It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Is the free version of Ultima IV the same as the one bundled in the Ultima 4+5+6 package? If no, what are the differences?
Yep, they're the exact same version. :)
if 4 in both are identical, why couldn't the deal be 5+6+7? That way you can get the ones your missing?

And not 8&9 since those had EA influence in the worst ways...

I suppose one reason would be if 7 wasn't in the same set as 4-6... Now i'm curious and i might have to watch the game reviews on it again...
Well its also the fact that Ultima is grouped in 3 trilogies:

The Age of Darkness I-III
The Age of Enlightenment IV-VI
The Age of Armageddon VII-IX
And keep in mind that Ultima 7 is two full games, with expansions for each. It helps make up for U8's lack of content, and U9's general awfulness.
GeistSR: And keep in mind that Ultima 7 is two full games, with expansions for each. It helps make up for U8's lack of content, and U9's general awfulness.
A two part game doesn't make up for 2 awful followups... The games really need to just go to fans who can possibly fix and redo 8 so it's workable, and 9... well it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, and completely ignore using 3D and go back to sprites.
The graphics were the least of u9's shortcomings.
In fact, I think it looks good for a 1999 game. But yeah, in the end I would also live in a better world where U8 wasn't rushed, and U9 used its original design documents and, probably, UO's aesthethics.
rtcvb32: A two part game doesn't make up for 2 awful followups... The games really need to just go to fans who can possibly fix and redo 8 so it's workable, and 9... well it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, and completely ignore using 3D and go back to sprites.
It just makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Who would buy U8 and U9 standalone? But if you get all of U7 with them, it's not such a bad deal.
GeistSR: It just makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Who would buy U8 and U9 standalone? But if you get all of U7 with them, it's not such a bad deal.
Where's a sarcastic commercial for this case?

You don't like Ultima 8 and Ultima 9? Have you heard they are crap and you don't want them? Don't worry! We will only sell them as part of a bundle with Ultima 7 so we can cram them down your throat! One good game and two crappy games for the price of two games! Don't worry! We have only your best interests in mind when we compiled this!

Yeah that would probably be it...

edit: and in light of recent news....

Preorder NOW for exclusive Gamestop Content for Ultima 8 & Ultima 9!
Post edited July 10, 2014 by rtcvb32
Actually I just checked and they're not even bundling 7, 8, or 9 with anything, so I'm not sure why you brought it up in the first place.