It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello there, my problem is the following:
I want to play The Witcher 2 with my gamepad, and it's recognized by Windows as a 360 one, furthermore the game recognizes it the first time I run the game from a fresh re(start) of the PC, so I'm guessing there's no problem there. But if I try to run the game later on, without restart the computer, it inexplicably stops working, I can only use K+M to navigate the menu, and there's no option of Gamepad in the Controls Options. I tried to find a solution through Google, but the only problems that appear, are from people who don't own a 360 pad, and therefore need an emulator, but that's not my problem. The game clearly recognizes my controller on the 1st time I play the game. Is this a known problem, or am I going to have to restart my PC everytime I wanna play?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Astyu: Hello there, my problem is the following:
I want to play The Witcher 2 with my gamepad, and it's recognized by Windows as a 360 one, furthermore the game recognizes it the first time I run the game from a fresh re(start) of the PC, so I'm guessing there's no problem there. But if I try to run the game later on, without restart the computer, it inexplicably stops working,
That's a driver issue.

That's a driver issue.
So you think it's a controller driver issue? If I make Windows reinstall the driver, the controller will always work on the Witcher 2? Because I can use the controller in Witcher 2 just fine when I'm coming from a fresh boot or restart. And in any other game I don't have any problems, that doesn't seem drivers issues :S Well, I guess it doesn't take much time reinstalling the drivers, I will try it and update the situation with what I get.

EDIT:
Well before even reinstalling the drivers, I tried and got to play the game 3 times with the controller without restarting my computer, but eventually I couldn't! Reinstalled the drivers, and same story. I'm giving up on playing with controller, but I'm hoping someone can help me fix this nonetheless, for the future and for other people.
Post edited February 28, 2018 by Astyu
It's happening the same in The Witcher 3 :/ Well, I guess the problem is the same. Saw somehere that it could be because of overlays, but I deactivated all overlays I had, and still the same...
Windows 10 sometimes is picky. Try to install the driver by hand. Either the latest version and/or an older version (like 1 version back). I am using a 360 gamepad and had some issues (when I last played). In the end it was solved for me by manually installing the drivers by hand, as the automatic installtion from win 10 created issues. :)
(if you use win 10 that is ^^)
Post edited March 09, 2018 by keibetsu
Astyu: Hello there, my problem is the following:
I want to play The Witcher 2 with my gamepad, and it's recognized by Windows as a 360 one, furthermore the game recognizes it the first time I run the game from a fresh re(start) of the PC, so I'm guessing there's no problem there. But if I try to run the game later on, without restart the computer, it inexplicably stops working, I can only use K+M to navigate the menu, and there's no option of Gamepad in the Controls Options. I tried to find a solution through Google, but the only problems that appear, are from people who don't own a 360 pad, and therefore need an emulator, but that's not my problem. The game clearly recognizes my controller on the 1st time I play the game. Is this a known problem, or am I going to have to restart my PC everytime I wanna play?
Many games are designed for keyboard control. Generally because there is so much complex interaction.

All the Witcher games are like this.
Surfinjo: Many games are designed for keyboard control. Generally because there is so much complex interaction.

Actually the way Witcher 2 and 3 are, I'm pretty sure they were design with a controller in mind, and many people were annoyed by that.

But getting on topic, I'm not having the problem anymore, and I'm guessing the problem wasn't with Witcher 2 and 3, it was just a coincidence that it began when I started playing Witcher 2. I think the problem was that somehow Windows had installed the same driver twice, or though that there were 2 controllers connected, or something like that.
Surfinjo: Many games are designed for keyboard control. Generally because there is so much complex interaction.

Astyu: Actually the way Witcher 2 and 3 are, I'm pretty sure they were design with a controller in mind, and many people were annoyed by that.

But getting on topic, I'm not having the problem anymore, and I'm guessing the problem wasn't with Witcher 2 and 3, it was just a coincidence that it began when I started playing Witcher 2. I think the problem was that somehow Windows had installed the same driver twice, or though that there were 2 controllers connected, or something like that.
I have just watched a review of game controllers on YouTube, published a little over a year ago, wheere the reviewer claimed that there were problems with BlueTooth controllers and Windows.

Might be a source of the problem.

I will say, I found it impossible to map my (now destroyed) wired Speedlink Black Widow controller to any Witcher games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Buf2kfsP5o&ab_channel=SplitScreenGamer