It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi all,

Since the 1.21 update i have been getting weird but very frequent game freezes, all the combat freezes but i can still move the camera around and change signs and use potions. But the animations just dont play.

With the old updates the game was always running on Ultra setting without issues.

Video : https://youtu.be/6Zqvjv8V4Gk
Post edited June 14, 2016 by slotenpiloot
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Update: Most likely a corrupted save due to old mods. Problem doess not occur with a new game.
Nah. It's not a corrupted save whatsover. Do you have the DLCs installed? If so, it seems Blood & Wine and the 1.21 patch is causing some serious problems. You an AMD user? I'm using an all AMD systems and the 1.21 patch is KILLING running it in Xfire. Even running in single GPU mode the stuttering is phenomenally bad sometimes. Also, the mouse gets jacked so bad that it's seriously causing me deaths, in game, to the point of ridiculousness. It just circles around and around like there's a HUGE delay in mouse responsiveness. Not sure what's going on with that last patch but I'm about to roll back. This seriously blows.
slotenpiloot: Hi all,

Since the 1.21 update i have been getting weird but very frequent game freezes, all the combat freezes but i can still move the camera around and change signs and use potions. But the animations just dont play.

With the old updates the game was always running on Ultra setting without issues.
This is happening to me all the timem now. I'm Intel/Nvidia so no AMD problems. I've just tried to kill a monster significantly higher level than me, hence the battle takes a while, after 16 minutes of slashing it down to a slither of health the game freezes! I reload as I quick saved just before that battle, twice, but it froze on me THREE times during a single battle and I gave up because it just gltiches too often to finish the battle.

This really needs to be patched because that dragon's loot should be mine.

The bug isn't exclusive to during combat as I have had it outside of combat before. Interestingly you can quick save when it freezes and reload everything is fine as a work around. Unless you're in combat and can't quicksave.
Post edited June 07, 2016 by MadBlueBin
Using AMD and a single GPU. Using blood and wine as well.
slotenpiloot: Using AMD and a single GPU. Using blood and wine as well.
See, this here is the thing. Someone shouldn't have to start a new game to make sure the game works as intended. ESPECIALLY, when my game is 210 hours strong and with my original Geralt. DLCs should be able to be installed and work as though we were playing only 1 original game.

Also, I KNOW we're talking about CDPR. The devs are absolutely the best. However, saying that, Witcher 1, 2 and 3 all had a LOT of bugs prior to them getting ironed out for the most part. In the end, I know CDPR will beat the bugs down, it's just REALLY unfortunate that the game is suffering so much. I had this game cranked to Ultra on triple monitors at 5760x1080 with absolutely everything maxed and it played flawlessly. Now, well, now it's a buggered mess and I'd really not even touch it right now until the next patch. I don't want to do a rollback because I like what they implemented with the new patch. A lot.

Also, the thing that is REALLY, REALLY pissing me off is the mouse delay bug. I could live with some stuttering here and there but the mouse delay bug has cost me death after death after death. That's the kicker there.
I'll just post on your topic as we don't need two of the same threads.

I just experienced the glitch again while selecting Quen (not casting) using tab and the mouse, after this I was able to re-select it and the game continued, so it must be something to do with that shortcut wheel? The background of the game freezes if you quickly press TAB and it seems to be the same freeze that happens during gameplay.

Similarly if you hold TAB the background just slows down instead; I've had the game do this also where everything was now in slow motion and I still had to restart the game.
Post edited June 08, 2016 by MadBlueBin
Hard to tell if it is because of quen because i always use it, I have 3 points in exploding shield as well, but the game always freezes when i hit an opponent, not when i get hit.

Edit: Freezes when dodging as well in combat, even when not using exploding shield.
Post edited June 08, 2016 by slotenpiloot
Played the game a couple.of hours without using quen, no freezes so far.
Update.. Just had a bit of luck on the last one, Keeps freezing even without sign usage.. Mostly at boss battles :(

Video of freeze: https://youtu.be/6Zqvjv8V4Gk
Post edited June 14, 2016 by slotenpiloot
Just got this wierd bug too. I'm in the Blood & Wine expansion smashing the keyboard with my head more or less in combat when Geralt don't want to dodge when I tell him to ;)
Same issue here. I didn't use to have this problem before the B&W-expansion. And when I try verify/repair the files it just get stuck at 'getting file list' quit annoying really. Really hope they haven't abandon the game already and are still patching it.
Happened to me too, with patch 4.02. GoG forum doesn't allow me to post links, search on YouTube "The Witcher 3 freezes bug (patch 4.02)".