It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I didn't see a topic for this but is this game playable with an xbox 360 controller? My hand tends to cramp up when i use a mouse for video games and I do not want to use my laptop mouse as it clicks randomly.
First witcher? No. You could use some software to try to set your buttons but it would be still horrible. It's truly meant to play with mouse. I mean, inventorys would be problem. And I use the closest camera (OTS) and I would never play this with a controller. Witcher 2, I think has a support for xbox-controller.
I have xbox-controller (the version that is meant to be with windows) also and I like to use it in some games but it would not work in this. In theory, perhaps but in use, no way. Try the mouse and keyboard, it's not so bad . =)

Infact I cramped my wrist and fingers when playing with xbox-controller. =) Well that was hydrophobia prophecy and final boss but still.
Post edited May 25, 2011 by Antimateria
Ok well I just installed it and I will just try it out with a mouse, all I know is that I have been wanting to play this game for quite a while so I am very pumped. thanks for the reply
I found this through Google, it's from the (currently down) CDP forums:

Posted on Jul 24, 2010, 20:01:33
Many of people here wanted to play witcher with gamepad in their hands, but due of lack of native support it was almost impossible.
Some people used mappers like Xpadder and Pinnacle Game Profiler and despite they worked, many people was not able to create their own profiles and existing few was awkward and did not included half of features, so part of game still required use of mouse and keyb and game was barely playable with such configs... until now.
Thx to new features of Pinnacle Game Profiler, i was able to map absolutely every feature of game into 12+ buttons of gamepad.
I spent few nights in research in testing to bring myself and everyone here maximum possible comfortable gamepad experience that feels like it native feature of game.

I hope you are all gonna like intuitive mapping and will be able to sit on sofa and relax with gamepad in arms in front of your 42" plasma TV :-) Now you can forget about mouse and keyboard.

Most valuable features of this profile:

+All Signs and potions bound to 8 separate D-pad direction for quick access

+Since Dialogs have up to 8 answers and allow quick answers by pressing 1-8 buttons same d-pad buttons can be used in dialogs to quick reply without moving mouse cursor

+Witcher fight styles mapped to 3 separate buttons to quickly change the style

+All 5 weapon slots bound to separate button, you can use Steel and Silver weapon button also to cycle Witcher fight styles or to cycle weapons

+Cycling of all 5 panels with 1 button with ability to exit any of these panels by holding same button

+Quick access to 4 panels with shift button

+Quick save while you keep moving

+CTRL shift to separate items in inventory

+Intuitive mapping of buttons, easy to guess and even more easy to remember

-------

So thats how it works:

Directional Pad
Left/Right = Previous/Next Sign (hold 0.5 sec)
Left = Aard
Up Left = Quen
Up = Yrden
Up Right = Igni
Right = Axii
Down Right = Quick Slot 1
Down = Quick Slot 2
Down Left = Quick Slot 3

Left Thumbstick
MAPPED TO W,A,S,D KEYS = Move

Right Thumbstick
MAPPED TO MOUSE = Look / Move cursor in menus/pause

Click Left Thumbstick
Flip OTS Camera (Tap)
Quick Save (Hold 2-3 sec)

Click Right Thumbstick
Switch Camera Mode (Tap)
Switch OTS Camera Side (Hold 1 sec)

A Button
Draw Extra Weapon 3 (Quick Tap)
Group Style (Tap)
Inventory (Hold BACK button 1st)

B Button
Draw Extra Weapon 2 (Quick Tap)
Fast Style (Tap)
Journal (Hold BACK button 1st)

X Button
Non-Combat Mode (Quick Tap)
Toggle Visible Object Names (Hold)
Journal (Hold BACK button 1st)

Y Button
Draw Extra Weapon 1 (Quick Tap)
Strong Style (Tap)
Hero (Hold BACK button 1st)

Left Bumper
Draw Steel (Tap)
Cycle Style (Tap while steel equipped)
Previous Weapon (Hold 0.5 sec)

Right Bumper
Draw Silver (Tap)
Cycle Style (Tap while silver equipped)
Next Weapon (Hold 0.5 sec)

Left Trigger
Cast Sign

Right Trigger
Attack
Interact (while in non-combat mode or menus)
Drag items (Hold while in inventory or alchemy panel)

Back Button
Pause (Tap)
CTRL Modification (Hold when in inventory to separate selected items)
Shifted mode (Hold to directly access and close panels by pressing A B X Y)

Start Button
Switch Panels (Tap to cycle panels in order as they appear on screen
Game Menu\Close menu (Hold to access System menu while no menus opened or to close currently opened menu)

----
Since this is profile for Pinnacle Game Profiler, you will need to get this awesome program 1st (and forget your crappy xpadder kid), and then import my profile that you can find in attach.

