It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I know this Forum is about System Shock 2 but...maybe someone here can help me out.

▓▓▓▓▒▒Background info - skip this part if you like▒▒▓▓▓

I ran System Shock before just using an image of my cd and dosbox. this works fine on my gaming rig but not on my netbook.

I decided to try System Shock portable because that can run SS1 natively in Windows XP using VDMSound - so i thought.

So with SS1 Portable i can use the Gulikoza Dosbox build(this guy is just great!) and can use the official dosbox. That works fine although a bit slow(the machine im trying to run that game on is an intel atom dual core with 1.7 GHz and nvidia ion). Fiddling around with frameskip and cycles i can run this game mostly fine - in 320x200 but it slows down every now and then especially on deck 2.
▓▓▓▓▒▒Background info - skip this part if you like▒▒▓▓▓

So because that is so slow i installed VDMSound and setup dvoodoo(v1.50) -> Platform DOS -> Vesa 60Hz
When i start it however just a Vesa windows appears and i can hear the main menu music in the background but the game does not start.

I have to kill the NTVDM process and the Vesa process in order to close it.

Where have i failed?

I wish GOG would support Malba Tahan and Kolya so that this game can be released again here....
Post edited April 09, 2013 by eispfogel
I am now only using the Gulikoza(with direct3d) build because it is way faster and does not suffer from those severe slowdowns. I don't even have to use Frameskipping. So if anyone else wnats to play this on weak hardware - you should use the gulikoza dosbox.

Still i wonder, why the Vesa/NTVDM mode does not work.