It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello all,

In order to help most of you enjoying this wonderful game. I decided to pull of a list of the information you should know as of today.

1- Fix your game weird behaviors :
After installing the game you should install the community 1.02 patch available from here:
swrebellion.net/files/file/260-star-wars-rebellion-update/
Not only will it fix weird sprites display, but it will also, if you follow the whole install instructions, allow you to run the game full screen while preserving its ratio, even on ultrawide screens such as Odyssey G9 and alike. If problems persist, try to use a DisplayPort cable instead of HDMI, it can help.

2- If you want the game in french you can extract these files in the game folder:
swrebellion.net/files/file/258-star-wars-rebellion-patch-francais-officiel/

3- If you want to try the latest community editor (that I created and made available opensource) to adjust the game behavior to your liking, you can check here:
github.com/MetasharpNet/StarWarsRebellionEditor.NET/
But don't forget first to install the latest .NET framework from Microsoft page :
dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/7.0

4- If you want to play with the latest community patch we made for the 25th anniversary of the game (made for english version but could work on other languages, not tested though), you can run the latest version of the above editor available here:
github.com/MetasharpNet/StarWarsRebellionEditor.NET#25th-anniversary-installation-guide

The 25th anniversary patch contains :
- a whole new galaxy map updated with latest official star wars information (included Anaheim 2022 star wars convention latest canon map) relying on a selection of top 200 known planets/locations of the galaxy mostly canon with a few legends ones
- 80 high definition sprites for space fighters (X-wing, ...)
- 200/200 new systems sprites (initially the game used 26 for 200 planets)
- 200/200 new systems encyclopedia pictures
- 200/200 new systems tactical sprites
- 200/200 new encyclopedia descriptions
- 61/61 enhanced character sprites that include their base stats average
- 26/29 higher definition 3d models for capital ships

Screenshots:
github.com/MetasharpNet/StarWarsRebellionEditor.NET

5- Fast game start :
- rename ALBRIEF.DLL to ALBRIEF.DLL.OLD
- rename EMBRIEF.DLL to EMBRIEF.DLL.OLD
- This will skip new game's 5 minute briefings.

6- The game guides :
- GameFaqs community guides : gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/198776-star-wars-rebellion/faqs
- Official Prima guide available here : archive.org/details/star-wars-rebellion-guide/mode/2up

7- The community :
swrebellion.net/
swrebellion.link/discord

Have fun, bon jeu!

Don't hesitate to join us on discord to share your feedbacks!

PS to moderators : a pin would be nice!
Attachments:
1.png (419 Kb)
2.png (309 Kb)
3.png (282 Kb)
4.png (285 Kb)
Post edited October 09, 2023 by metasharp
Updated the patch.
It now includes by default the application of update-1.02-(dgvoodoo2-directx-2.8.1) that I just released today through the patch button.
Doesn't work for me as advertised. What do I need to do to not just have the game in its original resolution sit in the top left corner of the desktop resolution screen?
Even if I force dgVoodoo to use the original 640x480 resolution, it just won't do the switch. Also, it's not clear which of the two tabs - Glide or DirectX - is actually effective here. I didn't have this game back when it was new, I don't know.

[Edit:] Found out what the problem was. I was trying on a laptop, some laptop screens don' support scaling, and on my laptop the nvidia control panel doesn't even have any display settings (only the 3d settings).

Would still be nice to know how I can play in the original resolution with all those content updates.
Post edited May 20, 2023 by Ketzerfreund
Ketzerfreund: Doesn't work for me as advertised. What do I need to do to not just have the game in its original resolution sit in the top left corner of the desktop resolution screen?
Even if I force dgVoodoo to use the original 640x480 resolution, it just won't do the switch. Also, it's not clear which of the two tabs - Glide or DirectX - is actually effective here. I didn't have this game back when it was new, I don't know.

[Edit:] Found out what the problem was. I was trying on a laptop, some laptop screens don' support scaling, and on my laptop the nvidia control panel doesn't even have any display settings (only the 3d settings).

Would still be nice to know how I can play in the original resolution with all those content updates.
Are you opening the game using the cmd file or a shortcut to rebexe.exe with -w as option (same as in the cmd file) ?
Updated the patch today to include Kessel canon sprites.
added an install procedure link
Added a new version with a new Alliance Bulwark BattleCruiser 3D model (not final)
This fixed the "distorted black & white images" problem I was having since I got my current monitor. Thanks!
metasharp: it will also, if you follow the whole install instructions, allow you to run the game full screen while preserving its ratio, even on ultrawide screens such as Odyssey G9 and alike
This part isn't working for me -- I just get a hard-to-read 640x480 window that can't be resized/scaled/changed to fullscreen. (Running it without the -w option gives me unmoveable box stuck in the top-left corner, as Ketzerfreund mentioned.) I have an Nvidia card, and I *think* I correctly followed the instructions in that section.

Are there settings in dgVoodooCpl.exe that would enable a bigger picture if I changed them?
I saw in discord discussion that you fixed your issue. Can you explain how exactly?
metasharp: I saw in discord discussion that you fixed your issue. Can you explain how exactly?
Well, not really. I ended up deciding that running in the fixed-sized window was workable.

BUT, then I found out about the built-in Windows screen magnification function (Winkey +), which made the game screen size pretty much exactly what I wanted. So, all good.

(After finally finishing off the game I started back in 2019 or so, I'm trying out your 25th anniversary edition with the more accurate map. Quite enjoying it so far!)
metasharp: Hello all,

In order to help most of you enjoying this wonderful game. I decided to pull of a list of the information you should know as of today.

PS to moderators : a pin would be nice!
Thanks for this, it's a super helpful post and I would also like it to be pinned! :)

I just finished my challenge run where I was playing Rebels without using space battles, and I'm going to try an Empire run where I won't use characters at all. I'm going to try it on the 25th Anniversary map because it looks really interesting :)

Also, thank you for the development work on the editor and all the associated stuff.
New release!

https://github.com/MetasharpNet/StarWarsRebellionEditor.NET/releases/tag/swr-editor.net-3.0.8655.27221
- new character sprites completed (thank you LordLaForge)
- new CC9600 frigate 3d model
Any help would be great. I have a fresh install of Rebellion and have loaded the latest NET. I am having this error pop up (see attachment)when I try to open SWrebellion editor . I am wanting to install the 25th Anniversary patch.
thanks!
Attachments:
j87schaeffer: Any help would be great. I have a fresh install of Rebellion and have loaded the latest NET. I am having this error pop up (see attachment)when I try to open SWrebellion editor . I am wanting to install the 25th Anniversary patch.
thanks!
Did you extract the zip? Or did you run the exe from the zip.
Because you need to extract all to a folder and then run it.
j87schaeffer: Any help would be great. I have a fresh install of Rebellion and have loaded the latest NET. I am having this error pop up (see attachment)when I try to open SWrebellion editor . I am wanting to install the 25th Anniversary patch.
thanks!
metasharp: Did you extract the zip? Or did you run the exe from the zip.
Because you need to extract all to a folder and then run it.
Yes, I extract to a new folder on my desktop, I even made a separate folder in rebellion and tried it there. with no luck.