It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What's going on with the pricing here? I don't expect DLC to cost 60 times as much as the game.
Nothing's going on. It's basically an adaption of the board game which is (as far as I know) divided into the sets you see here in the pc version. Sure seems like a lot at first. But you have to understand that this is a very niche thing and it is cheaper than the physical game. These packs are all sold seperately.

See it more like magic the gathering. you can start out cheap with like 10 bucks for a beginner deck. But you can add more complexity etc along with more packs that can get pretty expensive if you wanna have all the cards (you dont have to).
thaumasiotes: What's going on with the pricing here? I don't expect DLC to cost 60 times as much as the game.
Talisman (the board game) has a lot of expansions, some of them with an extension to the original board. The digital version has even more DLCs, because you can buy single characters.

The DLC bundle has a lot of stuff, so it is worth the money. The discard on the base game is higher than on the expansions, so it may look too expensive. But it isn't (if you like the game ;)).
I wonder though, why they didn't include the woodlands ...
Post edited September 29, 2020 by Mondkalb
The board game has been getting content since 1983, that's nearly 37 years of content
I'm gonna chime in here as someone who really doesn't care about the game / franchise really, whatever it might be, but about what happened to the website.

I regularly check the "new releases" section of the main GoG page, and this release(s) has utterly broken that list. Even in the extended view of it, which holds 48 entries, "Talisman" has pushed everything else completely off the list. Even if you filter out the DLC entries using the filter options to the left, out of the 48 entries, only 5 remain. Rather than the pushed-off entries showing back up.

Due to this release, everything that has been pushed off the list by it has effectively been robbed of exposure. I certainly have missed a few new arrivals on GoG, due to this. The list was definitely not made to cope with this extreme amount of DLC entries flooding in.

Yeah, not really a fault of the game, as much as the website. Still majorly annoying.
Please fix that ASAP, GoG...
I still own the ORIGINAL board game, when it was just a one-off among a shelf full of board games and games with hexagon mats for battles, yes bought back in 1983 or so....in fact I had no idea of any expansions, as I guess it really didn't become popular here in Erie PA. The original game takes about an hour or so to play, and while fun, really isn't anything to write home about. In fact, the way it was designed is rather cheap, and for a base game, Hero Quest actually played a bit better even if it was a PITA to set up and had a LOT of pieces. Truth be told, one would think after "30 years of content", instead of a shit-ton of DLC, they would have been able to create one single World of Talisman game by now, incorperating the best of all the content, what "worked", while discarding what "didn't work", was unpopular, or broke the game mechanics.

Instead, 30 years of content seems to have brought about a money-drain, and endless supply of DLC to over-complicate the game and drain the wallets and life force out of the fans. I looked into the game seriously, as for the intro price it seemed a great deal, a bit of nostalgia and a new way to play a game I already own....until I saw the amount and price of DLC, and that the "entire set" would cost upwards of $100, for a simple board game with less value and work than say the new Cyberpunk game everyone is still waiting for. OR, maybe a dumbed down $35 for the "basics", which are still pretty basic, no major improvements or anything.

I agree with the other poster here, who mentioned fewer, bigger DLC releases. Seriously, two or 3 "character packs" for $5-6 is a better deal, and easier to install, than several $.99 drops! Then lets talk about the "decks"...even Cards Against Humanity lets you download and print your own cards free, you would THINK these digital decks would be more in a Legendary Pack format, for a single and not extravagant price. The "expansion boards" yes, those I can see to a point being just fine as is, although I would either instead make a NEW GAME after one or two of these, or release them WITH characters/decks, rather than hey, buy these little board covers/corner extenders, and then go out and buy these 5 characters to give you a better chance of enjoying yourself, or surviving, and while you're at it, you might need to pick up yet another set of cards....\

And NO, folks...you cannot compare a board game to a Collectible Card Game that has ALSO been around since the 80's/90's....Magic The Gathering is an entirely different animal, as is MTG Arena and MTG Online.