In case if you use non 360 controller, Pinnacle should automatically assign buttons according to your gamepad type so controls would be:
(Logitech RumblePad 2)
A=2 B=3 Y=4 X=1
LB=5 RB=6 LT=7 RT=8
BACK=9 START=10
LS=11 RS=12
-----
I also requesting assistance of modmakers!
I want to mod Witcher UI to reflect 360 buttons in UI and also want to mess keybinding scripts to allow use of keyboard to navigate in that parts of UI that accepts only mouse.
So any suggestion of where to look for required files and tools to mod them, are really appreciated.

Feel free to post feedback too.
Seems like too much of a hassle. And pinnacle isn't free in a long run.. Somebody has seen a lot of trouble making that but that doesn't sound very intuitive controls. =) I'm left handed so I don't never use wasd and I usually hate if the game seems to have too much buttons. Anyway it's a long game you get used to it whatever controls you use. I just don't think that controller is quick enough or accurate for this game. But what I believe is not always right.
Maybe religious leaders and such will understand that someday. ^^
Antimateria: Seems like too much of a hassle. And pinnacle isn't free in a long run.. Somebody has seen a lot of trouble making that but that doesn't sound very intuitive controls. =) I'm left handed so I don't never use wasd and I usually hate if the game seems to have too much buttons. Anyway it's a long game you get used to it whatever controls you use. I just don't think that controller is quick enough or accurate for this game. But what I believe is not always right.
Just what kinda quick and accurate do you need? I played a bit of Witcher (not my favourite genre, but 5€ is too hard to pass by) and the main view (all 3 of them) would benefit greatly from gamepad controls. Menus would need to be reworked, but apart from that what do you need a mouse for... you rarely need to point somewhere accurately, everything would work as good or better with a analog stick and tons of comfortable buttons.
Thats of course if we talk native support which is not likely to happen =(
Antimateria: Seems like too much of a hassle. And pinnacle isn't free in a long run.. Somebody has seen a lot of trouble making that but that doesn't sound very intuitive controls. =) I'm left handed so I don't never use wasd and I usually hate if the game seems to have too much buttons. Anyway it's a long game you get used to it whatever controls you use. I just don't think that controller is quick enough or accurate for this game. But what I believe is not always right.
Npl: Just what kinda quick and accurate do you need? I played a bit of Witcher (not my favourite genre, but 5€ is too hard to pass by) and the main view (all 3 of them) would benefit greatly from gamepad controls. Menus would need to be reworked, but apart from that what do you need a mouse for... you rarely need to point somewhere accurately, everything would work as good or better with a analog stick and tons of comfortable buttons.
It would be nice if there was a native controller support. But indeed those inventorys and menus would need to be changed. And some modder could propably do that.
There's so many times that you are attacked same time in opposite directions. So you need to turn the camera fast and then click the specific enemy in a hurry. That's where I think where mouse comes in handy. If you are good with controllers, that shouldn't be the problem either. Well, there's the pause button but then it would remind me too much of a dragon age:origins. In that game I didn't mind pausing and looking around and issue commands. Infact i preferred that method in that game.
Over the shoulder camera is somewhat third person actionish. And I use that, all the time. So a bit polish and it wouldn't be impossible to play with a controller.
And those other views, well now that I think of it, it could be fun just run around with a stick and not clicking the mouse.
There was a game which I thought could play better with a controller but it didn't support it. I believe that game was Divinity 2: Dragon knight saga. And If it remains without controller support I think that's a shame. Because it seemed a fine game.
All in all, it's a matter of taste. And nowadays games should support controllers (not just driving games) because a lot of people owns those. Well, perhaps not RTS-games, but I don't play those. =)

And yeah, with witcher 2 released and all these years. I don't think that cd projekt is going to make any patches which could add controller.
Post edited May 28, 2011 by Antimateria
BakedGoods: Directional Pad
Left/Right = Previous/Next Sign (hold 0.5 sec)
Left = Aard
Up Left = Quen
Up = Yrden
Up Right = Igni
Right = Axii
Down Right = Quick Slot 1
Down = Quick Slot 2
Down Left = Quick Slot 3
Great effort.

Only problem is that it wouldn't work with an Xbox 360 controller with it's crappy D Pad.

