It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi,

Has anyone had any issues with the sound being messed up? Sound is very glitchy and it doesn't seem to matter what option I choose.

If anyone knows how this can be fixed or knows where I'm going wrong I'd appreciate the help.

I've also tried the original sound card setup that the install feature used to offer and it still will not cure the problem.

Thanks in advance.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
KILLAINE757: Hi,

Has anyone had any issues with the sound being messed up? Sound is very glitchy and it doesn't seem to matter what option I choose.

If anyone knows how this can be fixed or knows where I'm going wrong I'd appreciate the help.

I've also tried the original sound card setup that the install feature used to offer and it still will not cure the problem.

Thanks in advance.
In the game configuration setting choose advanced setup and then soundblater16 for sound and general midi for music.

If you still have problems don't change the setting and instead find the dosbox configuration file and edit manually the audio settings there may be compatibility issues which migh require some trial and error.

Thanks in advance.
Det_Bullock: In the game configuration setting choose advanced setup and then soundblater16 for sound and general midi for music.

If you still have problems don't change the setting and instead find the dosbox configuration file and edit manually the audio settings there may be compatibility issues which migh require some trial and error.
Thanks for the info, I'll let you know when I get back whether it worked or not, I can't remember seeing an option for the soundblaster 16 in a configuration menu, I did find the DOSbox system though, I'll have a dig for the config option.

Thanks
Det_Bullock: In the game configuration setting choose advanced setup and then soundblater16 for sound and general midi for music.

KILLAINE757: Thanks for the info, I'll let you know when I get back whether it worked or not, I can't remember seeing an option for the soundblaster 16 in a configuration menu, I did find the DOSbox system though, I'll have a dig for the config option.

Thanks
I mean in the in game sound setup, there should be either a soundblaster 16 or generic soundblaster option, the advanced setup will let you choose separate devices for sound and music.
KILLAINE757: Thanks for the info, I'll let you know when I get back whether it worked or not, I can't remember seeing an option for the soundblaster 16 in a configuration menu, I did find the DOSbox system though, I'll have a dig for the config option.

Thanks
Det_Bullock: I mean in the in game sound setup, there should be either a soundblaster 16 or generic soundblaster option, the advanced setup will let you choose separate devices for sound and music.
Needed to adjust the DOSbox cycle setting Ctrl+F11 to bring it inline, having probably set the sound card up might have helped but this did the trick, only pain is I have to do it each time, but worth it for the 95 release! :)
Det_Bullock: I mean in the in game sound setup, there should be either a soundblaster 16 or generic soundblaster option, the advanced setup will let you choose separate devices for sound and music.
KILLAINE757: Needed to adjust the DOSbox cycle setting Ctrl+F11 to bring it inline, having probably set the sound card up might have helped but this did the trick, only pain is I have to do it each time, but worth it for the 95 release! :)
Weere the cycles low then?
Open the Dosbox config file and manually modify the CPU cycles then, the value I use is 70000.

Thanks in advance.

This totally worked! Just did the midi and soundblaster in advanced settings and had to fill in a few blanks back to default.
guys

Thanks for this thread but I'm totally stuck on how to get to the sound card selection menu. I just about remember what this is, from twenty years ago, but I don't know how to get to it. I have the stuttering sound issue (voices etc., gun sounds seem fine). It slows the cutscenes down and so on. How do I actualy access that dos based setup menu?
johnjosephwillia: (...) How do I actualy access that dos based setup menu?
The install creates a Shortcut in the Windows programs menu: Star Wars™ - TIE Fighter Collector's CD (1995) [GOG.com] \ Tools \ Sound Settings.lnk

If you cannot find that, create a shorcut file and put this in the 'Target' field:
"[INSTALLATION PATH]\DOSBOX\DOSBox.exe" -conf "..\dosbox_tiecd.conf" -conf "..\dosbox_tiecd_settings.conf" -noconsole -c "exit"

And in the 'Start in' field:
"[INSTALLATION PATH]\DOSBOX"

Replace [INSTALLATION PATH] with the full path to the folder where the game is installed in both, and make sure not to delete the quotation marks in the beginning.
Post edited September 29, 2019 by Links