It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello,
I can no more launch the game on Ubuntu 18.04:

if I launch the game with the bash script:

$ ./start.sh
Running Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
dbus[26342]: arguments to dbus_message_new_method_call() were incorrect, assertion "path != NULL" failed in file ../../../dbus/dbus-message.c line 1362.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.

D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
./start.sh : ligne 15 : 26342 Abandon (core dumped) ./"Sphinx.elf"

or directly from the bin:

./Sphinx.elf
dbus[26529]: arguments to dbus_message_new_method_call() were incorrect, assertion "path != NULL" failed in file ../../../dbus/dbus-message.c line 1362.

Abandon (core dumped)

Thank you for your help.
Post edited June 02, 2018 by legluondunet
This question / problem has been solved by Swyterimage
The game doesn't use D-Bus directly. Thanks for the report, I'll take a look.
Post edited June 09, 2018 by Swyter
Alright, after installing Ubuntu 18.04, the base i386 libraries that appear in the 'System Requirements' of the store page and testing the 'sphinx_and_the_cursed_mummy_en_2018_05_23_21015.sh' release I also got the same error. It turned out to be a well known SDL2 issue that was introduced in the 2.0.6 version, and seems to happen only on the version that comes bundled with Ubuntu, take a look:

https://github.com/the-cavalry/light-locker/issues/36
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/5201

Luckily Sphinx comes with its own alternative libraries, the problem here is that it normally prefers to use the ones from the system, because in theory they should be better and newer. We can see that this isn't the case in Ubuntu.

As a quick fix, you can open that 'start.sh' file from GOG with any text editor and replace line 19, which looks like this:
> ./"Sphinx.elf"
...with this...
> LD_PRELOAD=./_fallbackLinuxLibraries/libSDL2-2.0.so.0 ./"Sphinx.elf"

Save and the game should launch. Let me know if that helps.
I have just reinstalled the game and I can not reproduce this bug, I think they recently updated the SDL librairies in Ubuntu 18.04.

But now I have a new bug, if my gamepad is plugged the game doesn't start and give me this error message:

$ ./start.sh
./Sphinx.elf: symbol lookup error: ./Sphinx.elf: undefined symbol: SDL_JoystickGetDeviceInstanceID

And I prefer play this game with my gamepad.
Thank you again for your help.
Post edited June 20, 2018 by legluondunet
Looks like that function was added in SDL2 2.0.6, which was released on 2017.07.22. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 from scratch just to test this bug and after doing the simple one-line change shown above editing the GOG-provided 'start.sh' it worked fine.

Doing that should also 'fix' this bug, because the newest version of SDL2 is bundled with the game as fallback and will be prioritized with LD_PRELOAD.

Let me know if that helps, it should.
with or without preload libs, the same error message:
./Sphinx.elf: symbol lookup error: ./Sphinx.elf: undefined symbol: SDL_JoystickGetDeviceInstanceID

To obtain this error message, you have to connect your gamepad before to launch the game.

If no gamepad conected, the game launches normally.
Post edited June 29, 2018 by legluondunet
I Understand better how this game uses libraries: when it launches, it searches for SDL2 librairies, but compiled in 32 bits. I hadn't SDL2 libraries 32 bits installed on my Ubuntu. So I installed them to see if I obtain a better result:

sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0-0:i386

Now when I launch the game I obtain again my first error message:

$ ./start.sh
dbus[4730]: arguments to dbus_message_new_method_call() were incorrect, assertion "path != NULL" failed in file ../../../dbus/dbus-message.c line 1362.

./start.sh : ligne 15 : 4730 Abandon (core dumped) ./"Sphinx.elf"

and if I use the libraries available with the game in the /game/_fallbackLinuxLibraries folder I obtain:

LD_PRELOAD=./game/_fallbackLinuxLibraries/libSDL2-2.0.so.0 ./game/"Sphinx.elf"
./game/Sphinx.elf: symbol lookup error: ./game/Sphinx.elf: undefined symbol: SDL_JoystickGetDeviceInstanceID

if a gamepad is connected.

