It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like:Chrome,Firefox,Internet Explorer orOpera

×
arrow-down2arrowcart2close4fat-arrow-leftfat-arrow-rightfeedbackfriends2happy-facelogo-gognotificationnotifications-emptyownedremove-menusad-facesearch2wishlist-menuwishlisted2own_thingsheartstartick
Hello, I'm overjoyed at the idea of re-discovering UW2 (it's been YEARS since I played it...) and discovering UW1 (never had the chance to try it), so I jumped on the GOG sales.

But I've got a very annoying problem with the mouse in both game. Basically, it doesn't move at all, or very sluggishly, if I try to move just a little, while it moves alright if I make larger moves.
It's like if mouse acceleration was enabled and on a rampage, but only for small moves (and YES I deactivated the acceleration/enhance precision in my Windows, and YES I also tried with it enable or disabled, same issue in both case).

It's really making it an extreme pain to try to play, as I'm constantly fighting over the control. Is it a known problem and is there a way to fix it ?
The best suggestion I have is to go into the configuration file for the games (usually located in "C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Ultima Underworld 1 and 2" if you installed to the default location; the filenames are "dosboxULTIMA1.conf" and "dosboxULTIMA2.conf"), find the line in the [sdl] section relating to "sensitivity," and change the number to taste. On my system sensitivity is set to 100, which works well enough for me, but your mileage may of course vary... play with this setting a bit (saving the file and relaunching the game after each change) until you find a setting that's right for your system.
Edit : okay, it worked !
Needed to put it to 200 rather than 100, and it seems to have make it finally able to cross some treshold and now my input is okay !

Thanks !
Post edited December 17, 2011 by Akka
I have the exact same problem and i can´t solve it. It´s ruining my experience in playing this game again after all this years.
avatar
Filipepinto: I have the exact same problem and i can´t solve it. It´s ruining my experience in playing this game again after all this years.
Did you edit the config file as instructed by TheKid965? That should help. If mouse is too fast, you can lower it, if it too slow, you can raise it. In some games, I am using as low value as 30, and in some games, I have value 400
Try disabling any mouse improvement offered by modern windows drivers.
I am using a RAZOR mouse (5000 DPI), which has a "movement smoothing" option in its drivers/controls after turning it off everything was OK.

That was all I had to do on Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Before I also tried to increase mouse sensitivity in DOSBOX but it only made slight improvements for me.
There's also a configuration program installed with the gog version of the game. I had a similar problem with the mouse being to sluggish, but I didn't have to change anything in the .ini file. Try going into the folder with Underworld and clicking config. You can change mouse sensitivity there. Cheers :)
avatar
Ikazuchi: Try disabling any mouse improvement offered by modern windows drivers.
I am using a RAZOR mouse (5000 DPI), which has a "movement smoothing" option in its drivers/controls after turning it off everything was OK.

That was all I had to do on Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Before I also tried to increase mouse sensitivity in DOSBOX but it only made slight improvements for me.
Thank you very much, yours was exactly my case with a Logitech G502, problem solved!
Post edited December 06, 2014 by kopper
avatar
TheKid965: The best suggestion I have is to go into the configuration file for the games (usually located in "C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Ultima Underworld 1 and 2" if you installed to the default location; the filenames are "dosboxULTIMA1.conf" and "dosboxULTIMA2.conf"), find the line in the [sdl] section relating to "sensitivity," and change the number to taste. On my system sensitivity is set to 100, which works well enough for me, but your mileage may of course vary... play with this setting a bit (saving the file and relaunching the game after each change) until you find a setting that's right for your system.
This worked for me as well. The only tradeoff was that I had to also lower the sensitivity in my mouse hardware (Logitech G700), while simultaneously raising it in the dosbox conf file. As a result, the cursor moves at basically the same speed, but now smoothly instead of sluggishly as before.