It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello everyone,

Back in time I play SC2000 on Macintosh at a friend's. I don't know what computer he had exactly, or what setup. I don't remember neither what the tune sounded like when I played it on Mac.

SC2000's (so the first SC's) melodies are something I remember even 30 years later. Now I want to find it back, but I can see there are tons of versions of it: "general MIDI", "SoundBlaster", "MS-DOS", "Roland", etc., etc.

So I have two questions for you, please:

1/ what is the very original version the composers (Sue Kasper, Brian Conrad and Justin McCormick) did for the very first version of the game --which is the Mac one if I'm not wrong--? Or is there several 'first version' the they did, depending on the users' computer setups (MIDI...)?

2/ Among all those different versions, which is the best, the optimal, the more complete one? By 'complete', I mean we know there are versions with poor numbers of sound available, and 'orchestral' versions for people having the best setups, and the way the composers wanted it to be, but they had to 'downgrade' it to suit everyone.

I hope I'm clear, if not let me know, I'll try to precize more.

Thank you for your help.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
1) The game was first programmed on a Macintosh. The manual and credits reference this fact. The Macintosh had completely different sound capabilities to the PC at the time; but largely sounded the same across Macs; Macintosh was a platform standard. There is not going to be an exact match.

2) The 1990s was kind of an awful wild west of sound cards. Just pick what sounds best to you, because unless you've got a MIDI Mountain laying around, there's no way you'll get it to sound like the original.
Thanks for the reply. I've asked another forum some help, and yea, it's not an easy question at all. I ended up getting the Roland SC-55 version. It's maybe not the original one, but it's the one that sounds the most what I remember of, back in the mid-90s.

Someone found me the (apparently) original Mac MIDI files, but listened alone makes the tunes wrong, we need a soundfond to make them "right". I didn't succeed using one, so I gave up, and I'll be good with the YouTube SC-55 version.

I can't put links here. :-/
vegansound: Thanks for the reply. I've asked another forum some help, and yea, it's not an easy question at all. I ended up getting the Roland SC-55 version. It's maybe not the original one, but it's the one that sounds the most what I remember of, back in the mid-90s.

Someone found me the (apparently) original Mac MIDI files, but listened alone makes the tunes wrong, we need a soundfond to make them "right". I didn't succeed using one, so I gave up, and I'll be good with the YouTube SC-55 version.

I can't put links here. :-/
You can't link here because you don't have enough posting reputation. It's a good idea executed stupidly.