I put a simcity 4 disk into my computer, but it won't do anything. I can't run the game, or install it (i don't remember if i have it or not) and i just want to play. I'm using a Windows 8.1. It's registering that the disk is in, but even forcing it to start won't work. It might just be obvious, but the disk i'm using says Disk 2. Am i supposed to use Disk 1? It's also old, so that might be a problem as well.
The retail version has the SafeDisc copy protection system, which had its driver disabled on Windows Vista through 8.1 and completely removed in Windows 10, rendering many games (including SimCity 4) inoperable without workarounds.
You can do the following:
1. Go to the Control Panel. Choose Windows Update, then Installed Updates.
2. In the list of updates, search for the one that has the number KB3086255.
3. Right-click on it and remove it.
4. Restart your computer.
5. Go back to the Control Panel, then Windows Update. Manually check for updates.
6. When the list of pending updates appears, choose Important Updates.
7. Right-click on the KB3086255 update and click “Hide This Update”.
8. Exit the Control Panel.
Or, you can buy the SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
(base game + Rush Hour expansion) here at GOG, as games sold on GOG have DRM methods like SafeDisc and SecuROM removed.