It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Anyone have SS2 running under OS X 10.11 El Capitan?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Seems like updating to OS X El Capitan breaks System Shock 2.

Been playing SS2 for a while now on OS X, my second playthrough on this machine, worked fine on Yosemite.

Yesterday I updated to El Capitan (sidenote: to allow Go profiling tools to work without kernel modifications) and seems like SS2 doesn't start anymore.

When clicking the SS2 launch button on Galaxy Client, I can see the SS2 icon pop up in dock, it stays there for a while but then it just closes without any message.

Would try reinstall but don't want to lose my save.

Any fixes? Tried a quick search on the forums but got nothing.
Queen6: Anyone have SS2 running under OS X 10.11 El Capitan?
People? Yes.
ruxi: Any fixes? Tried a quick search on the forums but got nothing.
Disabling SIP should also get it working.
Post edited October 05, 2015 by Gydion
Queen6: Anyone have SS2 running under OS X 10.11 El Capitan?
Gydion: People? Yes.
ruxi: Any fixes? Tried a quick search on the forums but got nothing.
Gydion: Disabling SIP should also get it working.
Thanks!

I can confirm this worked.

System Integrity Protection (SIP) is an extra measure against malware so I wouldn't advice to do this.

For anyone else who wants do it anyways:

1. Restart Mac
2. Keep down Cmd+R, if on laptop, use the keyboard on the laptop.
3. Find Terminal application on the top menus.
4. Write `csrutil disable` and press enter.
5. Reboot.

Now the SIP is disabled.

For my case, the call of the many is too strong so I MUST get back to SS2 right now so I don't care.
Post edited October 05, 2015 by ruxi
Thx for the replies. I don't want to disable SIP, what I did was to copy out the "GOG Games" folder from the current SS2 bundle then repackage it in the latest Wine wrapper, so far so good the game runs and loads the saved games, no changes to config files or Mod`s. I use WineBottler to create a new application bundle, so far so good.

@ ruxi you can copy out the save games; right click the SS2 iconic Applications, select "Show Package Contents " navigate to drive_c - GOG Games - System Shock 2 You can then copy the save game folders.

Q-6
Gydion: People? Yes.

Disabling SIP should also get it working.
ruxi: Thanks!

I can confirm this worked.

System Integrity Protection (SIP) is an extra measure against malware so I wouldn't advice to do this.

For anyone else who wants do it anyways:

1. Restart Mac
2. Keep down Cmd+R, if on laptop, use the keyboard on the laptop.
3. Find Terminal application on the top menus.
4. Write `csrutil disable` and press enter.
5. Reboot.

Now the SIP is disabled.

For my case, the call of the many is too strong so I MUST get back to SS2 right now so I don't care.
Please see above.

Q-6
Post edited October 05, 2015 by Queen6
For me, the game works (I had disabled SIP to get totalterminal.binaryage.com working again). But the ingame brightness seems to be messed up. I think it's much lighter than it was before the OS X update, and the gamma slider has no effect. Anyone experiencing the same issue?
Mitranim: For me, the game works (I had disabled SIP to get totalterminal.binaryage.com working again). But the ingame brightness seems to be messed up. I think it's much lighter than it was before the OS X update, and the gamma slider has no effect. Anyone experiencing the same issue?
Try looking in the application package with Finder and open WineSkin, Set Screen Options and set Extra Gamma Correction to "None"

Q-6
I'm not willing to disable SIP - does anyone know if we'll need to wait for GOG to do something, or will it be possible to fudge the install once Wine have got round the problem?
martynpie: I'm not willing to disable SIP - does anyone know if we'll need to wait for GOG to do something, or will it be possible to fudge the install once Wine have got round the problem?
Try and reinstall the game or extract the game folder and repackage with WineBottler this worked for me.

Update still not working...

Q-6
Post edited October 18, 2015 by Queen6
Mitranim: For me, the game works (I had disabled SIP to get totalterminal.binaryage.com working again). But the ingame brightness seems to be messed up. I think it's much lighter than it was before the OS X update, and the gamma slider has no effect. Anyone experiencing the same issue?
Queen6: Try looking in the application package with Finder and open WineSkin, Set Screen Options and set Extra Gamma Correction to "None"

Q-6
Adjusting gamma in Wineskin.app has solved the problem. Thanks!
martynpie: I'm not willing to disable SIP - does anyone know if we'll need to wait for GOG to do something, or will it be possible to fudge the install once Wine have got round the problem?
You could update Wineskin.
Gydion: You could update Wineskin.
Is there a muppet's guide for doing this? From your link I see I have to update the wrapper (I think I've done that by simply slicking the "Update Wrapper" button in the advanced options of Wineskin), but also I have to update the engine - I can't seem to make any headway on doing that. I can only find an option to "Change Engine Used", but that basically shows me the one installed and doesn't allow me to change or refresh it.

I then went and download Winery, which offers me a way to download engines, but I can't find the same on used with the System Shoc 2 wrapper.

(I'm getting too old for this!)

Thanks,

Martyn
martynpie: Is there a muppet's guide for doing this? From your link I see I have to update the wrapper (I think I've done that by simply slicking the "Update Wrapper" button in the advanced options of Wineskin), but also I have to update the engine - I can't seem to make any headway on doing that. I can only find an option to "Change Engine Used", but that basically shows me the one installed and doesn't allow me to change or refresh it.
IIRC, you need to use Winery to pick the engine(s) to include which then creates the Wineskin wrapper. Change Engine should update the included engine. I don't have access to any El Capitan machines though.
Post edited October 10, 2015 by Gydion
SS2 Fixed under OS X 10.11.0

1. Download Wineskin Winery 1.7

2. Open Wineskin Winery and hit update, (below Wrapper Version) should download latest "wrapper "2.6.1 automatically.

3. Wineskin Winery hit the + "New Engines(s) available" and install a new Engine from the dropdown menu, I chose the latest 1.7.51

4. Open System Shock 2 Show Package Contents (right click), open Wineskin, open Advanced, open Tools Update Wrapper. Now Change Engine used to 1.7.51

5. System Shock 2 should now run on OS X 10.11.0

6. Attached is what you want Wineskin Advanced to look like after the updates with latest Wrapper & Engine versions displayed. With this method Apple`s security enhancements (SIP) is not disabled.

Q-6
Attachments:
Post edited October 18, 2015 by Queen6
Queen6: SS2 Fixed under OS X 10.11.0

1. Download Wineskin Winery 1.7

2. Open Wineskin Winery and hit update, (below Wrapper Version) should download latest "wrapper "2.6.1 automatically.

3. Wineskin Winery hit the + "New Engines(s) available" and install a new Engine from the dropdown menu, I chose the latest 1.7.51

4. Open System Shock 2 Show Package Contents (right click), open Wineskin, open Advanced, open Tools Update Wrapper. Now Change Engine used to 1.7.51

5. System Shock 2 should now run on OS X 10.11.0

6. Attached is what you want Wineskin Advanced to look like after the updates with latest Wrapper & Engine versions displayed. With this method Apple`s security enhancements (SIP) is not disabled.

Q-6
I shall attempt that tonight! Thanks very much for your help :)