It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi GoG,

I just bought SimCity 3000 last weekend, but now it seems to have various problems with displaying contents.
My machine is Windows 7 SP1 64-bit with Nvidia GTX750Ti.
The issues I experienced are about game display and resolution.

First, the opening video is pitch black but I was able to hear the sound and music.
Then I ESC'd to the main menu, but there is only a Maxis logo and the background picture on it.
I cannot see any of the items that supposed in the main menu. (They went transparent, I thought)
If I hover and click the cursor everywhere on the screen, there are chances that I will click on a item and show some old-styled "Open File" menu. (It supposed to be "Open Saved Games" I believe).
And more than that, the "Open File" menu does not have any word characters in it.
The resolution went down to like 1024x768 on my screen and Windows 7 mentioned it stops some of the color effects.

I've tried to launch the game by GoG Galaxy or the Start Menu icon.
Also Windows XP compatibility mode is enabled, too.
And the issues remain.
Hope these information will help you guys to figure out the root cause.
If you need extra information please reply and let me know.

Cheers,
This question / problem has been solved by MagicRobertsonimage
Have you tried some of the things tried in this subforum? Eg:
1.) Try what Crimson SkyDux and Stainer did
2.) Use the high res patcher that also solves a couple of other issues
3.) Uhm, reboot
Matewis: Have you tried some of the things tried in this subforum? Eg:
3.) Uhm, reboot
Thanks a a lot, Matewis. But no luck at all.
I think I'll just sit back and wait if there is any news from the developers.
Or I should give it a try using virtual machine with Windows XP first.
Matewis: Have you tried some of the things tried in this subforum? Eg:
3.) Uhm, reboot
ArchRanger: Thanks a a lot, Matewis. But no luck at all.
I think I'll just sit back and wait if there is any news from the developers.
Or I should give it a try using virtual machine with Windows XP first.
Sorry to hear that :( This thread might prove useful then:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/pc_games_running_in_virtual_machines
Snowkatt decided to try out several games on several diffierent virtual machine emulators, and posted the results. It might be worth posting there if you succeed in running sc3000 through one of them.
Hey i had the exact same problem and i fixed it by right clicking on the desktop and going into the nvidia display properties, under 3D management i set DSR factors to zero/off (basically disabling them) and it fixed it.

Edit---

Here's what Gog support says

In late January, NVIDIA introduced in tis drivers the Supersampling option. It essentially renders the game in up to quadruple resolution, and scales it back down to your actual resolution. This is a specific anti-aliasing method, rarely implemented in games (Witcher 2 was an exception, and called it "Ubersampling").
It is enabled by default on GTX 980 cards, and optional on others.
It has been known to cause launch issues with older games, as it forces them to use an unsupported resolution.

To disable this option, right-click your desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel". Go to "3D Settings" and find the "DSR - Factors" option. Un-select all possible settings and confirm. This should change the setting to "Off". Apply the changes and check if this resolved the issue.
Post edited July 22, 2016 by MagicRobertson
MagicRobertson: Hey i had the exact same problem and i fixed it by right clicking on the desktop and going into the nvidia display properties, under 3D management i set DSR factors to zero/off (basically disabling them) and it fixed it.

Edit---

Here's what Gog support says

In late January, NVIDIA introduced in tis drivers the Supersampling option. It essentially renders the game in up to quadruple resolution, and scales it back down to your actual resolution. This is a specific anti-aliasing method, rarely implemented in games (Witcher 2 was an exception, and called it "Ubersampling").
It is enabled by default on GTX 980 cards, and optional on others.
It has been known to cause launch issues with older games, as it forces them to use an unsupported resolution.

To disable this option, right-click your desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel". Go to "3D Settings" and find the "DSR - Factors" option. Un-select all possible settings and confirm. This should change the setting to "Off". Apply the changes and check if this resolved the issue.
Hi Robertson,

You're the man, this really works! Now the intro video and the game main menu showed up!

Well in fact this is automatically solved after I upgrade my Windows 7 system to Windows 10.
Another possible factor is that I re-install the whole Nvidia driver and Nvidia Experience software.
Because I'm sure the "DSR - Factor" option is never showed up in my old Windows 7 system, didn't know the reason.
But after the system upgrade completed and all Nvidia package is installed with the latest version,
the DSR option suddenly appears and the default is "OFF".
Not sure if the Windows 10 system leads to the option to appear or the re-installation of Nvidia package helped to solved the issue.
I've always upgrade the Nvidia drivers and software to the latest version before upgrade to Windows 10.

Cheers, and thanks so much!