I tried using an external storage device to hold the runic games folders and content, but torchlight was
unable to startup with this change. i created symbolic links using the osx finder, but would hard symlinks work better, etc? can i make these using the finder?
also i tried using a device formatted in fat, and one in the osx filesystem case insensitive
here is the crash data that seems relevant
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000038
VM Regions Near 0x38:
--> __PAGEZERO 0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [ 4K] ---/--- SM=NUL /Applications/Torchlight.app/Contents/MacOS/TorchlightMac
__TEXT 0000000000001000-000000000105f000 [ 16.4M] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Torchlight.app/Contents/MacOS/TorchlightMac
Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_c.dylib 0x9075335f flockfile + 18
1 libsystem_c.dylib 0x90798e7f fwrite + 42
2 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x00a5fa26 CDynamicPropertyFile::saveSettings(std::basic_string<wchar_t, std::char_traits<wchar_t>, std::allocator<wchar_t> > const&, bool) + 288
3 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x00a5feaf CDynamicPropertyFile::SaveSettings(std::basic_string<wchar_t, std::char_traits<wchar_t>, std::allocator<wchar_t> > const&) + 33
4 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x008c6da5 CGame::CGame(std::string, CSettings*, bool) + 825
5 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x00a82f1d main + 653
6 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x008c1882 _start + 216
7 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x008c17a9 start + 41
i wonder what these string variables are refering to, the location of the settings file maybe?
ive tried placing only the save, and MODS, folders onto the case-insensitive disk, and leaving the
settings files in each folder hierarchy. the game now loads but does not continue or load any save game.
also ive tried instead of linking to the runic games folder as a base for the hierarchy, but instead,
Torchlight, and the game would crash like with Runic Games.
solved, thanks so much DeMignon. see last comment.
... any ideas about what might be going wrong would be greatly appreciated, as the hunch being followed now appears to be solved, without resolving the issue.
I found this on the Runic support forum, it's quite similar to what we were trying to do: https://support.runicgames.com/kb/articles/46-how-to-run-torchlight-on-a-case-sensitive-volume-mac
They're basically suggesting to move the "Runic Games" folder from "/Users/rub321/Library/Application Support/" to a case-insensitive disk. (You could use a thumb-drive)
Then create two folder structures on your original disk and create symbolic links to the moved "Runic Games" folder inside
1. "/USERS/RUB321/LIBRARY/APPLICATION SUPPORT" and create a symbolic link named "RUNIC GAMES"
2. "/users/rub321/library/application support" and create a symbolic link named "runic games"
Both pointing to the original "Runic Games" folder on the case-insensitive disk
Btw, if nothing helps, there's always the option to download the Windows version and run it with Wineskin