Is the digital game worth it? It MIGHT be, but I wouldn't waste money or time buying DLC until they change the packaging, and make it less of a cash drain. There's too many other games out there that already do that, and they are designed for the actual "serious" gamer, who typically does not PLAY board games or else they wouldn't be here in the digital realm! In other words, cash better spent elsewhere....sad but true.

Besides, there;s always the more fun, imaginative, granddaddy of them all, Dungeons and Dragons, in several forms, can be played with paper and pen or online, solo or in groups, even more content, and in larger packages, and even free modules available!
wolfenspiel: I still own the ORIGINAL board game, when it was just a one-off among a shelf full of board games and games with hexagon mats for battles, yes bought back in 1983 or so....in fact I had no idea of any expansions, as I guess it really didn't become popular here in Erie PA. The original game takes about an hour or so to play, and while fun, really isn't anything to write home about. In fact, the way it was designed is rather cheap...
If you had the first edition, then that would have had black-and-white artwork. I picked up the second edition (essentially the same but with colourised artwork). Also managed to get all the expansions for it (Talisman Expansion Set, Talisman the Adventure, Talisman Dungeon, Talisman Timescape, Talisman City, Talisman Dragons) which did greatly expand the scope of the game (I do recall playing one 4-hour session with 3 others).
wolfenspiel: Truth be told, one would think after "30 years of content", instead of a shit-ton of DLC, they would have been able to create one single World of Talisman game by now, incorperating the best of all the content, what "worked", while discarding what "didn't work", was unpopular, or broke the game mechanics.
In fairness, the base game has been refined (the Fate mechanic, making mules and horse-and-carts Followers rather than Objects) and some of the add-on boards are quite good (though quite different from the original expansion sets). The boardgame wasn't under continuous development though (Games Workshop did several other boardgames and shifted their development focus onto the Warhammer games due to the greater potential for addons).
wolfenspiel: ...I looked into the game seriously, as for the intro price it seemed a great deal, a bit of nostalgia and a new way to play a game I already own....until I saw the amount and price of DLC, and that the "entire set" would cost upwards of $100, for a simple board game...
Agreed - this needs serious discounting to be worthwhile (having said that, I managed to pick up the base game for $1.74 and the DLC pack for $25). The physical boardgame (and expansions) are now seriously expensive ($250!) - quite likely due to the miniatures included (the original game used cardboard standups for each character).
wolfenspiel: Is the digital game worth it? It MIGHT be, but I wouldn't waste money or time buying DLC until they change the packaging, and make it less of a cash drain. There's too many other games out there that already do that...
Compared to the non-discountable (short of a lucky find in a thrift store) physical game, the basic set is quite reasonable and gets discounted relatively frequently. You also have the computer doing a lot of the donkey work (which can mount up when you bring all the expansions into play - Destiny Cards, Day/Night cycles, Reaper/Werewolf/Harbinger movement, Dragon scales) and skip out on the setting up and tidying up afterwards.

On the other hand, you lose out on all the tactile fun of moving pieces around - gaming online doesn't match up to gloating in person when someone else gets turned into a Toad and a good chunk of the (non-bundled) DLC is just taking the mickey (Single character cards? Legendary decks to toughen up a game made too easy by other expansions?). Really there should be a bundle including all the DLC - and revised offline installers so you don't have to run through every single effing-one of DLC just to get an update to the base game (for those unaware, the base game download includes all the data for all the expansions - each expansion DLC just "enables" it).
AstralWanderer: [...] The physical boardgame (and expansions) are now seriously expensive ($250!) - quite likely due to the miniatures included (the original game used cardboard standups for each character).
More likely due to the revised 4th edition of the board game once more being out of print (from what I've heard elsewhere).
I am considering buying the base game with 5 expansions on sale this Christmas for less than $15 . I thing that’s a terrific deal considering each physical expansion is over $25-30 in stores. No set up, much quicker, no physical space, and almost unlimited replay value!