I've seen the Ultima 6 section before, and it's good. I think I may need to re-read it, actually.
One other Ultima 6 trick I like that isn't mentioned on the site (save first, as this *will* softlock the game):
1. Learn the Enchant and Armageddon spells, and raise the Avatar to level 7. You'll also need a staff. (This is a good time to save.)
2. Cast Enchant, and place the Armageddon spell on the staff. (You can place level 8 spells on a staff even if you're only level 7. You don't even need the reagents for the spell (though Armageddon requires none in U6); you only need the reagents to cast Enchant.)
3. Give the staff to somebody other than the Avatar.
4. Switch to solo mode for the character carrying the staff. (Press the number corresponding to the character slot on the keyboard to do this.)
5. Use the staff, and watch as time flies by, day changes to night, and vice versa. This will happen until you turn off the computer (or, if running in an emulator or vm86 mode, you can just close the window or kill the process).
This works because the Armageddon spell doesn't actually kill anything; it simply deletes every creature from the world (they don't even leave corpses!). The game will exit solo mode if the active character dies, but the programmers forgot to handle the case of Armageddon destroying the currently active character, so the game keeps passing time until the now non-existent active character gets a turn, which never happens.