancy. Just what anyone needed to setup a good LAN party in one's house with a friend back in the days ^^. But I can't say much about your issue : all I did was make sure the direct connection worked outstide of the game - by linking the computers together through the standard Windows network setup and then sharing a file or two. Most of the time, it's quite straightforward if you didn't assign a custom IP adress to your computer -, and then clicking on the TCP/IP option in-game. I don't remember if I had to enter our IP adresses manually, sorry, but you'll find dozens of websites explaining well how to setup such a thing. Just google for something like "TCP/IP gaming" or "TCP/IP game connection guide" - I just checked -...
Nor can I tell if other virtual methods exist nowadays... You'd probably have better luck asking about that on any generic gaming forum about old multiplayer titles - or perhaps even Gog's general (technical) forums.

Edit : I came accross the initial release posts on Gog, and they're quite clear : the multiplayer component was disabled in this particular release, probably for technical reasons. I can still vouch that it does work in the regular one though...
Post edited September 14, 2022 by Zaephir-Moth
I love old games, and then I ran into this part. And shortly before her on the first XCOM, and so caught fire with the idea to play with a friend. I even have two very old laptops on which the game normally goes from the disk at all. BUT the multiplayer, as I tried, does not want to work. I tried absolutely everything, I even connected it with a cable. Nothing. It feels like there is some kind of problem with ports in the game code itself. So I really hope to get help from somewhere. Because the game is as cool as the first xcom, and at the same time also with technology, and even with a built-in map editor. And I think if you try, you can add new units and weapons. But why bother so much, if in the end there is no one to play with. Please tell me how to fix it?

Edit:Is there any version of the game where multiplayer will work?
Post edited July 23, 2023 by Aleksalt
QuanChuloo: What kind of cable? also, how did they manage to get tcp/ip to work, whenever i try, it just says that it failed to start the game. and lastly, is there any way to connect via a virtual version of that cable. if you cant answer any of these questions, a link to the post talking about this would work too
Zaephir-Moth: RJ 45 standard ethernet cable : nothing fancy. Just what anyone needed to setup a good LAN party in one's house with a friend back in the days ^^. But I can't say much about your issue : all I did was make sure the direct connection worked outstide of the game - by linking the computers together through the standard Windows network setup and then sharing a file or two. Most of the time, it's quite straightforward if you didn't assign a custom IP adress to your computer -, and then clicking on the TCP/IP option in-game. I don't remember if I had to enter our IP adresses manually, sorry, but you'll find dozens of websites explaining well how to setup such a thing. Just google for something like "TCP/IP gaming" or "TCP/IP game connection guide" - I just checked -...
Nor can I tell if other virtual methods exist nowadays... You'd probably have better luck asking about that on any generic gaming forum about old multiplayer titles - or perhaps even Gog's general (technical) forums.

Edit : I came accross the initial release posts on Gog, and they're quite clear : the multiplayer component was disabled in this particular release, probably for technical reasons. I can still vouch that it does work in the regular one though...
I love old games, and then I ran into this part. And shortly before her on the first XCOM, and so caught fire with the idea to play with a friend. I even have two very old laptops on which the game normally goes from the disk at all. BUT the multiplayer, as I tried, does not want to work. I tried absolutely everything, I even connected it with a cable. Nothing. It feels like there is some kind of problem with ports in the game code itself. So I really hope to get help from somewhere. Because the game is as cool as the first xcom, and at the same time also with technology, and even with a built-in map editor. And I think if you try, you can add new units and weapons. But why bother so much, if in the end there is no one to play with. Please tell me how to fix it?

Zaephir-Moth: RJ 45 standard ethernet cable : nothing fancy. Just what anyone needed to setup a good LAN party in one's house with a friend back in the days ^^. But I can't say much about your issue : all I did was make sure the direct connection worked outstide of the game - by linking the computers together through the standard Windows network setup and then sharing a file or two. Most of the time, it's quite straightforward if you didn't assign a custom IP adress to your computer -, and then clicking on the TCP/IP option in-game. I don't remember if I had to enter our IP adresses manually, sorry, but you'll find dozens of websites explaining well how to setup such a thing. Just google for something like "TCP/IP gaming" or "TCP/IP game connection guide" - I just checked -...

Aleksalt: I love old games, and then I ran into this part. And shortly before her on the first XCOM, and so caught fire with the idea to play with a friend. I even have two very old laptops on which the game normally goes from the disk at all. BUT the multiplayer, as I tried, does not want to work. I tried absolutely everything, I even connected it with a cable. Nothing. It feels like there is some kind of problem with ports in the game code itself. So I really hope to get help from somewhere. Because the game is as cool as the first xcom, and at the same time also with technology, and even with a built-in map editor. And I think if you try, you can add new units and weapons. But why bother so much, if in the end there is no one to play with. Please tell me how to fix it?

Not the version Gog's selling, that's all. But if you still own the CD version (or any non-Gog version from internet, elsewhere), yes, it should still works as expected.
Post edited July 26, 2023 by Zaephir-Moth