It's hard enough using it's 4 axis let alone 8.
Npl: Just what kinda quick and accurate do you need? I played a bit of Witcher (not my favourite genre, but 5€ is too hard to pass by) and the main view (all 3 of them) would benefit greatly from gamepad controls. Menus would need to be reworked, but apart from that what do you need a mouse for... you rarely need to point somewhere accurately, everything would work as good or better with a analog stick and tons of comfortable buttons.
Antimateria: It would be nice if there was a native controller support. But indeed those inventorys and menus would need to be changed. And some modder could propably do that.
There's so many times that you are attacked same time in opposite directions. So you need to turn the camera fast and then click the specific enemy in a hurry. That's where I think where mouse comes in handy. If you are good with controllers, that shouldn't be the problem either. Well, there's the pause button but then it would remind me too much of a dragon age:origins. In that game I didn't mind pausing and looking around and issue commands. Infact i preferred that method in that game.
Over the shoulder camera is somewhat third person actionish. And I use that, all the time. So a bit polish and it wouldn't be impossible to play with a controller.
And those other views, well now that I think of it, it could be fun just run around with a stick and not clicking the mouse.
There was a game which I thought could play better with a controller but it didn't support it. I believe that game was Divinity 2: Dragon knight saga. And If it remains without controller support I think that's a shame. Because it seemed a fine game.
All in all, it's a matter of taste. And nowadays games should support controllers (not just driving games) because a lot of people owns those. Well, perhaps not RTS-games, but I don't play those. =)

And yeah, with witcher 2 released and all these years. I don't think that cd projekt is going to make any patches which could add controller.
you can attack in any direction with an analog controller, if games like DMC and GoW can manage a way way way deeper combat system, then it should be possibly with the rather simply one found in Witcher too.
Its only for first person view and RTS/RPGs where you have control multiple units where a mouse is better suited (for combat, handling inventory would be more cumbersome but the game is usually paused then anyway)
Npl: you can attack in any direction with an analog controller, if games like DMC and GoW can manage a way way way deeper combat system, then it should be possibly with the rather simply one found in Witcher too.
Its only for first person view and RTS/RPGs where you have control multiple units where a mouse is better suited (for combat, handling inventory would be more cumbersome but the game is usually paused then anyway)
Again, it's a matter of taste. And IF the witcher 1 originally had made with a controller in mind, I see no reason why wouldn't it work. But without it, it's pretty hard to make controller enjoyable. I'm enjoying the game with keyboard and a mouse and the controls are fine. Occasionally I hit the wrong key and take steel sword instead of silver. =) But that's it.
I've tried this pinnacle profile:

http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2923

It's decent. I tweaked it a bit more to match the Witcher 2 controls. It's not going to be as fluid as Witcher, but it's definitely playable.

I personally PC game on my couch with my 52-inch TV, so keyboard and mouse just aren't an option if I really want to enjoy the game.
BakedGoods: I've tried this pinnacle profile:

It's decent. I tweaked it a bit more to match the Witcher 2 controls. It's not going to be as fluid as Witcher, but it's definitely playable.

I personally PC game on my couch with my 52-inch TV, so keyboard and mouse just aren't an option if I really want to enjoy the game.
That's some big ass TV. =)
BakedGoods: I've tried this pinnacle profile:

Antimateria: That's some big ass TV. =)
Thanks. I'm actually a console gamer trying out some PC games, so for me it's hard to adjust to a 20" monitor with a keyboard and mouse! Pinnacle Game Profiler will hopefully work *good enough* for this game.
Antimateria: That's some big ass TV. =)
BakedGoods: Thanks. I'm actually a console gamer trying out some PC games, so for me it's hard to adjust to a 20" monitor with a keyboard and mouse! Pinnacle Game Profiler will hopefully work *good enough* for this game.
I hurled my 21" TV in the trash a year ago and now i don't have a TV whatsoever. But here in Finland at least we need a digibox to see some programs. So I thought that the TV must go. My monitor is 24" so I don't mind with the board and mouse.
BakedGoods: Thanks. I'm actually a console gamer trying out some PC games, so for me it's hard to adjust to a 20" monitor with a keyboard and mouse! Pinnacle Game Profiler will hopefully work *good enough* for this game.
Antimateria: I hurled my 21" TV in the trash a year ago and now i don't have a TV whatsoever. But here in Finland at least we need a digibox to see some programs. So I thought that the TV must go. My monitor is 24" so I don't mind with the board and mouse.
Ah. Not having a TV should be a virtue. So many trashy shows nowadays.