It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Whenever I start up UT2004, the sound seems to be turned down low, even if the volume in both the game and my computer is high. I've noticed that if I switch audio devices in the Audio options in the game, the sound goes to what seems like a correct volume. No matter what I set it to, the game is always quiet when I start it up.
Is there any way to fix this? I am using Windows 7 64-bit, by the way. And I'm using a laptop if that makes any difference.
This question / problem has been solved by DainBramage77image
Try re-installing the game. I had this problem aswell on the steam version. I run Windows 7 aswell. :)
Well, I googled the problem and I found out that I had to go into my recording devices settings and set "When Windows detects communications activity" to "Do nothing." Seems to have solved my problem.
Post edited May 10, 2011 by Funke
DainBramage77: Well, I googled the problem and I found out that I had to go into my recording devices settings and set "When Windows detects communications activity" to "Do nothing." Seems to have solved my problem.
Thanks for sharing this one. Somehow, this only happens with the gog.com version and not with the retail version of the game (at least on my rig)...
I know UT 2004 has very low sound but need tweak
DainBramage77: Well, I googled the problem and I found out that I had to go into my recording devices settings and set "When Windows detects communications activity" to "Do nothing." Seems to have solved my problem.
Win7 steps:
Control Panel
Hardware and Sound
Manage Audio Devices (under Sound category)
Click the Communications Tab.
Choose 'Do nothing'.
Press OK.

It is probably similar in vista/XP, but this worked for me.
I just solved it unchecking "System Driver" in the Audio Settings.
I just stumbled onto this looking for something else. This is good to know, though. I have the same problem, and I just thought it was the game itself.
ANother way to solve this is to just go into the audio options press low qualiy sound then deactivate it again and it should go back to normal.