It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I've had this problem for a few months now, no matter what i do, unreal tournament 2004 just wont make any sound. I've gone to the audio mixer, updated my drivers. I dont have this problem for any other games. I've also got windows 7. I've noticed in the mixer that Utsk4 is not giving off any sound, and when i switch to safe mode it crackles for a second.
This question / problem has been solved by korellimage
Gam0rdude: I've had this problem for a few months now, no matter what i do, unreal tournament 2004 just wont make any sound. I've gone to the audio mixer, updated my drivers. I dont have this problem for any other games. I've also got windows 7. I've noticed in the mixer that Utsk4 is not giving off any sound, and when i switch to safe mode it crackles for a second.
We'll need more info than this.

1) What are the system specs of your machine?
2) What are the audio settings in the game set up as (a screenshot will do if you don't want to type all your settings out)?
What sound card do you have? I'd suggest installing OpenAL from here:
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip
Then go to the audio settings in the game and make sure System Driver is unchecked.
Gam0rdude: I've had this problem for a few months now, no matter what i do, unreal tournament 2004 just wont make any sound. I've gone to the audio mixer, updated my drivers. I dont have this problem for any other games. I've also got windows 7. I've noticed in the mixer that Utsk4 is not giving off any sound, and when i switch to safe mode it crackles for a second.
korell: We'll need more info than this.

1) What are the system specs of your machine?
2) What are the audio settings in the game set up as (a screenshot will do if you don't want to type all your settings out)?
specs:
Nvidia gtx geforce 250
6 gb ram
i dont have a sound card, but i believe my video card has one built in.
thats all i know.. it can run 2004 extremely well.

2. Well for right now the settings dont matter, i've got the music and effects sound jacked all the way up.

i also hear a crackle now when i switch safe mode on and off, same with the system driver.

Also, none of the above worked. :(
Post edited June 07, 2011 by Gam0rdude
I'm not sure that the GTS250 actually has a soundcard included in it (or that any GPU has this feature, in fact), but what it does have is the ability to pass onboard sound (from your motherboard) through the card to output it via HDMI.

However, being as you say other games work fine I can't see your setup being the issue here else you'd just get no sound at all.

And you've now tried Soilbreeder's suggestion of installing an OpenAL driver?

For me, I just use the onboard sound from my motherboard and haven't messed around with any sound drivers, so I've not specifically installed OpenAL myself though I daresay the game has done so when I installed it, and I have System Driver unchecked and sound plays fine. So, all in all, this is a bit strange.

Have you tried the usual Vista/Win7 fixes - running as administrator, running with different compatibility modes, installing outside of Program Files (e.g. C:\Games)?

Also, do you have any other games using the Unreal Engine 2.5 and if so do they play sound?
You could try this:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/unreal_series/ut2004_is_really_quiet_at_first
korell: I'm not sure that the GTS250 actually has a soundcard included in it (or that any GPU has this feature, in fact), but what it does have is the ability to pass onboard sound (from your motherboard) through the card to output it via HDMI.

However, being as you say other games work fine I can't see your setup being the issue here else you'd just get no sound at all.

And you've now tried Soilbreeder's suggestion of installing an OpenAL driver?

For me, I just use the onboard sound from my motherboard and haven't messed around with any sound drivers, so I've not specifically installed OpenAL myself though I daresay the game has done so when I installed it, and I have System Driver unchecked and sound plays fine. So, all in all, this is a bit strange.

Have you tried the usual Vista/Win7 fixes - running as administrator, running with different compatibility modes, installing outside of Program Files (e.g. C:\Games)?

Also, do you have any other games using the Unreal Engine 2.5 and if so do they play sound?
OH MY GOD!!
all this time i just had to run it as admin..
LOL
I ACTUALLY ROFLED WHEN IT WORKED!!
thank you korell!
Gam0rdude: OH MY GOD!!
LOL
thank you korell!
No worries, glad I was able to be of help.

Just out of interest, do you have the game installed into Program Files (x86)? I don't install games into there since the Vista (and Win7) UAC and DEP came into being as they can cause issues, especially with older games. Mine is installed in C:\Games so maybe this is why I've not had this same issue that you have had.

But in any case, it's fixed for you, so happy days! :)
Gam0rdude: OH MY GOD!!
LOL
thank you korell!
korell: No worries, glad I was able to be of help.

Just out of interest, do you have the game installed into Program Files (x86)? I don't install games into there since the Vista (and Win7) UAC and DEP came into being as they can cause issues, especially with older games. Mine is installed in C:\Games so maybe this is why I've not had this same issue that you have had.

But in any case, it's fixed for you, so happy days! :)
I have installed them there, and i know better too!
oh well.
On Windows 10 I had to install OpenAl and remove the "System Driver" option on the "Audio" settings in-game for the sound to work. I hope this helps someone.