It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey folks!

I'd like to buy SimCity 2000 for my MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur (11.0.1) for some sweet nostalgia over the darker and colder months of the year. I had trouble running old games on Mac bought via steam before. For instance Jagged Alliance 2 is not working because of the 64bit thingy. So I'm afraid I'll buy this game now and won't be able to play it. Do I need anything additionally? I read something about DosBox. Where do I get it and how does it work? I've never purchased through GOG.com (I'm on PS4).

Thank you in advance you dear people of the internet.

BR Alex
This question / problem has been solved by 01kipperimage
adindaclub: Hey folks!

I'd like to buy SimCity 2000 for my MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur (11.0.1) for some sweet nostalgia over the darker and colder months of the year. I had trouble running old games on Mac bought via steam before. For instance Jagged Alliance 2 is not working because of the 64bit thingy. So I'm afraid I'll buy this game now and won't be able to play it. Do I need anything additionally? I read something about DosBox. Where do I get it and how does it work? I've never purchased through GOG.com (I'm on PS4).

BR Alex
The game should work without any extra effort on your part.

The Mac version of GOG's SimCity 2000 comes with DOSBox, so when you run the app it automatically runs the game inside its own copy of DOSBox.

I'm using Catalina (haven't upgraded to Big Sur yet) and I just tested re-installing it as I already own the game here and it works fine, but I don't see why Big Sur would make any difference in this case.

The only difficulty I had is that the MacOS permissions don't like GOG's installers so I had to try to open the installer twice before it would let me open it.

GOG also has a 30 day Refund Policy:
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006129837-GOG-COM-Voluntary-Refund-Policy?product=gog
Post edited December 08, 2020 by 01kipper
adindaclub: Hey folks!

BR Alex
Edit: What 01kipper said. Should have refreshed the thread before replying. Woops.

On my Catalina MacBook Pro, simply using the website, making sure to select Mac, and downloading the Offline installer, then RIGHT CLICK on the install package and click OPEN and tell it to open anyways in the popup window. it kind of defaulted to Documents instead of Applications... which is fine I suppose, but I was quick on clicking thru on the permissions stuff. You will want to be aware it wants Input permissions while it starts up the first time, which will be soon hidden when the DOSBox goes full screen. Anyways, it seems to run fine and seems to include the 64bit Mac DOSBox. I have no current way to test on Big Sur (breaks very important things required for my work).
Post edited December 08, 2020 by zandrag
Kudos to 01kipper and zandrag! Happy holidays!