Can you reproduce the bug with the gamepad on Ubuntu 18.04?
Post edited July 18, 2018 by legluondunet
Looks like the libraries included in _fallbackLinuxLibraries are SDL 2.0.5 and OpenAL Soft 1.13, which may explain the issue. After connecting my gamepad I can also reproduce the symbol lookup error.

I have updated them to SDL 2.0.6 and OpenAL Soft 1.16 and now overriding libraries with a gamepad works for me; unpack and replace your _fallbackLinuxLibraries with the new files and let me know if the LD_PRELOAD tricks works.

Here is the link with the new libraries: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13JdSD7J9r3aSEylnwMjhu13iiPCRy0XL

Hopefully the game should launch and I will include this in the updated Linux package.
Post edited July 18, 2018 by Swyter
still crash:

$ ./start.sh
dbus[11257]: arguments to dbus_message_new_method_call() were incorrect, assertion "path != NULL" failed in file ../../../dbus/dbus-message.c line 1362.

./start.sh : ligne 15 : 11257 Abandon (core dumped) LD_PRELOAD=./_fallbackLinuxLibraries/libSDL2-2.0.so.0 ./"Sphinx.elf"

or from the game directory:

/game$ LD_PRELOAD=./_fallbackLinuxLibraries/libSDL2-2.0.so.0 ./"Sphinx.elf"
dbus[11450]: arguments to dbus_message_new_method_call() were incorrect, assertion "path != NULL" failed in file ../../../dbus/dbus-message.c line 1362.

Abandon (core dumped)
Post edited July 20, 2018 by legluondunet
These dynamic libraries are the ones from the Steam runtime. Super weird Ubuntu incompatibilities, I believe the D-Bus support was added on SDL 2.0.6 for battery reporting. I don't get any of these issues with Arch Linux + multilib for 32-bit support.

The only thing I can suggest you apart from using an older game version (anything earlier than March 2018 won't use SDL_JoystickGetDeviceInstanceID so it should work fine out of the box) is to build a custom i386 version of SDL2 (2.0.6 or later) without D-Bus support and paste it in _fallbackLinuxLibraries.

This is funny because the game itself seems fine, SDL2 crashes on initialization and brings down the entire process with it.
Alright, does this work? I have compiled a i386 version of SDL 2.0.8 without D-Bus or power support, just for you:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ffKvmRv4rUUgakCgYj8xPEbzKnh_cLBb

Replace the one in _fallbackLinuxLibraries and let me know if it works with the LD_PRELOAD trick. Fingers crossed.
Post edited July 20, 2018 by Swyter
Swyter: Alright, does this work? I have compiled a i386 version of SDL 2.0.8 without D-Bus or power support, just for you
Finally it launches!!! Even if the gamepad is connected. Thanks you very much!!!
Post edited July 21, 2018 by legluondunet
Glad you can finally play! Took a while to figure things out, I'll include the updated SDL2 library in the next GOG update, even if you may have to keep using the LD_PRELOAD trick to avoid using the buggy one shipping with Ubuntu.

Thanks for being patient, it's always nice to see how helpful Linux users usually are.
Swyter: Glad you can finally play! Took a while to figure things out, I'll include the updated SDL2 library in the next GOG update, even if you may have to keep using the LD_PRELOAD trick to avoid using the buggy one shipping with Ubuntu.

Thanks for being patient, it's always nice to see how helpful Linux users usually are.
I just wanted to thank you for being so responsive and open.

I was unsure about buying the game at 67% off when I've already blown my gaming budget on 80%+ off games in the winter sale (I tend to prioritize purchases based on discount percentage and I usually only impulse-buy at 75%+ off or $2 or lower) but, seeing how you've been responding in here (both overall and for Linux support, which tends to languish), you'd deserve the money no matter how much I'd gone over my budget.

Even if I get so side-tracked on the rest of my collection that I never get around to playing this after I finish what I'm currently on, I'd still think it worth it to reward you for how you've been going about things. (I just hope that, when I do get around to playing it, I remember to put up a review, given that the negative reviews reference problems you appear to have fixed and none of the positive reviews mention that.)