It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

When ever I try to install Tropico 3 I get an error message, unable to find d3dx9-41.dll. Any one else having this problem?
I haven't but have in other games such as Civilization 4. The answer (for that game at least) was to go to the Microsoft site and download directx 9c which seems to have elements not included in 10. So far as I know there's not an issue with multiple versions being installed this way.
Standup: I haven't but have in other games such as Civilization 4. The answer (for that game at least) was to go to the Microsoft site and download directx 9c which seems to have elements not included in 10. So far as I know there's not an issue with multiple versions being installed this way.
Directx 9c is entirely separate from Directx 10/11. You need still need Directx 9c in order to play older directx games in Vista and never operating systems. You can download it from microsoft download center.
Getting the same error. Any ideas on this with windows 8? Apparently can't run directx9 on it.
Kalliste: Getting the same error. Any ideas on this with windows 8? Apparently can't run directx9 on it.
Try installing this:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
Kalliste: Getting the same error. Any ideas on this with windows 8? Apparently can't run directx9 on it.
DeMignon: Try installing this:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
Thanks, giving that a try now.

That worked, thank you!
It runs a bit weird (the redist) and it downloaded sooo sloow. Once I downloaded it, I ran the file and it asked where to extract everything, I chose a location and it extracted and then took me back to asking where to extract.. I ended up cancelling out of that and then going to the location I choose and running the dxsetup file.

Looks all good so far :)
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Kalliste
For me also help just download this dll file from internet and put it to same folder where is exe file. Then it lunch without issues.
MikeshCZ: For me also help just download this dll file from internet and put it to same folder where is exe file. Then it lunch without issues.
Considering number of games that need various directX9c libraries I don't see any point of not installing it. Yes, downloading single dll might work for single game but do you plan to do same for every game that require dx9 libraries (some may require multble libraries or specific version)? And do remember that dowloading dll from random site always carries a risk of infection.
MikeshCZ: For me also help just download this dll file from internet and put it to same folder where is exe file. Then it lunch without issues.
Petrell: Considering number of games that need various directX9c libraries I don't see any point of not installing it. Yes, downloading single dll might work for single game but do you plan to do same for every game that require dx9 libraries (some may require multble libraries or specific version)? And do remember that dowloading dll from random site always carries a risk of infection.
Of course, this is issue probably with Windows 7, where DX is included in OS and game requires DX9. Don't know the details, this was first game which required this from me...
Petrell: Considering number of games that need various directX9c libraries I don't see any point of not installing it. Yes, downloading single dll might work for single game but do you plan to do same for every game that require dx9 libraries (some may require multble libraries or specific version)? And do remember that dowloading dll from random site always carries a risk of infection.
MikeshCZ: Of course, this is issue probably with Windows 7, where DX is included in OS and game requires DX9. Don't know the details, this was first game which required this from me...
It was part of Microsoft's plan to force people to adobt Vista when it was introduced. They offered DirectX10+, Internet Explorer 9+ etc. support only on Vista claiming the new versions were impossible to port to XP (took few weeks from some hackers to hack DX10 to work on XP so it was obvious lie). As we know, the plan backfired spetaclularly and Vista only reached few percent adoption (caused IE to lose huge amount of users too and DX10 was never really adobted by devs and they only started moving to DX11 couple years ago). This is part of why you need to install DX9c to Vista and above separately (Vista comes with DX10 and Win7 DX11 preinstalled. I forget what Win8/8.1 has). It acts sort of legacy mode for pre Vista games and programs.
Neeley: When ever I try to install Tropico 3 I get an error message, unable to find d3dx9-41.dll. Any one else having this problem?
Same issue here, fresh Windows 7 Professional N SP1 install
Installing DirectX 9.0c is not enough
Post edited August 10, 2014 by PuKoren